American Sound, "The Absolute Nothing"

I like all analog speed controllers. The Brinkmann is an all analog system, as well.
the Brinkmann balance is a great table. If it was 100k only this forum would notice

He has lost hifi enthusiasm, I can’t explain why.

further discussion is available on the thread where Peter said tang’s Eurodyn system had the best videos he has heard and I pointed out he has not been playing it since April 2023 and adyc posted a screenshot of tang saying so on YouTube.

But to summarise, his Neumann had stopped working, his Lamm ml2 which is used on subs had sockets not working (apparently a known issue with their stock sockets which can be fixed by replacing them with vintage johnson sockets) and his ML3 which is used on the main speakers had tube issues.

The amp problems can be fixed and he has other carts but he has not been interested in restarting. I don’t push since I did not like any of his videos and irked at not getting the regular diet of his Cessaro videos. They were sounding great and he was investing in good music and recordings, that is all gone and I totally miss that part
Thank you. That is disheartening.

a real shame, he brought a joy to any thread he was on and to the hobby. rubbed off on everyone. we are diminished without him. but he has a wonderful young family, so i'm sure he is fine. myself, my kids were my focus when they were young, boats and games and just enjoying them. would quickly trade hifi for doing that again. or for grandkids even.

i suspect when his son graduates from High School he will maybe seriously consider jumping back in.

a real shame, he brought a joy to any thread he was on and to the hobby. rubbed off on everyone. we are diminished without him. but he has a wonderful young family, so i'm sure he is fine. myself, my kids were my focus when they were young, boats and games and just enjoying them. would quickly trade hifi for doing that again. or for grandkids even.

i suspect when his son graduates from High School he will maybe seriously consider jumping back in.

His system is in his office and he goes to office and is expanding business, so different from usual home systems

Reactions: andromedaaudio
His system is in his office and he goes to office and is expanding business, so different from usual home systems
but passion for any hobby needs a degree of personal priority that we CHOOSE to give it. if the passion is reduced the tendency to listen wains.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lee
I like all analog speed controllers. The Brinkmann is an all analog system, as well.

What in the AS-2000 keeps the speed so steady at the selected speed?

In part, the steady speed is the result of the huge mass and ultra low friction bearing. It takes half an hour to stop the platter from a free spin at 33.33 RPM. That is remarkable.

many other tt's like that. i don't think WBF is any more guilty of this price=value than any others that even discuss these type products.

It is, by quite a margin, unless you are on audio exotics

Last edited:
Reactions: adyc

What in the AS-2000 keeps the speed so steady at the selected speed?
I own the AS 2000 controller, speed is contolled by frequency and can be adjusted manually on the front panel. The controller also has provisions for automatic adjustment trough the speed measurement from the RoadRunner, but is not functioning in the AS 2000 controller. It can be activated by som swapping of tiny resistors, not recommended for old eyes. It was a miracle i did not destroy the circuit board during soldering :eek: David did not require the RoadRunner feedback loop for his design. I have installed a toggle switch that can activate/deactivate the automatic adjustment in my system.

It uses "a Variable Frequency Drive (VFD) that uses Direct Digital Synthesis (DDS) to generate the sinewave signal. The Eagle is a 2 pc supply with the controller nearly identical to the Falcon PSU and a separate high power amplifier unit that can be located remotely. The two are connected via a 6ft 3.5mm stereo cable. The unit uses an Atmel AT89C52 microprocessor to control the DDS circuit, the display and accept commands from the user. The clock source for the microprocessor is an 8.388608MHz crystal oscillator with a frequency stability of .01% (100 PPM) and also serves as the reference source for the DDS. The display uses 3 seven segment LEDs to indicate speed and the front panel has 3 buttons to switch between 33/45 RPM and to control the output frequency for each speed in 0.1 RPM steps. The front panel buttons also access a number of set up and programming modes."

Last edited:
Reactions: bonzo75 and tima
It is, by quite a margin, unless you are on audio exotics
most other high end forums are brand, or DIY, or dealer, or topology/transducer type focused. a different thing. participants are quite narrowly grouped. or very light traffic.

WBF is broad based, and runs the gamut of seriousness and approaches. price=performance will always be a part of the mentality to some degree. too much or too little depends on your viewpoint. hey, you get to do your NLF stuff.....so it's open minded. healthy. always ebbing, flowing.

perfectly imperfect.

Last edited:
In part, the steady speed is the result of the huge mass and ultra low friction bearing. It takes half an hour to stop the platter from a free spin at 33.33 RPM. That is remarkable.
The other part is the part I'm asking about. Something must aim for 33.33 and 45.

I own the AS 2000 controller, speed is contolled by frequency and can be adjusted manually on the front panel. The controller also has provisions for automatic adjustment trough the speed measurement from the RoadRunner, but is not functioning in the AS 2000 controller. It can be activated by som swapping of tiny resistors, not recommended for old eyes. It was a miracle i did not destroy the circuit board during soldering :eek: David did not require the RoadRunner feedback loop for his design. I have installed a toggle switch that can activate/deactivate the automatic adjustment in my system.

It uses "a Variable Frequency Drive (VFD) that uses Direct Digital Synthesis (DDS) to generate the sinewave signal. The Eagle is a 2 pc supply with the controller nearly identical to the Falcon PSU and a separate high power amplifier unit that can be located remotely. The two are connected via a 6ft 3.5mm stereo cable. The unit uses an Atmel AT89C52 microprocessor to control the DDS circuit, the display and accept commands from the user. The clock source for the microprocessor is an 8.388608MHz crystal oscillator with a frequency stability of .01% (100 PPM) and also serves as the reference source for the DDS. The display uses 3 seven segment LEDs to indicate speed and the front panel has 3 buttons to switch between 33/45 RPM and to control the output frequency for each speed in 0.1 RPM steps. The front panel buttons also access a number of set up and programming modes."

What was the sonic advantage to adding it, compared to others you tried

That answers my question very comprehensively! Thank you very much, Milan!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu