Amp Stand for Heavy Amp on Wood Floor?

Puma Cat

Feb 20, 2011
SF East Bay Area
The 4" high density EVP's necessary to support the (90+ lb.) weight of a Pathos amp between two boards are $200 ea. x four which is roughly 10X the cost of the Herbie's Big Fat Dots. For me that takes it out of the DIY price range. I would opt instead for the superior Wellfloat platform or Delta footers.
They're more expensive, to be sure, but they are more effective than the Herbie's products. The VibSensor data plotted in JMP data supports this. And, as we say in science, "the data is data".

Putting them under my REL subwoofer was absolute revelation as they made the entire room signficantly quieter.

Reactions: acousticsguru

dgale

Sep 22, 2020
I’d welcome any thoughts on a DIY stand for my Pathos InPol Heritage on oak floor.

Current thinking is two IKEA APTILIG bamboo boards with Herbie’s Giant Dots between them and Herbie’s Giant Gliders between the floor and bottom board for ease of movement and further isolation.

I don’t want to break the bank on amp footers at the moment and so am thinking to keep Pathos footers or use OREA Bronze underneath amp.

I realize there are much more effective and costly approaches but this is where I am at the moment.

. Also thinking one or two 1-1/8 granite slabs instead of the bamboo but I’ve read conflicting comments about granite.

TIA for any thoughts or suggestions.

View attachment 105791
Any opinions as two whether 1-1/4” IKEA bamboo boards or 1-1/8 granite plinths would serve as a better amp base? One or two. If two, Herbie’s Giant Dots between them. TIA

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Personally, I'd use the IKEA bamboo boards. Granite can ring.

It depends a lot on thickness and dimensions of the board. IMO unless we use an accelerometer connected to an audio analyzer we never know the real ringing performace of a board.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
That steel looks pretty classy, PeterA, not to mention the wood beneath.
How much does the steel weigh? Is that an Aleph 3 for scale?

Thank you ICU. The polished steel plate weighs about 120 lbs. Yes that is an Aleph 3. My main amps are Lamm ML2s.

1679187403428.jpeg

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I have chosen to use mass and control the resonances through tuning by ear.

View attachment 106232
Always love that look Peter. Proportions are really beautiful and balanced… not that I’m a design tragic or anything lol PS even nicer with the Lamms

Reactions: PeterA

dgale

Sep 22, 2020
Thanks for all the input on my DIY amp stand. Waiting for Herbie’s Giant Fat Gliders to place below my IKEA boards. And lo! I discovered 8 Orea Bordeaux in my storage. So they will go under the Pathos. Will be curious to hear effect, if any, on my system.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Always love that look Peter. Proportions are really beautiful and balanced… not that I’m a design tragic or anything lol PS even nicer with the Lamms

Thank you Graham. The stands were designed for the Lamms based on what I learn from earlier experiments. Here is a version on deflated Vibraplanes. 280 lbs of steel on birch ply.

1679192588993.jpeg

Reactions: the sound of Tao

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Thank you Graham. The stands were designed for the Lamms based on what I learn from earlier experiments. Here is a version on deflated Vibraplanes. 280 lbs of steel on birch ply.

View attachment 106244
The progression to the Lamms and the tubes with the structural cool of the steel and the organic warmth of mahogany below it is where I’d happily stay as well… looks beautifully settled.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I still have some 2 inch thick slabs of Queensland red box which I bought 20 years ago that had been stored in a timber yard up north of here for over 60 years before that.

I’ve used about half of it for a dining table in the last house but am a bit inspired more recently with your approach to use the remaining slabs for my gear and bring in a layer of polished stainless as an additional constrained layer above.

Attachments

• 138EB7B4-3972-4D36-A9C1-A6A21DC2BC13.jpeg
    138EB7B4-3972-4D36-A9C1-A6A21DC2BC13.jpeg
    190.9 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I still have some 2 inch thick slabs of Queensland red box which I bought 20 years ago that had been stored in a timber yard up north of here for over 60 years before that.

I’ve used about half of it for a dining table in the last house but am a bit inspired more recently with your approach to use the remaining slabs for my gear and bring in a layer of polished stainless as an additional constrained layer above.

Great looking table and view. Your plan for stands is good. What material you use and where you locate it between the steel and wood matters for the tuning.

Salectric

Jan 15, 2012

Beautiful table!
If you do decide to use some of your remaking stock for equipment stands, may I suggest that you start with just one or two and see how you like them before cutting up more of the wood. All wood sounds different and you may or may not like how this particular wood sounds in a support platform.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Beautiful table!
If you do decide to use some of your remaking stock for equipment stands, may I suggest that you start with just one or two and see how you like them before cutting up more of the wood. All wood sounds different and you may or may not like how this particular wood sounds in a support platform.
There is some trepidation for me because while that wood in the slabs is beautifully figured more importantly it has great sentimental value for me. I bought it out of an inheritance when my grandfather passed. He was a carpenter and builder who built houses in the modernist era and he was the inspiration for the house that I designed in the village on the lake that he used to visit for holidays when he was a child. I clad the house in recycled red mahogany shiplap and it is the kind of material and detail that we both really loved.

B4C8F284-1E31-49F2-9062-7D75C5A4F928.jpeg

Last edited:

Salectric

Jan 15, 2012
There is some trepidation for me because while that wood in the slabs is beautifully figured more importantly it has great sentimental value for me. I bought it out of an inheritance when my grandfather passed. He was a carpenter and builder who built houses in the modernist era and he was the inspiration for the house that I designed in the village on the lake that he used to visit for holidays when he was a child. I clad the house in recycled red mahogany shiplap and it is the kind of material and detail that we both really loved.

View attachment 106260
Stunning!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Has anyone compared directly in his own system a Symposium Acoustics platform to either a CMS amp stand or an HRS amp stand?
Yup

You know where I went :) SRA was the close 2nd. My problem with SRA is that it is more equipment specific. Nothing to do with its performance for the model it is spec'd for. They are excellent and that is coming from a competitor. That is an expensive proposition for a distributor or dealer like myself that demos many different amplifiers. They were literally in a dead heat then CMS went modular and incorporated the frame and contact point changes that made them more, shall we say, long term keepers for as long as the new amps fit.

Reactions: tima

Fishfood

VIP/Donor
Jul 11, 2020

View attachment 106260

Holy heck! What a beautifully designed home!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing