Another Apogee thread? You bet!

How do you guys rare the cello amp compared to the ML 33

I wouldn't buy either one today! Never had the Cello on Apogees so I don't know how well they'll drive them. Honestly if you're looking at used nothing I heard back then and even today will touch the Lamms.

david

I wouldn't buy either one today! Never had the Cello on Apogees so I don't know how well they'll drive them. Honestly if you're looking at used nothing I heard back then and even today will touch the Lamms.

david

I asked because I heard the Cello biamping the Divas.

Do you know why apogees respond extremely positively to analog, more so than most other speakers? The analog bass seems to compliment well the vertical density bass of the panels, they seem to give out more micro energy, and the soundstage behind the speakers goes up a lot, in a vertical 3d fashion. Not sure if you found that with your Divas

I asked because I heard the Cello biamping the Divas.

Do you know why apogees respond extremely positively to analog, more so than most other speakers? The analog bass seems to compliment well the vertical density bass of the panels, they seem to give out more micro energy, and the soundstage behind the speakers goes up a lot, in a vertical 3d fashion. Not sure if you found that with your Divas

I always found bass digital's achillies heel, compared to good analog it's flat and one dimensional. In case of the Divas the quality of bass is transformational maybe more than any other speakers I owned. Your description is apt but with 33's and Lamm's the stage exploded everywhere, behind, the sides and way into the room.

david

I always found bass digital's achillies heel, compared to good analog it's flat and one dimensional. In case of the Divas the quality of bass is transformational maybe more than any other speakers I owned. Your description is apt but with 33's and Lamm's the stage exploded everywhere, behind, the sides and way into the room.

david

Careful Frantz is on the prowl he wants to stop such "myths"

The only myth in audio, is that there are any absolutes
I've found digital that compares favourably to analog (SGM server, courtesy of Blue58)
Tubes can absolutely wk on Duettas (211s, courtesy of User211)
The room trumps all tweak considerations (Ked's edict, courtesy of my epiphany creating the loft here, certainly nailing my skepticism well and truly)

So, now tweaks trump the room? Just to let you know, Avantgarde (and Animas), respond the least to analog - digital and analog both sound more or less equally enjoyable. That is with trios too. So how make that judgement listening to Barry's Duos, which apart from the speaker has possibly the best streamer, and not an analog system he has tried to build up, I do not know.

david
Lol!

Careful Frantz is on the prowl he wants to stop such "myths"

Lol!

Ked, you didn't read me right
Room trumps the lot
And as such, my space could now allow Duettas to really sing
So, in order of significance:
room>>>isolated feed to audio room/dedicated lines/balanced pwr>>power cords> interconnects>grounding>Rollerblocks

Room trumps the lot
room>>>isolated feed to audio room/dedicated lines/balanced pwr>>power cords> interconnects>grounding>Rollerblocks

What? And I said room is not important? Lol

You're still not reading me LOL
It was a myth WITH ME back in London that room came before tweaks
You obv were more enlightened
Are we on the same wavelength now?

You're still not reading me LOL
It was a myth WITH ME back in London that room came before tweaks
You obv were more enlightened
Are we on the same wavelength now?

Oh ok.

Room trumps the lot

Good to see you've contracted panel fever Marc. Yes, so room is the decider and your large room would need large panels I'd have guessed. Whether the Duettas can energise your room or not without subs might be the question.

For your room size and your preferred amp I'd have thought horns but with your music choice I'd have gone ribbons.

In 211s smaller room 211s 211 amp worked but wonder if that translates to the same in your room.

If you love the Apogees option could be just end up with two amps (both your Nat when the music suits and have big drive SS when you need to step up a gear for bigger scale music). Even better have 2 amps and then sometime down the track next decade get some horns as well and have horns and ribbons, tubes and SS. If everything is a compromise than having a choice might be the better destination. Sounds like you can have fun either way. Happy apogeeing.

Only in a very poor sounding room and when I had them in front of floor to ceiling glass windows but I had the same problem with the X-1s in the same location just not quite as bad. (edit) Glass is Apogee's and probably all panel speaker's Krytonite!

david

Hi David,

I know they are different beasts, but I am curious as to how you compare the Divas and the X1s. Both great speakers. Nothing is perfect, but nevertheless, few have your ear, experience and sensibility in audio. So I appreciate any comparisons you might make (when both are optimally set up which no doubt you did).

Tao, I hit a home run w'out any audiophile treatments
The key has been moving from my prev apartment open plan, rig to one side so one spkr w sidewall reinforcement, one in free space
More free space behind spkrs (8' instead of 4')
Fewer harsh surfaces ie no concrete ceiling or vast areas of glazing behind spkrs, 2/3 flr area carpeted here
Absolutely symmetrical layout
All walls, eaves/clg and floors fully installed w Kingspan and Rockwool
So much so, that GIKs cnr bass traps, 242 panels at first- and second-reflection points and on front and rear walls have only been moderately beneficial, not the dramatic sticking plaster they were in London

Thanks...i saw that bit about the bass, and was curious for a bit more detail based on that description.

I am not ddk, but IMO additionally a substantial difference will be seamlessness through crossovers and the apogee seeming more like a single driver. The ribbon midrange. And I have heard the X1 only once, in Italy with an ML 32 pre and the 33 power, and that system was extremely dark. Rolled off, more so than latter day Wilsons including Alexandria, sophia, Sasha, Alexia, etc. Whether it was his speaker or system I do not know.

Last edited:
Hi David,

I know they are different beasts, but I am curious as to how you compare the Divas and the X1s. Both great speakers. Nothing is perfect, but nevertheless, few have your ear, experience and sensibility in audio. So I appreciate any comparisons you might make (when both are optimally set up which no doubt you did).

Hi Lloyd,

The X-1s are wonderful speakers very versatile and easy to drive with a lot of different electronics and the bass is always impressive but the way that Diva panel, a gigantic full range driver comes to life and moves air with enough power behind it is not like nothing else I've experienced.

david

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing