Any Esoteric fans here?

hongkongfoufou

Mar 3, 2018
You might be right but esoteric sound is esoteric sound still to me.
I have the K-03XS, not the XD. I have listened K-03 longtime ago ...I don't like it.
But I think you have right, because I prefer listen K-03XS with ML360S and Grimm CC1.

Reactions: Addicted to hifi

hongkongfoufou

Mar 3, 2018
I have forget to say I have connected a Hijiri Nagomi power cable his last changes everything. The sound seemes to be more human.

vrac

May 9, 2018
Addicted ti HiFi,
The Luxman sure looks like a wonderful player. Happy for you. The Esoteric K-03XD has only about 100 hours on it and sounding glorious. Regardless of the input. The build quality is amazing.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Hey there Nemal,
Great stuff indeed! In fact the Eso seperates sound more convincing as the most significant factor in terms of absolute improvement, especially that clock! I didn't get a chance to try out their new series though, it wasn't available on loan from the importer. However, I did try the previous series G01 clock, and got a pretty darn good idea where the improvements were.

I think IB is going for the G01x clock as we speak... now that's getting at a pretty serious level, looking forward to his first impressions.

Vrac just acquired his K03XD and is jumping for joy... I can imagine! Good on ya mate.

When you mentioned ARC, I was using one of their Ref CD7 players a while back. It didn't do too well in transit and something went wrong with the tube power supply unit or something. They tried various things over here but could never get its output stage going properly. At the end I gave up and changed over to Wadia with a Meitner Dac (both used and in very good condition).

Speaking of ARC, which Ref series amplifiers do you have? I forget what speakers you're using.

One of my other fellow audiophiles had the ARC Ref 250's driving his top line Maggie's (30.7's only the 2nd pair to reach Aus). However, he did have room issues, sold off the 30.7's and now uses a modified version of VMPS/ Genesis lookalikes. These are more or less open baffle design, with a tall array of mids & highs developed as circular ribbons housed in a panel frame. This is then bolted on top of a sub-woofer enclosure housing two 10" subs, one firing fwds & the other backwards, very similar to those dual-force subs used in ML's hybrid stats.

I asked him why the dual-force, says they keep up in better pace alongside the panels. I guess he's got his reasons. So now he uses the new M160 monoblocks by ARC. And oh! Does it sound fantastic! I guess that open baffle/ panel driver array design is more open and transparent.

As you say, it's a custom type of sound and is basically a personal preference. Enjoy those fine tunes!
Cheers, RJ

Last edited:
Reactions: infinitely baffled

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Sorry maties, looks like I made an error...

IB is going for the Grandioso G1 clock! Oh my golly, this is the mothership of master clocks. Must be a mighty fine combination, or at least it better be for the spend... wow!

That would be the perfect thing just for me to get thrown into the dog house! Even if I bought the good wifey a massive pink diamond, no matter how rare, she just won't allow me to justify a clock unit that was the same as those pretty sapphires that I bought her recently...

Oh well, I guess I'll leave it at that, and just be happy. Afterall, enjoying the music is the one greatest thing anyone can achieve, regardless of what type of system they have.

Cheers maties, enjoy those very fine tunes!
Woof! RJ

Last edited:

hongkongfoufou

Mar 3, 2018
I tried esoteric sacd player at home and wasn’t happy. I now own a luxman d10x and a mcintosh mcd550 and I am very happy.
Never listen a Luxman D10X but I am only sure I don't like the sound of Mc Intosh..Sorry.
But the most beautiful thing in the world is that you enjoy pleasure with your system!

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
Rest of my kit is Ref6, Ref 250se.
just learned my K-01x has likely sold, I have a nice 450 mile round trip next weekend to demo/sell. My Sasha DAW’s are currently being made so have nothing to demo with….
I was really wanting to get the grandioso cd player and either clock or power supply but just too expensive and no matter how I try and justify the cost, it’s neither feasible or practical.
Accuphase have also just released a 50th anniversary cd/ dac combo, but again prohibitively expensive.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Rest of my kit is Ref6, Ref 250se.
just learned my K-01x has likely sold, I have a nice 450 mile round trip next weekend to demo/sell. My Sasha DAW’s are currently being made so have nothing to demo with….
I was really wanting to get the grandioso cd player and either clock or power supply but just too expensive and no matter how I try and justify the cost, it’s neither feasible or practical.
Accuphase have also just released a 50th anniversary cd/ dac combo, but again prohibitively expensive.
Ah! Yes the ARC Ref250se monoblocks. Infact those are the ones he was using to drive his Maggie's. It would have been interesting to see how the new M160's would have handled the big 30.7's but those are gone now. Sounds mighty fine on his open baffle design speakers though.

Initially I was curious to find out how ARC is using 8 KT150 tubes in each monoblock to produce 250w in the SE version. Whereas, JF has managed to use only 4 of these power pentodes in each monoblock, to produce in excess of 300w! JF claims that his ART300's are pretty much pushed to their limits, they run hotter and deliver a much higher Class A bias before switching into Class AB. I've heard these beauties driving the same CLX's as I have, and oh my! What a superb combination it is. The ART300's didn't win amplifiers of year for nothing. Anyway, don't want to digress too much from this Eso topic and of course our good mate Vrac, and his new found love!

That's a great combination in SOTA right there Nemal! Eso, ARC and Wilson's. Enjoy those fine tunes! Now that deserves a mighty WOOF!
Best, RJ

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
I think the ref250’s kt150’s are running at less than half their rated power and I doubt I’ve ever been out of class a with them.
I had a sub on my previous system when I had my cls’s but when I got my (at the time) watt/puppy system 7’s it wasn’t needed.
I’m in an upstairs bedroom, which is relatively too small for my system but the dynamics and sound stage make it seem far larger. I’m not into playing too loud but it suits me fine.

Reactions: Big Dog RJ

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Never listen a Luxman D10X but I am only sure I don't like the sound of Mc Intosh..Sorry.
But the most beautiful thing in the world is that you enjoy pleasure with your system!
Enjoy your esoteric and sound system as well.cheers

RaChiK

Sep 13, 2020
I think we get it. How many different ways can you say it? And you condescension on an Esoteric thread is off-putting.
Well said. Somebody had to say that.
I had luxman d-10x and was good but felt little bright at times, no matter how many cables or IC changes I made. Luxman are all good in general (have had few luxman products in past), but some how D-10X did not fit my system. I liked them, but something was missing. Once I changed to Esoteric K-01XD, man, it was a treat. One of the best in this price range out there. XD series is a game changer for esoteric.
Anybody using master clock with XD series ? How do you characterize the improvement or change ?

Last edited:

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Well said. Somebody had to say that.
I had luxman d-10x and was good but felt little bright at times, no matter how many cables or IC changes I made. Luxman are all good in general (have had few luxman products in past), but some how D-10X did not fit my system. I liked them, but something was missing. Once I changed to Esoteric K-01XD, man, it was a treat. One of the best in this price range out there. XD series is a game changer for esoteric.
Anybody using master clock with XD series ? How do you characterize the improvement or change ?
I am happy for you.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
One thing 16 years of owning Esoteric has taught me is that synergy is absolutely everything (same for this entire hobby); the right choice of digital cables can make or break a system, power cords and interconnects properly matched can be component-level upgrades and master clocking is key to extracting the best these components are capable of giving.
No slam on Esoteric fans but that may be the issue for those that don't like the Esoteric sound. For me, that was way too complicated and expensive. I agree, which I've stated before, that synergy is extremely important. FWIW, didn't have that problem with my previous Cary 306 SACD Pro or my current Luxman D-06u. Ducking head!

Last edited:
Reactions: jjtiger

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing