Anyone still have CD/SACD Transport with Esoteric drive here?

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
I also just ordered a SOTEM USBULTRA to be connected to my REF10 clock : ) ,,,, but do you feel that the SOTM switch is equally important ?

With USB connected to a server or computer, the switch or router is not important. These are only important if you connect them directly to the DAC or renderer using Ethernet cables.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Good Day.....I have never owned the Mutec REF10 myself so not qualified to answer this but other owners report it to be a great 10 Mhz clock source and yes, if your choice were Mutec, this would be the best way to drive the Esoteric Transport and DAC as they both excel with a 10Mhz master clock input in my experience to an even higher level that using a 75-ohm word clock input (frequency multiple (of 44.1) reclocking up to my personal favorite with the new Esoteric equipment (for 75-ohm word reclocking, "MCLK" frequency which is 22.xxxx Mhz). Again, as well as my system has performed with OCXO and Rb-based clocks that put out 75-ohm word reclocking, the Esoteric gear performs best (IMHO and listening tests) with 10 Mhz 50-ohm true master clock input. Candidates for this would be the REF10 you mentioned, Cybershaft OP17 (or above) Limited2 or Ultimate from the new line of their products similar to what I am running or other high-quality, OCXO-based, low phase noise implementation.

BTW...by 'P2' I assume you mean the later generation Esoteric P-02 Transport and D-02 DAC (I have these) or the newer P-02X and D-02X, not the old Esoteric 'P2' Transport as I have no idea from those years about the 'P2' model.

Here are the Mutec test files comparing their different clocks. It's not a great test track, but I compared all of these and made notes. The Ref10 was the best sounding of the four IMO.

https://www.bonedo.de/fileadmin/Dow...10_D/Mutec_MC3Plus_und_Ref10_96kHzBounces.zip

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Empirical Audio, I recommend you to bring your creation to any highend audio shop with Esoteric transport drive. You don't need to own and test in your room. I used to bring my server and computer audio products I bought including yours to compare with ultra highend CD transport at shop.

I wish it were so easy. I live in the sticks and the nearest town 30 miles away has exactly one high-end shop, and they don't carry the best stuff. I was thinking about maybe selling some things through them, so I may try this in the future.

In the meantime, I have a few friends that may be able to bring over some transports at a meet this summer.

jackson_k

VIP/Donor
Jan 19, 2019
Los Angeles
With USB connected to a server or computer, the switch or router is not important. These are only important if you connect them directly to the DAC or renderer using Ethernet cables.

I am actually going to be connecting the ethernet directly to the Streamer from the switch so maybe that might make some difference ,,
and then as for USB goes its probably going to be for server -> mutec mc-3 and then from there I am doing a SPDIF out to the DAC, : )

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
I am actually going to be connecting the ethernet directly to the Streamer from the switch so maybe that might make some difference ,,
and then as for USB goes its probably going to be for server -> mutec mc-3 and then from there I am doing a SPDIF out to the DAC, : )

Then you can probably benefit from audiophile switch, audiophile Ethernet cables and isolator as well as the SOtM USBultra on the USB side of the server. If you do all of this, report back on what made a difference and how much

justubes

Aug 10, 2015
Then you can probably benefit from audiophile switch, audiophile Ethernet cables and isolator as well as the SOtM USBultra on the USB side of the server. If you do all of this, report back on what made a difference and how much

It will make an improvement, as to how much will also depend on how far you are willing to go with the ethernet setup.

I treat is as a sub system especially if you are doing streaming for say, Tidal or Spotify etc.
It will also benefit if you have a NAS or intend to setup a NAS in future having all your physical media stored eventually.

The improvements possibly gained are much like your main system, where every little aspect such as isolation, power supplies and cables all add up to give a final results.

The improvements can be huge and if enough attention is spent on this infrastructure, streaming quality can even possibly surpass your spinning of cd's in some areas.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
My streaming already surpasses the spinning CD, and this is streaming Amazon Prime 256K MP3 tracks. Not as good as playing local .wav tracks though.

hongkongfoufou

Mar 3, 2018
I use K-03Xs with Grimm CC1 and (or without) Mark Levinson 360S...

caesar

May 30, 2010
I really like the Esoteric transports also, but they are not all the same. Try the P0s. Better than pretty much anything out there. :) And I've heard it against the newer top Esoterics and top Luxman. YMMV!

moby2004

Jan 21, 2018
Did anyone listen to the new TOTL Esoteric gear : P1X/D1X combo ?
Can’t find much feedback yet.

Alex

Windows X

Feb 28, 2011
www.fidelizer-audio.com
It's only new and most highend audiophiles are just enjoying their new combo in private. I heard it has pretty smooth and linear dynamics with own design DAC chip now.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
Did anyone listen to the new TOTL Esoteric gear : P1X/D1X combo ?
Can’t find much feedback yet.

Alex

I did in Munich and was very impressed. Write me for details. The P1X/D1X has an amazing and very musical sound presentation, a bit more rounded and warm than the P1/D1 without sacrificing the killer imaging, sound-staging and top to bottom extension that Esoteric is known for.

In short, all the transparency, top to bottom speed, accuracy, musically realistic playback, rock solid imaging and detail that Esoteric is known for and more. A bit more warmth overall in the mids and highs especially like the K1 so a bit more analog but not overly warm (like the K1) and without giving up any of the resolution, imaging, speed, transient playback, etc...of the P1/D1. Extremely close to the existing P1/D1 but with a bit more analog playback quality to it consistent with the change in fundamental DAC design philosophy. I dare say Esoteric's best effort to date bar none for CD and SACD playback and their first where the RBCD was 100% equal to the SACD playback (which has always been IMHO the world's finest). Where the D1Xs took a step up over the 02, 02X and even the D1 generations is streaming playback. I was surprised by the more natural
and more disc-like playback of anything streamed through the N-03T connected with the D1X DACs.

All this from a P1X, D1X and N-03T which were close to new, not burnt in, using mid-level speakers and good quality power conditioning and cables; the Esoteric C1 pre-amp and M1 monos were in use (I know their sound well), the overall choice of showing speakers, cables and power left no doubt that even without burn in, the P1X, D1X spinning discs had not equal at the show were on a short list of 2 (IMHO) for best of show.

Wadax Reference DAC, monster beauty that it is, together with the Atlantis Transport, and the JMF Audio universal player and DAC were, IMHO, the other jaw-dropping/impressive D->A playback experiences at the show for CD and SACD playback...

Please note there were other strong contenders for streaming playback in Munich and that I've heard including the Wadax and Esoteric setups, but I am not responding in this thread for general streaming DAC performance.

Last edited:

KATYTY

Jul 11, 2019
Yes...I still have an Esoteric P-02 Transport and D-02, using external 10Mhz extreme low phase noise OCXO master clock to control the setup.

I've compared with top flight music servers also with streaming audio and found that this combo properly cabled and clocked spinning CD, XRCD, XRCD24, K2HD and SACD outperformed server-based audio in my system as well as streaming audio. To be clear, that was limited to a limited set of test subjects and a while back to there may be top contenders today for which I would have a different experience.

I do plan on keeping an Esoteric transport-based system with DAC and clock as the center of this system due to a large disc collection that would be untenable to rip (would take years) and a disk farm to audacity find my iphone origin store & secure properly. A move is planned this year from a stereo DAC (dual-mono internal chassis structure), the D-02 to a pair of D1s and ultimately replace the P-02 transport with a P1. My choice to stay with P1 and D1s versus jumping right into the latest gen just announced, the P1x / D1x is deliberate....
With transports, the only thing that matters is jitter. Don't let anyone convince you otherwise. This is the physics. No transport can match the jitter of a good outboard re-clocker, so if you add this to the transport, the transport is not important anymore. Does not matter what the transport is and what type of drive is inside. Similarly with a server that outputs S/PDIF coax. Jitter is still the main concern and an outboard re-clocker fixes that.

Last edited:

justubes

Aug 10, 2015
With transports, the only thing that matters is jitter. Don't let anyone convince you otherwise. This is the physics. No transport can match the jitter of a good outboard re-clocker, so if you add this to the transport, the transport is not important anymore. Does not matter what the transport is and what type of drive is inside. Similarly with a server that outputs S/PDIF coax. Jitter is still the main concern and an outboard re-clocker fixes that.

You are abosolutely right! I got improvements using the K-01x transport fed through a Mutec and 10M reclocker.

There clearly was an improvement, but it stil sounds way better than using a lesser transport through the same reclocking Big Time!

I cannot say the same for the P1 / P1x especially using the dual HDMI connections.

I am not sure of there is much benefit using the dual AES connections to the dac compared to single AES, if not playing SACD or other higher rez material.

Windows X

Feb 28, 2011
www.fidelizer-audio.com
You are abosolutely right! I got improvements using the K-01x transport fed through a Mutec and 10M reclocker.

There clearly was an improvement, but it stil sounds way better than using a lesser transport through the same reclocking Big Time!

I cannot say the same for the P1 / P1x especially using the dual HDMI connections.

I am not sure of there is much benefit using the dual AES connections to the dac compared to single AES, if not playing SACD or other higher rez material.

K-01x can accept 10M clock input. Have you tried sending clock from Ref 10 to Esoteric with a proper 10MHz BNC cable terminated with 50 ohm impedance cable?

Regards,
Keetakawee

justubes

Aug 10, 2015
K-01x can accept 10M clock input. Have you tried sending clock from Ref 10 to Esoteric with a proper 10MHz BNC cable terminated with 50 ohm impedance cable?

Regards,
Keetakawee

Yes, all my equipment is clocked of the Mutec 10M including the transport.
Interestingly, there was yet an improvement placing a Mutec mc3+usb also 10M clocked feed the dac using single AES or BNC.

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
I use the K-01X with their G-01 clock, the addition of which focused the sound noticeably which I considered to be a worthwhile investment.
Haven’t tried other clocks/transports as a combination, so can only pass on my findings with my specific kit

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing