Aqua LinQ

Anyone has experience with the new LinQ network player?

FEATURES
• Proprietary fully-floating hybrid 2-stage Network + FPGA module with proprietary code
• Uncompromising digital interface AQlink PRO (I2S protocol)
• 4 future-proof network protocols (modules). Available now: Roon Ready bridge (RAAT) and UPnP DLNA
• 2 separate low noise C-Core power transformers for network circuitry and digital decoding
• MODULAR DESIGN with upgradeable multi board platform
• High-quality parts
• Input:
n. 1 standard RJ-45 connector for the ETHERNET network
No network configuration is required (DHCP system).
• Outputs:
n. 1 Ethercon RJ-45 connector for the AQlink I2S signal
n. 2 XLR 110 ohm connectors for the dual-AES/EBU signal (PCM 24 bit 384kHz / DSD128 max)
n. 1 XLR 110 ohm connector for the AES/EBU signal (PCM 24 bit 192kHz / DSD64 max)
n. 1 BNC 75 ohm connector for the S/PDIF signal (PCM 24 bit 192kHz max)
n. 1 RCA connector for the S/PDIF (IEC-60958) signal (PCM 24 bit 192kHz max)
• OLED display with user off-selectable illumination
• RC5 IR remote controller (optional)
• Aluminium anti-resonant cabinet with Nextel
• Designed and handmade in Italy LinQ.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you know the price ?
Pricing in the United States for the HQ Player modules is as follows (as of Feb. 8/21):

HQ Player NAA module $1400
HQ Player Core + NAA modulesSpecial Bundle Price: Includes Sygnalyst license fee (value: $250)$2,590
HQ Player Core moduleIncludes Sygnalyst license fee (value: $250)$1,480

Curious if anyone had actually heard one of these yet. Seems to be VERY FEW in the US and none (that I could find) to audition.

I think they are just rolling it out as we speak so no reviews or user feedback that I know of as of yet.

Last edited:
Curious if anyone had actually heard one of these yet. Seems to be VERY FEW in the US and none (that I could find) to audition.
The first HQ Player Core modules will be landing in the US very soon. ToneAudio will be doing the first North American review of the Aqua LinQ with the HQ Player Core and NAA modules.

I had a little silver and cotton left over from about a decade ago

FB98DC50-8E1A-4901-8B44-71531CB57E27.jpeg

So I polished it up and made myself this i2s cable

0847E151-9058-435D-834A-7CB60F1BFA15.jpeg

Not a pleasant job to make but it does sound rather good and has edged out my own bnc spdif which was previously the leading contender. Tbh though, the differences between the different interfaces are smaller than I expected.

Just to square the circle, I made one final i2s cable using the exact same wire as my two spdif ones. Essentially the SQ differences between rca / bnc / i2s interfaces are minimal and the quality of the cable itself makes more difference than the format chosen. i2s has the edge, followed by bnc and then rca. Aes I have yet to try.

Reactions: Arcadia Audio
To recap, this is what I have tried on i2s

- Sablon ethernet
- ViaBlue silver plated made up as per Sablon
- Furutech ncf lan 8
- homebrew solid core 4n silver in cotton
- homebrew stranded Sablon copper

I haven’t tried either the Aqua cable or ethercon plugs, just my usual TG cat 8 ones. My take away is that conductor quality matters for i2s more than in ethernet networks where the frequencies are much higher.

No plans to start offering i2s cables myself but thought this might be helpful for others.

Just to square the circle, I made one final i2s cable using the exact same wire as my two spdif ones. Essentially the SQ differences between rca / bnc / i2s interfaces are minimal and the quality of the cable itself makes more difference than the format chosen. i2s has the edge, followed by bnc and then rca. Aes I have yet to try.
I found the same when comparing USB to I2S, the differences are minimal. I2S edged out USB by a small margin.

I found the same when comparing USB to I2S, the differences are minimal. I2S edged out USB by a small margin.
That would be different server though as LinQ doesn’t have a usb output. My Taiko Extreme into xHD via (my) usb gives a rather different outcome!

I now have a freshly made aes sounding better than my leading i2s cable build. Having given the latter my best shot over the past week, I’m not convinced it is the slam dunk interface. Based on my experimentation of the past week, I would rank my preferences as follows

1) AES
2) I2S
3) BNC
4) Rca

Fundamentally though, the quality of the cable makes a bigger difference than the format.

Reactions: sbo6
I now have a freshly made aes sounding better than my leading i2s cable build. Having given the latter my best shot over the past week, I’m not convinced it is the slam dunk interface. Based on my experimentation of the past week, I would rank my preferences as follows

1) AES
2) I2S
3) BNC
4) Rca

Fundamentally though, the quality of the cable makes a bigger difference than the format.
With the Aqua gear in particular I would agree. And the differences are slight overall IMO.

We would like to make an important announcement about the new LinQ Core module, HQPlayer-based.

This module has been designed as an Audio Engine for Roon with zero-setup, ready to use immediately.

The Core exploits the new i.MX8 micro (ARM 64bit), with its incredible performance, low?latency, revolutionary power efficiency and a customized lightweight kernel (UNIX-based).

The HQPlayer-based LinQ Core remains true to the philosophy of aqua brand, it is not aimed at digital signal processing.

The goal is extreme sound quality, while at the same time avoiding complex configurations required by HQPlayer Embedded.

To our customers, we want to be clear: we recommend the HQP Core module to the enthusiast who is looking for musical quality and zero-configuration. For them, this is a perfect solution and we are certain they will be happy. While other solutions are more suitable for those who want to experiment with digital filters and signal processing in general. For example, the NAA (Network Audio Adapter) module inside the LinQ, together with a high-performance computer or server running HQPlayer Desktop or Embedded.

Reactions: bmarq and CKKeung
After receiving the HQPlayer Core module about a week ago and after about 150 hours of burn – in below are my impressions:

• Comparing stand – alone ROON to both ROON + LinQ HQP modules there is simply no contest. ROON imparts what I would call a smearing effect on instruments and vocals coupled with an added (and unnatural) mid – bass fullness slightly reducing micro details. The HQplayer modules leveraging ROON's front-end music and streaming management gives you the best of both worlds – excellent front - end software for music management with SOTA music delivery via the Aqua LinQ’s HQplayer modules.
  • With ROON’s front - end music management and both LinQ HQP modules versus the ROON’s front - end music management and the LinQ HQplayer NAA module + my custom music server with HQplayer installed (omitting the LinQ Core module) yielded very similar results. Both provide ultra – clarity, tight accurate bass with a wall-to-wall sound stage (with the right song). If I had to pick I’d chose my music server, however I’m sure not all systems will likely be able to discern such a minor difference. Keep in mind – my DIY music server setup includes Win Server 2019 heavily optimized exclusively for HQPlayer and includes 4 high quality LPSUs. It is probably worth noting that I managed a performance analysis team at a major chipset designer for 5 years, so please believe me when I say that this music server is quite well optimized. Net is – My DIY heavily optimized setup has $4k+ invested and a lot of sweat equity, at < ½ the cost of the DIY server the LinQ Core module coupled with the NAA module is a no brainer.

Finally, I would be remiss if I did not mention the fact that the LinQ modules are not for the tweaker who wants to up sample or apply DEQ, it’s a set it and forget it turnkey solution. If you are OK with that and want excellent sound with ROON’s best of the best music management capabilities, it’s a great solution at a very affordable price. Aqua - keep the upgrades coming!

Reactions: bmarq and CKKeung
If using the HQP Core module with Roon, is the NAA module also required or is that only required if using a standalone HQP server?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing