Atma-Sphere Class D Mono blocks

jeffreybehr

Dec 16, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona USA
www.flickr.com

I want it to image nicely, with depth easily portrayed. The speed and detail needs to be precise so the smaller things are easily heard. The tonal balance should be such that overall, the listening experience is to the music rather than the stereo. If its not involving its going to be a waste of money.

Mine certainly are involving and very easy and rewarding to listen with.

paolo

Nov 7, 2016
Puget Sound
@atma-sphere

Greetings Ralph,

What are the chances we'll be seeing an Atma-Sphere Class D integrated someday (soon) ? :)

jadedavid

Dec 13, 2022
Or a Stereo version?

F208Frank

Mar 27, 2020
New York
The stereo version will also be the integrated version.

Hoping to have that sometime next year.
Will the stereo version have the pre amp also like a full on integrated?

I prefer the current power amp versions myself for my case but just curious. Mine arrives friday. I'm ready to class D myself out and break down walls with sonic waves of bliss.

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
Will the stereo version have the pre amp also like a full on integrated?

I prefer the current power amp versions myself for my case but just curious. Mine arrives friday. I'm ready to class D myself out and break down walls with sonic waves of bliss.
We expect how the integrated will work will be that its a variant of our existing circuit, with a bit more gain upfront. So the input will consist of switching and a volume/balance control system.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
We expect how the integrated will work will be that its a variant of our existing circuit, with a bit more gain upfront. So the input will consist of switching and a volume/balance control system.

While you are at it throw a DAc in there with Bluetooth. ;)

Reactions: analogsa

jadedavid

Dec 13, 2022
Ralph,
Will the new Integrated have a pre-in when used as a power amp.
Will it also have a "sub out" when used as an integrated?

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Do you find it odd that people who use these class D amps, seem to have really really good gear everywhere else in the chain? I am just little shocked at how price competitive the class D amps are and how people throw them in really expensive chains. I mean, there are amps much much more expensive than these but people still consider these, that says a lot about them.
I brought my DAC to a friends house. He was completely floored at how good is sounded compared to his DAC. Yet, Mojo Audio after lowing its prices found its sales dropped by 60%. I honestly believe if they upped the price from $12K to $27K to $32K, they would move off the shelf. And owners would tell how they replaced their MSB/DCS etc with it.

I have wondered why Ralph has not put his amp in a fancy case and upped the power to 300 Watts, then priced the unit at $35K. Then drop a new one on the market with 200W for $17 and call it trickle down. Then keep the entry level as is. I feel like Atmasphere was so excited at how good the technology was for such a small cost of production, they may have lost a little site into how the human psyche works. They may also just be honest and find it unprofessional to overcharge people just because they know they can pray on their vanity. They may also be buried in orders and have no need to gut the consumer with inflated pricing.

It is also possible, class D wipes the floor on other technology in its price category, but when you push class A - A/B to its limits like Dartzeel/Gryphon, you end up with a product that wipes the floor on class D - at this time.

I am 100% speculating on performance/technology.
Rex

Reactions: F208Frank

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
I brought my DAC to a friends house. He was completely floored at how good is sounded compared to his DAC. Yet, Mojo Audio after lowing its prices found its sales dropped by 60%. I honestly believe if they upped the price from $12K to $27K to $32K, they would move off the shelf. And owners would tell how they replaced their MSB/DCS etc with it.

I have wondered why Ralph has not put his amp in a fancy case and upped the power to 300 Watts, then priced the unit at $35K. Then drop a new one on the market with 200W for $17 and call it trickle down. Then keep the entry level as is. I feel like Atmasphere was so excited at how good the technology was for such a small cost of production, they may have lost a little site into how the human psyche works. They may also just be honest and find it unprofessional to overcharge people just because they know they can pray on their vanity. They may also be buried in orders and have no need to gut the consumer with inflated pricing.

It is also possible, class D wipes the floor on other technology in its price category, but when you push class A - A/B to its limits like Dartzeel/Gryphon, you end up with a product that wipes the floor on class D - at this time.

I am 100% speculating on performance/technology.
Rex
You're describing the Veblen Effect. When I first read about this 20 years ago, the example used was college tuition. Colleges found that when they reduced tuition price, enrollment fell off with it. So they raised prices instead, increasing enrollment...

High end audio is not driven by price. Its driven by intention. For this reason inexpensive gear can hold up quite well against gear that might cost an order or two magnitude more. For example our smallest OTL can take any SET to the cleaners, so long as both amps are happy on the speaker used for comparison.

We've always based our pricing on a formula rather than what the market will bear. This is simply personal- I hate opening up something I paid a lot for and not finding where the money was spent. So we've never built anything that had a price tag that was not justified. When you sell something based on 'sound' alone, its a pretty tenuous foundation for that price. Competitors (like us, for example) might come along and make something that 'sounds' better for half the price, knocking the legs out from under that product.

So I've just gone with my gut on this one. We've had plenty of encouragement to raise prices, but I want this to be fun and be able to sleep at night.

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
Do you find it odd that people who use these class D amps, seem to have really really good gear everywhere else in the chain? I am just little shocked at how price competitive the class D amps are and how people throw them in really expensive chains. I mean, there are amps much much more expensive than these but people still consider these, that says a lot about them.
On the contrary. Those with "really really good gear everywhere else in the chain" want an equally good amplifier. We (at least I) home demo a dozen amps of various ss technologies and select the one that sounds best. We don't "throw them in really expensive chains", we carefully evaluate their sound quality and will only choose a Class D if it out-performs the A and AB ones we audition, even though the Class D may be half the price.

My electronics cost about 1/7 the price of my speakers but I am not thinking the speakers are poorly served. If I spent as much on electronics as speakers, I'd perhaps get a marginal improvement in sound - but I couldn't afford a car too!

F208Frank

Mar 27, 2020
New York
Ralph all I got to say is that mine are on the way and I still hope for you to not raise prices. Not sure why I feel this way despite having already bought one.

Anyways, appreciate you being active on the forums. I am sure your work is appreciated by many. Very excited to try your amp this coming Fri!

Reactions: paolo

F208Frank

Mar 27, 2020
New York
Damn lil frusrated. Amps at home un touched and unopened except sit there.

I am on work trip and left on day of amp arrival for short few days.

You guys think it's normal to be fiending like this. Light fiend. Nothing too serious.

Would you say most people in hobby fiend like this or is it ab normal.

To the owner of Ralph... I say to you....

Atmaspheres.
They got here.
ma flew here.
With pa here.
Pa gon say "why sound proof there"
"Wasting money there"
Atmasphere....
They all here.

Last edited:
Reactions: ICUToo

ICUToo

Sep 20, 2021
I feel you pain, F208Frank.
We spend a LOT of time deciding what to buy, then the wait for The Chosen Product to arrive is excruciating.
To have It arrive , and YOU not be home......well......just awful :)
Hope you love It when your hear It :)

Reactions: F208Frank

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Competitors (like us, for example) might come along and make something that 'sounds' better for half the price, knocking the legs out from under that product.

this assumes an efficient market where there are lots of consumers who are well aware of the marketplace and the information is widely available.

paolo

Nov 7, 2016
Puget Sound
Has anyone compared the Atmasphere D's to an Aavik "entry-level" amp? I'm asking because the only Class D amp I've heard recently was an Aavik I-180 which was very quiet and detailed but did not seem like music to me.

I'm very interested in Ralph's amps.

Last edited:

D.Duttilleux

Apr 8, 2018
Has anyone compared the Atmasphere D's to an Aavik "entry-level" amp? I'm asking because the only Class D amp I've heard recently was an Aavik I-180 which was very quiet and detailed but did not seem like music to me.

I'm very interested in Ralph's amps.
Recently listened briefly to the I-..80 series with Borresen speakers at a local show.

1698067159809.png

In short: typical MOR high-end ~ synthetic/clinical.
Although strictly speaking there was little to criticize (in the technical sense), the system - like most systems at the show, lacked the characteristics of what another forum member refers to as 'natural sound'.

The philosophy of most manufacturers seems to be mainly determined by 'technological progress' (materials and parts), scientific insights and tools (software).
Guided by these matters, other fundamental aspects have slowly faded into the background over the decades. As a result of which, among other things, the phenomenon of 'losses' in a broad sense has emerged.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing