Audio Science: Does it explain everything about how something sounds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ask Ethan Winer about getting your room right...trap and kill most frequencies, reflections, ambience, ect and a Pioneer receiver/speaker system will sound as good as a name your brand reference preamp, amp, speakers, ect. What a phool that man is...

Ask Ethan Winer about getting your room right...trap and kill most frequencies, reflections, ambience, ect and a Pioneer receiver/speaker system will sound as good as a name your brand reference preamp, amp, speakers, ect. What a phool that man is...

A. I doubt if Ethan ever said that. B. The results you describe might occur if the room is not acoustically measured and treated properly, but not if it is treated and/or EQed correctly. One of the advantages of DSP EQ is its "tunability" to personal preference.

Of course this is a caricature. But the interesting thing is that, once you kill unwanted reflections, the ambience retrieval of your system will actually increase -- in many room situations dramatically so. The reason is that you can hear the recorded hall sound only once excessive room reflections have stopped overriding that spatial information. You need to get your room out of the way in order to hear the room/hall in the recording you are listening to. And then you can get really impressive soundstaging.

And I forgot to mention bass -- an acoustically good room can make your bass so much better.

Why do I shout it out, well, tons of audiophiles prefer distorting systems sound to those that better replicate the signal. LP is one, it does not in any way compete to tape, but folks actually prefer what their LP system does to the sound. It does produce a different soundstage. It is different than the original tape because of what it adds and subtracts as well in the mastering process, and these things help plain old stereo sound better. And SET amps, whoa, those babies have very bad phase response, and FR issues with speaker dynamics, and boy, those damn things sound good to many...they sound interesting, more alive.

Personally I think OTLs sound even more alive than SETs...:) anyway, I know its not an easy thing to do but you should really spend some time around an LP mastering lathe before making that comment about tape. Tape simply cannot do what the LP can in terms of lower distortion, wider bandwidth and wider dynamic range. The LP has the widest bandwidth of any media so far invented. However tape is a lot easier to record on and you can erase and go back if it didn't go right. So tape is more flexible (in more ways than one :)). The bolded text in particular is simply false. Seriously. If the LP winds up sounding different from the master tape its not the fault of the medium, its because someone was lazy or who knows what (there may have been no interest in making it sound like the master tape for starters), but its not because of the mastering process itself. The LP can be cut with considerably less distortion than tape but to really hear what that is all about you have to hear a direct-to-disk. That's when the gloves come off...

Of course this is a caricature. But the interesting thing is that, once you kill unwanted reflections, the ambience retrieval of your system will actually increase -- in many room situations dramatically so. The reason is that you can hear the recorded hall sound only once excessive room reflections have stopped overriding that spatial information. You need to get your room out of the way in order to hear the room/hall in the recording you are listening to. And then you can get really impressive soundstaging.

And I forgot to mention bass -- an acoustically good room can make your bass so much better.

+ 1

The ideal is, of course, to get as much of our total system, room included, out of the way of the music. That the room is a major part of the total playback system, often more important than electronics or even speakers of good quality, is still a "blind spot" for many audiophiles. They still think they are going to overcome this via better speakers or other components and avoid dealing directly with the room issues themselves, which will pervade any choice of components.

I would love to come up and see and hear your stuff sometime. Now, while I know you love your vinyl system, tell me this, does the LP version give a better soundstage than the tape? I have been told by pros that it does. This is an addition and favorable, IMO. This is the big magic of vinyl, not the other increased distortions, IMO. My tests with tape in my younger years did not allow me to properly explore this area.

I was also told that digital sounded closer to tape than LP did. Again, this is years ago, but I tend to agree in general terms based off of the limited tests I could cook up.

To really test if LP has a better soundstage you would need direct-to-disk and tape of the same performance. That would be a rare bird indeed. I would expect that the LP is superior as there is less phase shift/wider bandwidth/lower distortion, all things that help with the soundstage. IME if mastering an LP from a tape the soundstage is identical.

Last edited:
To really test if LP has a better soundstage you would need direct-to-disk and tape of the same performance. That would be a rare bird indeed. I would expect that the LP is superior as there is less phase shift/wider bandwidth/lower distortion, all things that help with the soundstage. IME if mastering an LP from a tape the soundstage is identical.

I know that 'For Duke', an M&K Direct-To-Disc recording, also had a tape back-up according to Steve McCormick who was present at the recording. Steve, when he visited my room, related that the tapes were very good too. better than the DTD? I cannot recall how he described that.

my personal experience with DTD pressings verses tape is that DTD pressing, done right, had a more delicate degree of detail and more refined top end, the tapes seemed to be meatier. soundstage I would give to the DTD in terms of space, the tape in terms of solidity of image.

The bottom line to me is this: people come to these forums to share experiences and to perhaps learn a few things about this wonderful hobby. There is plenty of room for discussions about both objective measurements and data and how they effect audio system performance and also subjective listening impressions and how our ears tell us things that audio science can not yet explain. People do not want to be confronted and badgered by fellow members who condescend to them. Life is too short. Participating on forums should be fun. When it no longer is, people will find other things to do with their time.

------------------------------------------------

I wrote this in another thread. I have highlighted a particular sentence and included its context. Amir commented thus about my phrase "...audio science can not yet explain.": "As to confrontation, unfortunately that is what we have even in your statement when you say "audio science can't yet explain." Audio science very much explains much of what you think it doesn't. You don't like that answer but you have to understand that such comments are inflammatory to the other camp and hugely so. You are telling them that they have to throw out a mountain of research, published and accepted audio science. As I said, on a number of other forums, any of the active threads on our forum would have been considered "anti-science" and riots in streets would follow. confrontational."

Does this highlighted sentence, in my original quote above, seem confrontational, controversial and "(hugely) inflammatory to the other camp"? Are the objectivists, or anyone for that matter, offended by this phrase? I'm curious and want to learn if and why this might be.

Perhaps I should have written, "I do not think measurements can explain everything we hear from an audio system. For instance, I have not seen measurements that will explain how a speaker system will perform in the areas of micro dynamics, resolution, sense of presence, or the listener's level of emotional involvement, in a given system and room." For these areas of performance, I have relied on my ears.

Does audio science really explain everything about how something sounds?

To answer your question, I haven't a clue what you mean by "audio science" as that is such a broad and vague term. I also don't have a clue what you mean by "objective measurements" as to the best of my knowledge there are few if any real measuring standards pertaining to much of anything in high-end audio. It seems anybody with a test bench (or kitchen table), Google, and a measuring instrument (regardless of quality) qualifies as able to produce "scientific" measurements. That’s hardly science or objective.

I think it worth mentioning that there certainly is benefit of designers like John Curl or Nelson Pass measuring various transistors or op-amps for certain tolerances, distortions, etc. After all, they are in the business of designing products and better or worse they are using their own standards to derive at the best overall design to suit their purposes. Near as I can tell most everybody participating in these forums has no such need.

I inquired with John Atkinson some months ago asking him a handful of questions about his measurement standards and his sensitive measuring instruments. Turns out one of his two measuring instruments has been out of production for some time and 1 of his 2 instruments was long overdue to be recalibrated. He chose not to answer some of my other questions but as I recall for years he used to place the products to be tested on his kitchen table unless they were too big, then he'd place them on his kitchen floor.

That's hardly a stable or controlled environment and that hardly qualifies as audio science in my book. Yet how many people cling to Atkinson’s measurements? Is that better than no measurements? Doubtful. Is it beneficial if it helps some sleep at night? In the end I’d say no, because if the benefits of any such measurements are doubtful in the first place, then resting one’s hopes on such potentially compromised measurements can offer little more than a false hope. At the very least such compromised measurements can cause some to focus more on highly questionable measurements and less on training and trusting one's hearing. Which is what this audio hobby is supposed to be all about in the first place.

Moreover, whether some believe it or not, components, speakers, and cables often times need to “warm up” for a time before sounding at their full potential. A normal “warm up” time might be anywhere from 15 minutes to several hours. When I received a pair of loaner speakers for my exhibit at an audio show in January, those already burned-in speakers took nearly 24 hours to warm up from the cold. An extreme example but the speaker journey was only from San Diego to Las Vegas, but until the next day they sounded like crap.

This “warm up” phenomena is rarely taken into consideration for any type of measurements. Moreover, these same objects can take hours, weeks, or even months when it comes to physically moving them around as they must mechanically settle in all over again before sounding at their full potential.

For example. I once owned some very sensitive IC’s that literally took maybe 24 hours to resettle if they were moved at all.

Another example. I had acquired some of the most musical sounding pair of IC’s I’ve encountered that I was beta testing for a mfg’er. A friend came to visit and first I demonstrated with sets of Audio Tekne IC’s we were both familiar with. Then I swapped in the fully burned in beta IC’s I had been ranting about. They sounded so bad my friend with a well-trained ear asked if the mfg’er knew what he was doing. We let the music play while we went out to dinner for 2 hours, came back to listen again and he admitted the IC's were a fabulous performer and upon his return home he purchased several pair.

Rarely, if ever, do I see anybody take these “phenomena” into consideration when performing their measurements. But it is what it is and that seems to be deemed an acceptable standards in high-end audio.

Some call it science but knowing and experiencing the often times HUGE performance differences between an unsettled vs fully settled in product I ask, without a truly controlled and stabilized environment and product and industry standards, where’s the science?

Of course, that’s just scratching the surface with our sensitive playback instruments. With regard to sensitive measuring instruments, well, if so many are still unwilling to properly address noisy AC and mechanical distortions at our sensitive playback instruments, why should we believe the findings of sensitive measuring instrument? Especially when such measuring instruments may be even more sensitive than our components.

So when enthusiasts and professionals alike choose to go down the “audio science” rabbit holes in this and other forums to prove some point, I can’t help but wonder if, well, actually I don’t wonder at all.

Because frankly, in addition to and because of the phenomena above, we have volumes of inaudible music remaining beneath a much raised noise floor resulting from unaddressed distortions induced on our sensitive components and probably also on sensitive measuring instruments. So much so, that any findings from any of these efforts are probably not much different than comparing hockey players skating on one skate. IOW, I see this "audio science" as a whole lot of to do about very little.

But that’s me.

Last edited:
In my other hobby/passion there is a phenomenon that operates over an even longer timespan. Acoustic guitars are known to change over time, but it takes years, not hours, days or weeks. 50-year-old guitars sound different than new ones, and almost everyone believes that difference is an improvement. The phenomenon is attributed to everything from the glue hardening over time, allowing the pieces to vibrate better as a whole, to "playing in" in which the instrument is believed to change as it is used, as it vibrates as a single object instead of as separate pieces. Some simply describe the change as the guitar "forgetting that it's a tree," but I think most of them are being poetic/humorous when they do. There is one explanation, however, that is actually well-known, verified, and used to advantage outside of musical instruments. Looked at under a microscope, the the cellular structure of the wood in a 50-year-old guitar is different than that of a new one. It contains less moisture overall, and will take on less moisture in a damp environment, lose less in a dry one. This makes the wood more stable (less shrinking and swelling), and could also account for the change in sound. The effect can even be created without waiting for aging, by heating wood up to high temperatures in a vacuum, where the lack of oxygen will keep it from burning. This has been done for years, to wood that needs to remain stable when exposed to high moisture levels.

If the phenomena of cables and components burning in when new and settling in when moved, etc. is real, the mechanisms that cause it are probably as observable, explicable and verifiable as the "old guitar sound." But even though the accuracy of critical electronic components, in science, medicine, manufacturing, etc., is much more important than our home audio systems, scientists don't appear to have observed, explained or verified it. I can only guess that they must not believe these phenomena exist, or they'd be "burning in" MRI machines, no?

Audiophiles, on the other hand, seem content to believe that their cables and components simply repurpose themselves, forget that they are wire and metal and glass, and get better at playing music over time.

Tim

MRI and CT machines are "burned-in" before clinical use, and it's well known that even after that the first few days of use don't give quite the image quality that is later obtained. It's probably not the wiring, more likely the X-ray tubes and/or superconductors, but who knows.

I inquired with John Atkinson some months ago asking him a handful of questions about his measurement standards and his sensitive measuring instruments. Turns out one of his two measuring instruments has been out of production for some time and 1 of his 2 instruments was long overdue to be recalibrated. He chose not to answer some of my other questions but as I recall for years he used to place the products to be tested on his kitchen table unless they were too big, then he'd place them on his kitchen floor.

That's hardly a stable or controlled environment and that hardly qualifies as audio science in my book. Yet how many people cling to Atkinson’s measurements? Is that better than no measurements? Doubtful. Is it beneficial if it helps some sleep at night? In the end I’d say no, because if the benefits of any such measurements are doubtful in the first place, then resting one’s hopes on such potentially compromised measurements can offer little more than a false hope. At the very least such compromised measurements can cause some to focus more on highly questionable measurements and less on training and trusting one's hearing. Which is what this audio hobby is supposed to be all about in the first place.
Do you use the speedometer in your car to avoid getting speeding tickets by staying below the speed limit? When was the last time you calibrated it?

And when did you last calibrate your ears?

These devices (MRI X-Ray) use mechanical chambers and tube filaments glowing to operate, and so by that means, and temperature of the room, etc, physical things affect them, but there are circuits to compensate within limits. Yes, there is a burn in process in many things, however, audibility, ie in regards a previous post, it sounded like sheet but we then went and had dinner came back within two hours and now it sounds glorious...well, that's not a wire doing that.
However (as usual) this response is irrelevant to the question posed by Tim about burn-in in MRI's and adequately answered by my post. You can't relate either the question or my response to audibility, at least not in a logical sense. If you've already decided lots of things are inaudible, leave it at that, don't try to explain it to those with more knowledge and experience.

To answer your question, I haven't a clue what you mean by "audio science" as that is such a broad and vague term. I also don't have a clue what you mean by "objective measurements" as to the best of my knowledge there are few if any real measuring standards pertaining to much of anything in high-end audio. It seems anybody with a test bench (or kitchen table), Google, and a measuring instrument (regardless of quality) qualifies as able to produce "scientific" measurements. That’s hardly science or objective.

IOW, I see this "audio science" as a whole lot of to do about very little.

But that’s me.

stehno, Perhaps you could ask Amir or Tim to define the term, "audio science". My understanding of it is clearly vague.

Regarding there being few objective measurements in high end audio, I can tell you this from my limited experience: My analog set up relies on what I have always considered to be objective measurements. The turntable speed is either 33.333 or 45.00 measured in rotations per minute. The tonearm has a precise pivot to spindle distance, measured in mm. The VFT is precise and measured in grams. The tonearm's offset angle has a precise specification. My alignment protractor is made based on very specific measurements. If these measurements were not accurate and repeatable, in an objective sense, I would not hear the quality of sound that I hear from my system, in a subjective sense. This is also the case for my speakers' positions which are measured to be within +/- 1/16" in tilt, distance and toe-in relative to specific reference points at my listening position.

I suppose one could argue about how accurate the Sutherland TimeLine, KAB strobe, MINT protractor, SME engineering, my digital VTF gauge, my Ortofon bubble level and my Bosch laser are, but I find them accurate enough for my purposes.

I appreciate reading your perspective on this issue.

In my other hobby/passion there is a phenomenon that operates over an even longer timespan. Acoustic guitars are known to change over time, but it takes years, not hours, days or weeks. 50-year-old guitars sound different than new ones, and almost everyone believes that difference is an improvement. The phenomenon is attributed to everything from the glue hardening over time, allowing the pieces to vibrate better as a whole, to "playing in" in which the instrument is believed to change as it is used, as it vibrates as a single object instead of as separate pieces. Some simply describe the change as the guitar "forgetting that it's a tree," but I think most of them are being poetic/humorous when they do. There is one explanation, however, that is actually well-known, verified, and used to advantage outside of musical instruments. Looked at under a microscope, the the cellular structure of the wood in a 50-year-old guitar is different than that of a new one. It contains less moisture overall, and will take on less moisture in a damp environment, lose less in a dry one. This makes the wood more stable (less shrinking and swelling), and could also account for the change in sound. The effect can even be created without waiting for aging, by heating wood up to high temperatures in a vacuum, where the lack of oxygen will keep it from burning. This has been done for years, to wood that needs to remain stable when exposed to high moisture levels.

If the phenomena of cables and components burning in when new and settling in when moved, etc. is real, the mechanisms that cause it are probably as observable, explicable and verifiable as the "old guitar sound." But even though the accuracy of critical electronic components, in science, medicine, manufacturing, etc., is much more important than our home audio systems, scientists don't appear to have observed, explained or verified it. I can only guess that they must not believe these phenomena exist, or they'd be "burning in" MRI machines, no?

Audiophiles, on the other hand, seem content to believe that their cables and components simply repurpose themselves, forget that they are wire and metal and glass, and get better at playing music over time.

Tim

Tim, good points on the guitar. Yes, the rumors circulate that numerous music instruments improve over time. And in the case of the guitar, assuming superior connections and adhesives, much of the change in sound could indeed come from normally disparate objects becoming more congruent over time, thus allowing the guitar to more evenly distribute the mechanical energy throughout. And even the continuously changing properties of the materials, including those sections under continuous stress over time have the potential of changing (improving) the sonic signature of the guitar. In fact, I would attest that audio components, if given the opportunity, can experience much that same phenomena to even far greater degrees.

I'll bet your turntable speed is not exactly 33.333 rpm, since I don't think any 'table measured (excepting perhaps some $100k + tables) has that degree of accuracy or consistency.

MRI and CT machines are "burned-in" before clinical use, and it's well known that even after that the first few days of use don't give quite the image quality that is later obtained. It's probably not the wiring, more likely the X-ray tubes and/or superconductors, but who knows.

I suspect machines such as MRI's go through significant burn-in and settling in phases. I'm confident that every last electrical component goes through a burn-in phase. I've done a number of audible-only observations of swapping electrical parts so small e.g. fuses, wall plugs, IEC connectors, etc. that the easily apparent changes (improvements) would seem to substantiate that assertion.

But at the same time, MRI machines are massive, heavy, etc. and I think are bolted to the flooring system. And even though many installations may attempt to "isolate" the mechanical energy from the floor with rubber-like compounds, the bolts / fasteners themselves can make for excellent conduits to allow unwanted mechanical energy to drain from the MRI machines with improvements over time.

Do you use the speedometer in your car to avoid getting speeding tickets by staying below the speed limit? When was the last time you calibrated it?

And when did you last calibrate your ears?

Good point, Amir. But what's really odd is that from the speedometer's perspective, traveling at 75mph in a Chevy Impala looks darn near identical to traveling at 75mph in a Bugatti Veyron leading me to believe the 2 vehicles may be identical. But from the seat of my pants, they sure don't seem identical.

I'll bet your turntable speed is not exactly 33.333 rpm, since I don't think any 'table measured (excepting perhaps some $100k + tables) has that degree of accuracy or consistency.

Perhaps not rbbert, but it does rotate at some measured speed. I made some measurements once, and a fellow on Audiogon did the calculations of the drift distance over time of the laser dot on a wall a certain distance behind my turntable. If I remember correctly, he wrote me that it was 0.03% off of 33.33. I was making the point to stehno that there are objective measurements in audio and provided turntable speed as just one example of what I thought was an "objective" measurement.

The change in leakage current over time in certain types of capacitors is a pretty well known phenomena!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu