Audio Technica Cartridge VM95E too bright

Scott1951

Nov 20, 2019
I got an Audio Technica VM95E/H cartridge and the overall sound is too bright for my taste. It also has a slight hum between songs sometimes. I have the model that came premounted in a head shell. If I continue playing this cartridge until it breaks in will the brightness tone down a little? Also, if I use my existing head shell instead of the one that came with it would that help the hum problem? I’m using a Gemini XL-500 II turntable, Sony 100 watts per channel receiver and Polk speakers. Thank you!

Jparkie79

Oct 5, 2021
Merseyside
I dont no if you are listing with the lid open but I have found that if you don’t close the lid on the turntable when playing you get feed back like a humming sound.
I also found that a set of good quality leads that have been burned in for 72-120 hours makes a big difference in sound quality check out furtureshop online.

Hope this helps has I’m new to all this myself so still trying to find my feet with it all.

Regards
James

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
I got an Audio Technica VM95E/H cartridge and the overall sound is too bright for my taste. It also has a slight hum between songs sometimes. I have the model that came premounted in a head shell. If I continue playing this cartridge until it breaks in will the brightness tone down a little? Also, if I use my existing head shell instead of the one that came with it would that help the hum problem? I’m using a Gemini XL-500 II turntable, Sony 100 watts per channel receiver and Polk speakers. Thank you!
When the cartridge runs in the brightness should go away.try and separate the power cords from speaker and interconnect cables and the hum should go away.

MPS

Jun 20, 2016
Finland
Hum is most often caused by grounding issues. Check your cables and test if removing turntable ground wire actually removes the hum or makes it worse.
Audio Technica cardridges typically have pronounced top end, nothing much that can be done with that. Anyway it's good to check turntable, headshell and cardridge adjustments, misalignment will increase distortion which then adds irritating brightness to the sound.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing