Aurender N30 - To stay competitive in 2021

zebo67

VIP/Donor
Apr 27, 2017
systems.audiogon.com
You have a full set from Merging Technologies and you are still using an Aurender? Don’t you use the Nadac+Player as a server?
I own a ACS100, which serves as ‘server’ and storage for my CD rips and DSD downloads. I continue to buy silver discs that are sourced from analog master tapes so ACS100 ripping, curation and file management comes in handy. Plus, Aurender supports Ravenna which allows seamless integration and playback of my stored files.

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
Totally disagree but that is my humble opinion.
Which part of what I wrote - that I inferred that it user experience?

This is subjective of course. For me it has a lot to do with their tagging. I love that I don’t have to fret with that when I use Roon as they usually find a good match.

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
Which part of what I wrote - that I inferred that it user experience?

This is subjective of course. For me it has a lot to do with their tagging. I love that I don’t have to fret with that when I use Roon as they usually find a good match.
1st I disagree with people in general telling others what sounds good. That is like me telling someone sky blue is better than navy blue. This is for all products. I use forums to find out about products, I use my ears to decide if I like a product.

2nd I haven't had any issue with Roon support. I have posted questions on their board and I have received answers to my question. I had a database issue a couple of years ago and they fixed it pretty quick.

3rd Roon does everything I need it to do. Again everything I need it to do.

Now if one doesn't like it I say don't use it. Everyone makes their own decision. I'm sure I'm different in that if I don't like something I leave it alone. That doesn't seem to be the case on forums. For Roon to be the music management SW everyone compares things to, it can't be that bad in my opinion.

zebo67

VIP/Donor
Apr 27, 2017
systems.audiogon.com
1st I disagree with people in general telling others what sounds good. That is like me telling someone sky blue is better than navy blue. This is for all products. I use forums to find out about products, I use my ears to decide if I like a product.

2nd I haven't had any issue with Roon support. I have posted questions on their board and I have received answers to my question. I had a database issue a couple of years ago and they fixed it pretty quick.

Now if one doesn't like it I say don't use it. Everyone makes their own decision. I'm sure I'm different in that if I don't like something I leave it alone. That doesn't seem to be the case on forums. For Roon to be the music management SW everyone compares things to, it can't be that bad in my opinion.
Everyone has a version what’s sounds best in the context of their system, room and personal preferences. But to claim Roon is best in terms of SQ, that is no longer the case based on recent developments in Innuos and Taiko camps. I liked Roon for the most part, it’s a very nice alternative to my Conductor app.

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
But to claim Roon is best in terms of SQ,
Sorry but when did I say Roon SQ was the best? I said it is for me to decide. I will not take anyone word on what sounds best. I actually listen to it myself and then decide.

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA

You made the statement "I must say for people to "hate" Roon so much why do we keep hearing people talking about it." I was providing insight into the why those who "hate" Roon often talk about it. We want it to get better.

As far as your first point of disagreement, we are expressing what our own ears tell us. That's why these forums exist.

I'm glad that Roon does everything you need it to do. Many of us wish we could say the same thing, but unfortunately we can't. Please don't begrudge us for that. You would benefit too if Roon were to address our concerns.

Reactions: zebo67

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
We are getting into the weeds here. My initial statement was pretty simple (maybe just to me). If Roon or anything for that matter is so bad, why do people keep bringing it up? I know I have found products that I didn't like and honestly I don't really think about them much anymore. Again maybe it is just me.

I believe people use these forums for many reasons. If one use these forums for people to tell them how something sounds, that is great. I'm just not one of them. I'm not saying my way is better or worse than anyone else. Just different.

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
e are getting into the weeds here. My initial statement was pretty simple (maybe just to me). If Roon or anything for that matter is so bad, why do people keep bringing it up? I know I have found products that I didn't like and honestly I don't really think about them much anymore. Again maybe it is just me
I tried to explain why Roon is different. My mistake in thinking you were looking for an explanation.

QuadDiffuser

VIP/Donor
Apr 2, 2017
Hong Kong
Since you’re using N30 in your system, are you planning to add the Aurender clock? I have been asking Aurender to come up with their own external clock so it will be interesting to hear how this external clock raises the performance of already excellent W20SE, N20 and N30SA.
I struggle to understand why an external clock would be beneficial to the performance of Aurender’s top-tier music servers, as the USB output (which I’m assuming most people are using for both DSD and streamed MQA) protocol is asynchronous, unlike the S/PDIF standard. I also don’t understand Aurender’s rationale for incorporating the Rubidium clock in the MC20, as its longer-term clock accuracy feature is superfluous when compared to the importance of minimizing the much more critical shorter-term jitter. In my system, my Cybershaft 10MHz sine wave clock is used exclusively for my three SOtM components, and my MSB Select DAC’s 33 FemtoSec clock synchronizes the incoming data from the Pro-USB dongle. Neither clock synchronizes my Aurender W20, and it’s perfectly fine that way!

Last edited:

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
I ordered N30 today and expect to receive it by the end of next week.

After auditioing N20 with Dave, I had been mightly impressed.

Since I also plan to upgrade Dac in the near future, I had decided on N 30 instead. :)

Congrats. N30s are an excellent investment.

Last edited:
Reactions: thomask

zebo67

VIP/Donor
Apr 27, 2017
systems.audiogon.com

Since I also plan to upgrade Dac in the near future, I had decided on N 30 instead. :)
Great call on N30. What is your current DAC and what are you upgrading to?

sapirg

May 29, 2018

Hello thomask
what your impressions about SQ between N20 vs N30.
Thank you,
Best regards
Gady

rau

Aug 6, 2015
Wisconsin
N20 is very good and I feel it's best value for the money , the N30 is better but your paying for that other 10-20 %

Reactions: zebo67

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
N20 is very good and I feel it's best value for the money , the N30 is better but your paying for that other 10-20 %
Law of diminishing return apply to any high end audio.

10k$ MSB Select II may not be twice better than half priced Lampi Horizon.

i will also give my opinion on whether N30 is 10% or 25% better than N20 in my system by next week.

But I enjoy music through N20 which is very good for the money.

Last edited:

rau

Aug 6, 2015
Wisconsin
Law of diminishing return apply to any high end audio.

10k MSB Select II may not be twice better than half priced Lampi Horizon.

i will also give my opinion on whether N30 is 10% or 25% better than N20 in my system by next week.

[youtube]bkfsFVo4_Zo[/MEDIA]

But I enjoy music through N20 which is very good for the
Im using Lampizator Horizon with Taiko Extreme and N30 with Lampizator GA TRP

Reactions: christoph

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
How does the taiko compare to the N30? Can the Aurender use roon?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing