Avantgarde Horn Speakers

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
This is very interesting to hear - Hear hear ;) .... I have been wanting and hoping to replace my older Duo's with newer Trio's (preferred) or Duo Mezzo for some time - just looking for the right deal on a used pair. From what I think I'm hearing you say, you don't find the gap from old to new Duo's that large. I wonder if you would mind elaborating a bit more?

The trios with bass horns are a massive upgrade over duos Marslo has now bought trios, his duo mezzo XD are now on sale. When I had visited the AG factory (three, four years ago) Armin's preference there was also clear. You can listen to all their speakers there. It isn't even close.

Reactions: Ovenmitt

jatindersangha

Aug 25, 2020
HI,

"Hear here" - yes, I saw your photos and thread re your upgrade to the frame...it's interesting and I'm sure could be easily modified to support different heights for the horns - as I think that's a very useful feature should you move or re-arrange things. I'm not sure I'd like to lose that facility.

I have tried (unsuccessfully) to time-align the tweeter horn. I used wire to suspend them from the midrange horns - it proved so fiddly to adjust up/down tilt, forwards/backwards position and left/right angle that I gave up! I think a simple platform is probably the easiest solution here that I'll try sometime soon.

Thanks for the PEEK suggestion - I hadn't thought of that.

--Jatinder

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
HI,

"Hear here" - yes, I saw your photos and thread re your upgrade to the frame...it's interesting and I'm sure could be easily modified to support different heights for the horns - as I think that's a very useful feature should you move or re-arrange things. I'm not sure I'd like to lose that facility.

I have tried (unsuccessfully) to time-align the tweeter horn. I used wire to suspend them from the midrange horns - it proved so fiddly to adjust up/down tilt, forwards/backwards position and left/right angle that I gave up! I think a simple platform is probably the easiest solution here that I'll try sometime soon.

Thanks for the PEEK suggestion - I hadn't thought of that.

--Jatinder
Remember that Avantgarde's feature that allows for different horn heights is sadly no longer available in any of their models. I found the default mid-position suited me both at my London flat and my present home in Portsmouth. Since I'd never adjusted the height of the horns, I made the F Frame to match this height. It could easily be made to suit the higher or lower positions - or with a bit of design thought could be made height adjustable.

The F-Frame that I use can easily be tilted slightly by adding washers between the bracket and the back of the enclosure – this would equally tilt both units. To tilt just one horn, a shim could be added between the back or front of the horn tube and the prong of the frame.

To adjust fore and aft time-alignment, additional holes could be drilled through the arms of the F Frame so one or both horns could be moved forwards or backwards.

I made the frame to suit how I wanted the horns, but could have made it far more “experimental” so height, tilts and time-alignment could all be easily adjusted. These are things that can't be adjusted in Avantgarde or virtually any other brand of speaker. Peter

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
Thank you for the thoughtful and (very) informative response @Hear Here .... I really appreciate the points you make. I do have pre Omega Duo's. Mine are a strange-dish model called 2.3. They have all Cardas internal wire, PC's, and jumpers (replaced w/Shunyata Aurora) and Cardas binding posts. Also BDR cones and pucks for feet.

Over the past year or so I've upgraded most of my other components and am really enjoying the sound I'm hearing now. I also built a purpose built studio, with dedicated power, acoustic modeling, etc. These things have all contributed greatly.

A long time ago I heard a pair of Trio's at an audio dealer locally and the sound has stuck with me ever since. These must have also been pre-omega and they just had two sets of 225 subs with them. It's real hard to say how close my speakers are to those after all this time. Maybe it's time to stay put and tell the stereo upgrade bug to go back to bed ;)

@rob_c - welcome to the thread... I have a pair (I think two is essential) REL Studio 3 subwoofers on the bottom end of my system. They have really transformed the whole deal here and I find them a super critical piece of the sonic tapestry. I do like to listen loud sometimes - whatever the music seems to call for - but I'm definitely not a bass thumping kinda guy. I find that the subs pressurize the room in a certain way that makes all music come to life. They add texture and depth, whether I'm listening softly or loudly. If you can find a pair of the older generation REL's you should definitely give them a try IMHO.
Ovenmitt - I've just noticed that you use an Art Audio PX-25 amp with your Avantgardes. I used to have one of these beautiful amps powering my Unos. I found it absolutely sublime on smaller scale music in particular female vocal, but a little lacking in Ooomph with big orchestral stuff. My speakers were "only" 102 dB - I wonder how this amp would match my current 107 dB Duos?

I helped Tom Willis with demos in London as he had no dealers there, so I had generous loans of his PX-25 and 845 Carissa amps. I was very sorry when he asked for them back! We took my Uno speakers with his amps to a couple of UK Hi-Fi Shows where the combo sounded better (according to numerous visitors) than AGs own room where Avantgarde speakers were powered by Avantgarde's own SS amps. Peter

remdeck

Apr 10, 2018
Marslo, do you have a link to your mezzo, where to buy?

I don't have space to put Trio but the Trio is such a big step up from the smaller models, it's hard to believe. Heard the Mezzo and Trio within a week and then 2 weeks after that the biggest Trio at the factory of Avantgarde. The big horn of the Trio makes the system so much more natural in the area 100-200hz... Really a incredible system!

wil

Jul 22, 2015
Late to this thread, I own Duo Omegas. I bought them in 2006 and later upgraded them myself to Omega status. I power them with AudioPax Model 88 Monoblocks that were specially tweaked for the Duos by Eduardo de Lima, the designer of the amp.

I agree with what others have said, these speakers only shine in a largish room where you can sit at least 4 meters away. Definitely not near or mid-field reproducers. If you sit too close you have driver integration issues.

I too use a subwoofer for everything below 80 Hz to lighten the load on the 225s. I would like to find something to totally replace the 225s but I have had no luck to date. Alternatively, I'm looking for a second set of 225s to augment the existing set.
I've found the Mezzo XD's to be very good at a distance in my large room, however my sweet spot for them is at 10'. No driver coherence problems.

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Marslo, do you have a link to your mezzo, where to buy?

I don't have space to put Trio but the Trio is such a big step up from the smaller models, it's hard to believe. Heard the Mezzo and Trio within a week and then 2 weeks after that the biggest Trio at the factory of Avantgarde. The big horn of the Trio makes the system so much more natural in the area 100-200hz... Really a incredible system!
Hi Remdeck,

I will pm you the name and the phone number of the owner of Nautilus in Krakow.
The delivery of Trios LE26 to me will be most probably delayed to the end of January , so my Mezzos will be available only beginnig February.
rgds
m

Last edited:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Hi Remdeck,

I will pm you the name and the phone number of the owner of Nautilus in Krakow.
The delivery of Trios LE26 to me will be most probably delayed to the end of January , so my Mezzos will be available only beginnig February.
rgds
m
You ordered Trios? :eek:
Congrats :cool:
What Colors?
With whichs subs?
Will your wonderful painting have to be removed for the subs :oops:

Last edited:
Reactions: remdeck

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
You ordered Trios? :eek:
Congrats :cool:
What Colors?
With whichs subs?

Yes, guilty , Your Honour;)
The supervisory board;) decided about the color of the horns - it will remain the same ie stealth nocturne grey. The LE 26 version has the reinforced frame covered with oak venner.

I will start with two REL 812/s following the experience of Jim Smith , former AG US dealer.
I take into consideration also SWS , JL and finally - the 231 subs.

Will take my time for listening and evaluation.

Last edited:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Yes, guilty , Your Honour;)
The supervisory board;) decided about the color of the horns - it will remain the same ie stealth nocturne grey. The LE 26 version has the reinforced frame covered with oak venner.

I will start with two REL 812/s following the experience of Jim Smith , former AG US dealer.
I take into consideration also SWS , JL and finally - the 231 subs.

Will take my time for listening and evaluation.
Wow, that is awesome, congrats!! :cool:

I like your choice of color.
Timeless and classy and leaves you all options with colors elsewhere in the room.

I think I saw the wood frames for the first time in Munich on those beautiful Orange horns :D
That frame looks SOOOO MUCH better than the regular one ;)

The big AG horn subs are just sooo outrageously expensive and huge :rolleyes:
I wish you lots of fun and success on your upcoming journey :cool:

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Thank you Christoph. After 10 years of experience with AG horns I am ready to go my own way for the band from 20 to 100 Hz.
The best would probably be to install 2 basshorns but that would have completely ruin the living room . Apart from their big footprint , they are expensive too .

I have pulled the trigger after a very enthousiastic opinion of the fellow audiophile from soundrebels.com who is not a big fan of AG horns but according to him the sound of LE 26 version has nothing to do with the regular version which he didn't like. I think the reduction of frame vibrations and special , very expensive super- capacitors ( around 800 euro a piece ) make the difference.

Last but not least - afaik I ordered the last available pair of Trios LE 26 .

Mono & Stereo © 2020: NEW AVANTGARDE ACOUSTIC TRIO LUXURY EDITION 26 HORN SPEAKERS (monoandstereo.com)

Last edited:

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
Marslo

Many congratulations on your Trio Limited Luxury Edition purchase. I'm sure it will sound as great as it looks.

Peter

Reactions: marslo

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Marslo

Many congratulations on your Trio Limited Luxury Edition purchase. I'm sure it will sound as great as it looks.

Peter
Thank you Peter
I wish you are right ;)
Mariusz

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Last but not least - afaik I ordered the last available pair of Trios LE 26 .
Dead sexy :cool:
I guess that is what they tell all of you 26 lucky guys ;)
That makes probably for 13 first ones and 13 last ones :p:D

Reactions: Bobvin and marslo

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Nice one on the Trio's Marslo.

Are you still using the Ayon integrated with the KT150's was it... if I remember correctly?

Anyway, that should be a mighty fine setup!
Cheers, and enjoy those fine tunes!
RJ

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Nice one on the Trio's Marslo.

Are you still using the Ayon integrated with the KT150's was it... if I remember correctly?

Anyway, that should be a mighty fine setup!
Cheers, and enjoy those fine tunes!
RJ
Hi Big;)
Ayon Crossfire is a SET with A62 as power tubes, a kind of 300 B on steroids;), rated 2X30W.
I bought recently a Polish hybryd design , a Circle Labs A100 which is a perfect match with my Mezzo XD. I keep them both.
Then will see which one is better for Trios.
Thank you for your kind words.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Marslo - many congratulations on your new speakers. Looking forward to seeing photos in your beautiful room.

Best.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Ah yes, now I remember Marslo you had the Ayon Crossfire amplifier which was a SET design. I also remember quite a while back you were very pleased with the Duo's and what it delivered in your specific room setup.

Now that you've gone for the Trio's, which I'm thinking is an upgrade? What was you're rationale behind the decision on theTrio's? What was lacking in the Duo's or is it a point of difference where the entire dimension / presentation changes?
Would be interesting to know.

Cheers Marslo,
RJ

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Well , there are many reasons.
First of all , I am nearly 62 , if not now then when ?:)
Secondly, Ked was always so sure about the supremacy of Trios over Duos that I started to think that he might be right;), he has a good ear, maybe not golden as he claims;) but for sure younger that mine and he has a huge experience with different setups all over the world.

To be honest I was impressed by Trios only once - in Munich 2014 - but I liked them more than Living Voice top of the line with Kondo.
After the Ked's visit in my place I started to listen more critical to the the " subwoofer sound " of the bandwith between 100 and 200 Hz , that's the real difference between Duos and Trios.

I wanted to listen to Universum III at home but it's quite difficult to organise due to the pandemic situation.

Finnally, the enthousiastic opinion of Jacek , one of two owners of soundrebels.com about the LE26 version plus the fact that there are the last pairs available made me to pull the trigger.

I am aware that Trios without basshorns would be a compromise but the adult life is full of compromises , isn't it ? ;)

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Well , there are many reasons.
First of all , I am nearly 62 , if not now then when ?:)
Secondly, Ked was always so sure about the supremacy of Trios over Duos that I started to think that he might be right;), he has a good ear, maybe not golden as he claims;) but for sure younger that mine and he has a huge experience with different setups all over the world.

To be honest I was impressed by Trios only once - in Munich 2014 - but I liked them more than Living Voice top of the line with Kondo.
After the Ked's visit in my place I started to listen more critical to the the " subwoofer sound " of the bandwith between 100 and 200 Hz , that's the real difference between Duos and Trios.

I wanted to listen to Universum III at home but it's quite difficult to organise due to the pandemic situation.

Finnally, the enthousiastic opinion of Jacek , one of two owners of soundrebels.com about the LE26 version plus the fact that there are the last pairs available made me to pull the trigger.

I am aware that Trios without basshorns would be a compromise but the adult life is full of compromises , isn't it ? ;)

amazing the importance of 100hz of signal :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing