Avantgarde Horn Speakers

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
Hi Blue

Your Duos appear to be similar vintage to my own ones - before I bought the XDs a few months ago. I'm sure you've explored alternative settings, but can I suggest you try this for one evening's listening and then switch back next day and listen to the same tracks.

Adjust Frequency to 140 and bump up the volume a bit - perhaps even to level, or 2 or 3 "clicks" back from there. It will present an unfamilar sound but once you get used to it, you may think there's a smidge of mudiness when you switch back to your settings as per photo, specially at louder levels. I think you may experience a richer bass but one that doesn't grate in louder sections. Or you may not! Worth a try though - I was hesitent to move away from recommended settings, but I'm certainly glad I did. Let us know your findings.

Peter

This very much matches my experience too - both in my old (smaller) room and my larger room. In fact, I wonder if a lot of the issues people have when auditioning Duo’s is from the sub cross over being set too high - looking at you Ked :p.... As I mentioned earlier, when I augmented my Duo’s with stereo REL’s the bass in my room got a whole lot better - very fast, no standing waves, etc. A single sub wouldn’t time right.

FWIW, My aim is impact, dynamics, musical texture.... an upright bass to sound like an upright bass and to play in time with the kick drum, etc.

Like @jatindersangha, I’ve used simple software to measure in room response and also had my acoustician run models with the crazy software he used. All very flat with subs at 140-ish. With the REL‘s I’m down about 5dB at 18 cycles. Also, with the REL’s I did back the levels on the Duo subs down quite a bit.

Anil Kalagatla

Mar 2, 2011
Shoreline, WA
@Hear Here

Peter,

From the subs I consider SVS has a kind of simple DSP regulation with the dedicated application for smartphones. REL recommends tunning ' " on ear " . You are rigth that the home Avantgards DSP requires their subwoofers, so if the first two will desappoint me I will go for 231 XD subs.

SVS SB16-Ultra Subwoofer | 16-inch Driver | 1,500 Watts RMS (svsound.com)

Mariusz
Congrats on the LE26 Trios! I would be very curious about your experiences with subwoofer integration

Anil

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Congrats on the LE26 Trios! I would be very curious about your experiences with subwoofer integration

Anil
Thank you very much, I will share my thoughts.

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph

Jim Smith

Industry Expert
Dec 14, 2012
That's true according to the AG spec although I've found (and many others too) that setting the XO at around 140 Hz offers a better, less muddied sound around the crossover between mid and bass. I believe (although if he's here I hope he will correct me) that Jim Smith favours a lower XO than the brochure suggests.

I'd be interested in your experience if you have Duos. Try a lower XO setting if you haven't already done so. Peter
Yes, when I was their North American distributor from 2000-2005, I always found that the Duos sounded more tuneful & alive when crossed over at 140. Of course the bass level had to be slightly raised. And I always used that setting at every audio show, where we received consistent acclaim for our sound.

ferenc_k

Apr 9, 2011
I posted this picture in the "SET amp owners" thread, but there is a change it will be interesting here as well as the Trio is working extremely well with this amplification.

"I honestly can say, after living with a pair of Avantgarde Acoustics Trio and an original Kondo made Audio Note Kageki for some 8 years, this is far the most entertaining, emotionally involving and lifelike triode tube amplification I have ever tried. It just projects the music and does not matter what kind of source you are using. Finds the music in the pits, and in vinyl and in files, streaming too."

Attachments

• Clarinet_Audio_system_pano_v2.jpg
    Clarinet_Audio_system_pano_v2.jpg
    390.4 KB · Views: 47
  • BD34A585-81EC-4799-B89D-326B797C29A1.jpg
    BD34A585-81EC-4799-B89D-326B797C29A1.jpg
    989.5 KB · Views: 47

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I posted this picture in the "SET amp owners" thread, but there is a change it will be interesting here as well as the Trio is working extremely well with this amplification.

"I honestly can say, after living with a pair of Avantgarde Acoustics Trio and an original Kondo made Audio Note Kageki for some 8 years, this is far the most entertaining, emotionally involving and lifelike triode tube amplification I have ever tried. It just projects the music and does not matter what kind of source you are using. Finds the music in the pits, and in vinyl and in files, streaming too."

Congrats! I would love to learn more about your experience with other speakers and how they have compared for you to the Avantgarde Trios. I have listened to Cessaro Beta + Sub and Liszt plus smaller Avantgardes...and another make that I cannot recall at this time.

But I have not heard the really big Avantgardes...Thanks for any thoughts on:
- other speakers you have owned perhaps
- what about the Avantgarde Trios makes them special for you

I have been watching quite a growing dialogue around horns in the last 12-18 months that no doubt started well before that...but really grabbed my interest when I first came across DDK with his massive Bionors and then started reading about equipment from Audio Federation.

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017

Beautiful set-up. I'd be interested in hearing more about your experiences with your Trio's and also about your amplification. More specifically, I wonder what model subs you have in your picture and if you have experience with other subwoofers/bass cabinets?

Reactions: ferenc_k

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

What is the streaming source and DAC that is being used in this system? I have owned the Simon York, loved the turntable sound but hated the tonearm - very hard to set up, as it does not have any marks or references in the tube.

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016

The landscape photo can be a bit misleading, but may I ask what is the distance from the speakers to the listening spot?

ferenc_k

Apr 9, 2011
Congrats! I would love to learn more about your experience with other speakers and how they have compared for you to the Avantgarde Trios. I have listened to Cessaro Beta + Sub and Liszt plus smaller Avantgardes...and another make that I cannot recall at this time.

But I have not heard the really big Avantgardes...Thanks for any thoughts on:
- other speakers you have owned perhaps
- what about the Avantgarde Trios makes them special for you

I have been watching quite a growing dialogue around horns in the last 12-18 months that no doubt started well before that...but really grabbed my interest when I first came across DDK with his massive Bionors and then started reading about equipment from Audio Federation.

I was using Trios, since the late nineties, in several different versions. I visited Holger Fromme in Germany before I bought the first one and he was really convincing at their office. The picture below shows my set up roughly 16 and 10 years ago, when I started to experiment with computer audio sources (the first one is with Audio Note Kageki (Kondo) amp and the very first ever SACD transport / DAC combo from Accuphase, the second is with another experiment with the car battery driven Altmann amp and DAC).

I really like the way how the Trios can project recording space (if there is any and not reverbed in post-production as usual nowadays). If Trios dialed in properly and if they are combined with suitable electronics they can provide a "wall of sound" and dynamism like very few other speakers.

I had all the large Klipsch (Horn, LaScala) high sensitivity horns and quite a few PA speakers as well, like the very good Danley Soundlabs (these are so ugly that can make you divorced really quickly). I had Zu, Audio Note, Focal Utopia series and few active speakers like Quested, PMC, ATC, etc.

Avantgrade_Trio_0017.jpg

DSC_0064.jpg

ferenc_k

Apr 9, 2011
What is the streaming source and DAC that is being used in this system? I have owned the Simon York, loved the turntable sound but hated the tonearm - very hard to set up, as it does not have any marks or references in the tube.
The digital source in this system is a 47Labs CD player at the moment you can see it on the upper right corner of the picture, but it was used with different streamers in the past, like the very affordable Lindemann Limetree series for example.

IMG_5562.jpg

ferenc_k

Apr 9, 2011
The landscape photo can be a bit misleading, but may I ask what is the distance from the speakers to the listening spot?
Yeah it is a bit misleading for sure, generally, it is a kind of near field listening, roughly 2,5 - 3,5 m depending on actual listening situation. The room has a bit strange shape, and it is what works best.

ferenc_k

Apr 9, 2011
Beautiful set-up. I'd be interested in hearing more about your experiences with your Trio's and also about your amplification. More specifically, I wonder what model subs you have in your picture and if you have experience with other subwoofers/bass cabinets?
The sub is an older, original Avantgarde active sub with the 2x12 inch speakers in it.
The Trio's internal cabling is not the original, it was re-cabled by the silver Clarinet Audio cables, so as all the speaker, interconnect and power cables in the system and all the internal hook-up cables in the amps. I think using the same cable type throughout the complete system is very important in case of the Trios. They are like a microscope (on a good way) so they can show all the small inconsistencies but only if you want to focus on them, they are not forcing you to find problems, but let you know if you want.

The amps are using so-called parallel single-ended dual 300B triodes per channel, providing 12W power of each channel, and very high power bandwidth up to 70 kHz, from 5 Hz. You can read a bit more info about them on the home page.

ferenc_k

Apr 9, 2011
Another user showed his Clarinet Audio amps and Avantgarde Trio based system in "SET amp user topic" too. He is using the newer Avantgarde sub, the SUB231 in his system. This is what he said about his system: "I use a Clarinet Audio combo (pre-amp, L + R amp) with an Avantgarde Acoustics Trio - the system delivers incredible clarity and depth of sound, even when streaming or watching concert movies on Youtube (for streaming I use Lindemann Limetree Network). This set deserves attention."

IMG20201216093120.jpg IMG20201216093104.jpg

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Another user showed his Clarinet Audio amps and Avantgarde Trio based system in "SET amp user topic" too. He is using the newer Avantgarde sub, the SUB231 in his system. This is what he said about his system: "I use a Clarinet Audio combo (pre-amp, L + R amp) with an Avantgarde Acoustics Trio - the system delivers incredible clarity and depth of sound, even when streaming or watching concert movies on Youtube (for streaming I use Lindemann Limetree Network). This set deserves attention."

View attachment 72481 View attachment 72482

Very elegant looking amps - I love the lines, layout, and finish.

Reactions: ferenc_k

ferenc_k

Apr 9, 2011
Very elegant looking amps - I love the lines, layout, and finish.
Yes, they really are. The photos do not show their full glory. Their finish is extremely smooth, very finely textured, you definitely want to touch it. Exactly like their sound. When I order my next Trio it will have the same light beige colour what is the chassis colour of the amps.

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

ferenc_k

Apr 9, 2011

By the way, in this setup, the internal speaker wiring and the crossover parts are upgraded with the same custom made, handbuilt parts and silver wires what are used for the amp internal hook - up wiring and what are the interconnect, speaker and mains cables wires. It gives more air, better timing and even more truthfulness to the whole setup, which is important for me as I make the My Reel Club live studio recordings without mastering and with an audience in DSD256, so I have few recordings to compare to the memories of the live event. You really cannot hear the speakers, they are completely disappearing. I have never experienced better integration between the amps and speakers and it helps one to find the best sub and room integration, positioning too.

EBITDAC

Jan 21, 2021
Hi guys, long time listener, first time caller here. I picked up a pair of Duo 2.2s last week. I also got the former owners bi wire cable set and jumper (Wireworld Gold Eclipse III).

I’ve had a fair bit of difficulty getting them tuned in right. I currently have toe in where the two outer bars are parallel, the rear bolt method didn’t sound as good. I have the crossovers at 140 and the volume set to about 11 o clock.

On fast orchestral pieces, the mids end up sounding a little muddy. Any ideas on things to adjust to alleviate that? Female voices are slightly nasally as well.

I moved up from Klipsch Heresy IIIs, so I’m still getting used to the huge jump in quality here.

Last edited:

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Hello Ebitdac,

I am not sure where you live but probably some of the best money you could spend it to have Jim Smith come and set up your speakers. He used to be the AG distributor and is renowned for his ability to get the AG's to sing. Of course this will probably have to be post pandemic.

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
Hi guys, long time listener, first time caller here. I picked up a pair of Duo 2.2s last week. I also got the former owners bi wire cable set and jumper (Wireworld Gold Eclipse III).

I’ve had a fair bit of difficulty getting them tuned in right. I currently have toe in where the two outer bars are parallel, the rear bolt method didn’t sound as good. I have the crossovers at 140 and the volume set to about 11 o clock.

On fast orchestral pieces, the mids end up sounding a little muddy. Any ideas on things to adjust to alleviate that? Female voices are slightly nasally as well.

I moved up from Klipsch Heresy IIIs, so I’m still getting used to the huge jump in quality here.
Congratulations on your Avantgarde purchase. I bought used Duos last year following 17 years with Unos.

I think mine are the same as yours but the Duo 2.2 description is not an AG label but one that Jim Smith, the US distributor at the time used after he asked AG to make small mods for the US market. OK, let’s check. I guess yours have 10” drivers with roll surrounds, not 7” or foam – that’s good. The amp may have only speaker-level inputs or both speaker and line level via XLR. The latter is more recent – post about 2006 – as mine are. The drivers are presumably specified as 8 ohms not the Omega ones at 18 ohms. If that matches your speakers they are the same model as mine.

In my room I set the bass level at 3 small clicks back from vertical, so about 11 o’clock and I also find 140 the best XO setting – all as you have with yours. If you set the XO much higher, there’s an overlap that muddies the sound. Your description may suggest a slight lowering of the XO – try 120 although in theory this may leave a bit of a gap, but still worth trying.

What distance apart are your speakers and how far away is your listening position? Do you have both your horns set at the mid-height position and what feet are you using on what floor surface? There are all important, as is toe-in. Distance from side and rear walls is far less important with AGs than most box speakers and much less so than planars. Your room will be the biggest influence on the sound so experiments with toe-in, height, feet, etc all need careful assessment. In my room (very odd as it’s parabolic in shape 945 sq ft, low ceilings and speakers placed mid-room), I find the distance between speakers is best slightly less than distance from listening position. I find toe-in to almost directly towards me is best although aiming them 1 ft in front of and even 1 ft behind your head may well pay off.

I have solid floors (timber boards on screed on concrete) with carpet over 1/3 of the room area including my listening area but not under the speakers. I don’t like spikes but prefer footers such as IsoAcoustic Gaia Is (although I have IIs at present – a bit overloaded) as they improve bass detail in particular quite significantly and bass volume a little too. I’m told that Symphosium Svelte platforms are good with AGs too.
IMG_0099.JPG
I decided I wanted to get rid of the 3 upright poles as I find them unattractive, so I’ve modified mine so the tubes are now supported by the prongs of an F shaped frame attached to the back to the speakers. All achieved without damaging the Duos and, in my opinion look much better and (with more attention to vibration control) also sound a little better. Drawings available if interested. Good luck with your tuning – don’t rush. Peter

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing