B&W Loudspeakers - Tribute to John Bowers

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
My system took a big gut punch with the loss of the KBL. And to make it worse, I bought a pair of the MIT balanced ICs to use between the two Krell pieces and Joe Abrams gave me full credit for the MIT RCA ICs which I was using and had to return. So now I'm back to some Cardas ICs and I'm not loving where I'm at compared to where I've been.

Mark,

I hope that will all change in another 4 to 6 weeks for you. I know personally how frustrating it is to wait for equipment to be returned or completed.

Rich

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Mark,

I hope that will all change in another 4 to 6 weeks for you. I know personally how frustrating it is to wait for equipment to be returned or completed.

Rich

Or trying to evaluate some types of equipment during the burn in phase ... BTW, sometimes I feel the same about new shoes. :)

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Or trying to evaluate some types of equipment during the burn in phase ... BTW, sometimes I feel the same about new shoes. :)

I still want to raid your closet.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Let me know if you need a look out and a getaway driver. Will work for shaded dogs, wide bands, six eyes and bottles of Port. ;) ;) ;)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I still want to raid your closet.

To be friend of a few of my country high-end distributors is a dangerous game. Sometimes they take in part-exchange vintage equipment and as they know I appreciate it offer it a reasonable price.

This particular MV125 was my own unit, that was privately imported for me at a time cj had no distribution in Portugal. I used it for several years and sold it when I got the premier 350. Then it was sold to another guy, who gave it in part-exchange. How could I refuse to shelter it again, when it passed near my door? :eek:

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I’ve always wanted to hear the MV-125. That was the first CJ power amp to do away with electrolytic caps in the power supply and also used their next generation output transformers I believe.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I’ve always wanted to hear the MV-125. That was the first CJ power amp to do away with electrolytic caps in the power supply and also used their next generation output transformers I believe.

You are right. It is an wonderful amplifier - and I know cj sell an upgrade for it, the C1 Capacitor Upgrade. This upgrade includes the latest top of the line conradjohnson proprietary CJD Teflon* capacitors. Sooner or later I will have to fit it to my amplifier.

Unhappily very few units show in the second hand market - the audiogon bluebook lists only five sales in ten years with a mean value of usd 2050. Not bad for an amplifier that costed usd 3950.

A good friend om mine had the MV100 by the time I received my MV125 - it was a completely different amplifier, it sounded "thick" and lacking definition compared with the MV125.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
DSC.jpg

I was looking for some specific pictures in my 'hard copy' photo album and to my surprise found this. I forgot all about this pic, with me and the B&W 800 Matrix. Date stamp was September 1993 and taken with a point and shoot film type Nikon. Maybe that explains why the loudspeaker looks clearer than myself. :D Good memories.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I also followed a similar path like Jack, 301, 601, CDM1, Matrix and more recently a pair of N805 - all great designs which were my reason-of-entree to this hobby. I currently own an in-ear B&W phones which travel with me all the time.

Count me in to participate in a dedicated forum Steve.

Jimmy P

Dec 19, 2013
UK
Bowers and Wilkins gear is great value in the UK and although I don't use them currently as my main speakers I do use them in all other locations within my AV system. I currently have a pair of 804s (pre diamond post nautilus) floor standers, 2 pairs of CDM9NT floor standers, a pair of 601s3, a single CDMCNT and a ASWCDM subwoofer.

I used to own P4s, CDM1NT,s and CDM7SE,s that I liked hugely and only just agreed to sell them to a friend who gave them a good home. The only speaker I had and did not enjoy was a second hand pair on cdm1's that were very laid back an could have been faulty.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The Hartsfields are long gone but the Silver Signatures are still here. View attachment 4702

Yes I owned the SS's--wonderful speakers --the finest speaker John Bowers ever produced--I liked the original Snails as well

The current crop have lost the plot

BD

I have to agree with you - it is why I also still keep a pair of them. ;) Long ago I even owned the SS25 serial number 0001 and 0002, but had to sell them at some time. I was not happy until I got a mint boxed pair with the slat stands.

The original snails were really great, but they needed very large rooms and four pairs of amplifiers. I once was offered an used pair for around usd 10K and had to say no ... :(

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 770

hifistan

Jul 14, 2016
I started with the P2H and years later was a B&W dealer. Then I could carry an 801 by myself. now I am lucky to get around the room without falling. Enjoy your youth while you have it.

hifistan

Jul 14, 2016
I knew someone with the 808 [the very big one, do I have the number correct?] He made it sound as bad as possible. He has an inadequate amp located in his basement connected to his preamp with very long cables and the speakers connected to the amp with very long speaker wires. Both were cheap ones. I invited him to come to my house to hear what B&W SHOULD sound like. He was a college prof in engineering. I could have made them sound great. He never came.

hifistan

Jul 14, 2016
There was a pair on Audiogon some years ago and I almost bought them as they were being offered at a very reasonable price but my room was not big enough and I was afraid I would kill myself trying to move them. In the US gear is sometimes offered at very good prices. I use to be a dealer but bought most of my own gear used as it was much cheaper. No matter how good something is someone is ready to sell it without taking the time to properly set it up. My first look at this photo was " stay away from that thing, it looks dangerous!"

Patrick Butler

Sep 17, 2015
We have a pair of 808 in our Boston offices. Loads of fun.

Best Regards,

Patrick Butler
B&W Group North America

I knew someone with the 808 [the very big one, do I have the number correct?] He made it sound as bad as possible. He has an inadequate amp located in his basement connected to his preamp with very long cables and the speakers connected to the amp with very long speaker wires. Both were cheap ones. I invited him to come to my house to hear what B&W SHOULD sound like. He was a college prof in engineering. I could have made them sound great. He never came.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing