Bespoke Audio TVC Passive Preamp - An Unassuming Star

WilsonDaDa

Apr 10, 2019
Reactions: brencho

Jpspock

Dec 26, 2018
Very interesting. It seems that this preamp can be associated to a wide range of Amp… Good to know. :cool:

WilsonDaDa

Apr 10, 2019
Very interesting. It seems that this preamp can be associated to a wide range of Amp… Good to know. :cool:
This is a new generation of Bryston. It gets enough power and fine sounding.
The main question of passive pre amp is most likely from the gain output of the source. Once the output gain fits the need of the pre amp (the modern dac indeed helps a lot), the strengths of passive pre amp are easily shown up. :):)

WilsonDaDa

Apr 10, 2019
This special version of Bespoke silver TVC has arrived at the hk dealer last week.
My friend Paul has not picked it up yet so I went for a brief audition yesterday.
Although not burned-in it gave a huge soundstage, much bigger than the demo Bespoke copper version at the dealer showroom.
Great potential!
I guess this may be due to the bigger TVC copper enclosure/cowl of this special version.

View attachment 50360
Had an audition of this grand and beautiful passive pre amplifier last night. The soundstage is amazingly wide and deep.

Reactions: CKKeung

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
My Bespoke Silver preamp is on the road again!

20200208_065330~2.jpg

It's because I am sending it back to Harry & Lucy for upgrading to the spec of Ultimate Silver version, similar to the one owned by Matej Isak of monoandstereo.com
This is the photo of such version :
67242029_2449828838389155_2885855476132610048_o.jpg

The main difference is the cowls (outermost enclosures of the transformer).

For the usual Besopke models, the transformers are put inside mu metal shields first and then into aluminium alloy outer enclosures.
This is the internal photo of my Bespoke Silver :
193520d9aao63p961p1non~2.jpg

On the contrary, the cowls of Ultimate version are made with brass and are of bigger size :
78189245_2689975134374523_4663187783022542848_o (1)~3.jpg

They are also beautifully plated with true gold :
84385827_2825115904193778_6468769674661199872_o~3.jpg

Due to the diff materials and sizes of the Cowls, the Ultimate version gives a significantly more effortless sound and a much bigger 3-dimensional soundstage.

Initially I was uncertain whether the upgrade was feasible or not, but Ben Lau, the HK dealer asked Harry & Lucy at the Munich Show last year and the answer was affirmative.

Therefore I laision and group together several Bespoke owners in HK and send our Bespoke, some copper some silver models to UK for the upgrade.

Will update you on the progress.
:)

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Hi @CKKeung , so if I understand it, the change from mu metal transformer enclosures to bigger gold plated brass enclosures is supposed to make a significant difference in the sound? One has to wonder if it's not the case that the mu metal enclosures are somehow deficient in the first place. When do you expect it back?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hi @CKKeung , so if I understand it, the change from mu metal transformer enclosures to bigger gold plated brass enclosures is supposed to make a significant difference in the sound? One has to wonder if it's not the case that the mu metal enclosures are somehow deficient in the first place. When do you expect it back?
The size of the transformers and the mu metal shields of the usual models and Ultimate version are the same.

The only diff is the larger gold-plated brass cowl. There is more filling beewax inside them too.

Reactions: Taiko Audio

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com

The mu metal enclosures are still in place but not visible. The stock visible enclosures housing the mu metal encased transformers are made out of aluminium. These outter aluminium enclosures are the ones being replaced with larger brass enclosures (and more beeswax damping).

Reactions: DaveC

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
I wish they included a bigger cabinet with the upgrade. The cowls sticking out of cutouts on the top plate look out of place.....

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I personally like the look of the Ultimate Silver version very much, even though the original top-plate of my Bespoke Silver is gorgeous!

IMG-20180709-WA0021~2.jpg

I didn't sent it back with the preamp.
Will keep it as a souvenir.
:)

hifinutt

Mar 1, 2020
interesting to read this thread , there is extremely little written on UK forums about the bespoke . when harry worked for music first audio i had the mfa baby reference on which the bespoke is based i believe . I had it the same time as an arc ref 5 and it certainly was superb. the ref 5 only just pipped it in terms of realism but at the time it was double the price . wonderful pre amps

i believe they have upgraded the remote on the bespoke which is good , one reason i do not have a passive of this type in my system

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I changed my ref5se, with NOS tungsol, 6h30dr, for the Bespoke. I will never return back
So was my previous ARC 40th Anniv Preamp. Fully NOS tubes-rolled.
But I liked my Bespoke Silver much more.

Reactions: bazelio

JayDee

Feb 4, 2020
So. Wonder if i can be controversial. I have been using a new Townshend Allegri reference pre amp with Totaldac drivers. I believe that this betters the Bespoke Audio. Reviews are starting to come out from certain quarters. It will be interesting to see if anyone on this forum with a Bespoke ends up agreeing.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
That's not too controversial. The Townshend uses an AVC, the Bespoke a TVC. They do sound different in general. And then core material, winding material, etc. Both should be good, it's just that price doesn't always dictate preference.

What do you find to be "better" about the Townsend?

Last edited:
Reactions: KeithR

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
That's not too controversial. The Townshend uses an AVC, the Bespoke a TVC. They do sound different in general. And then core material, winding material, etc. Both should be good, it's just that price doesn't always dictate preference.

What do you find to be "better" about the Townsend?
Agree with Bazelio.
AVC and TVC have basic sonic diff but none is better than the other.
Execution of the manufacturing and the implementation of them make big diff too.

Reactions: bazelio

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing