Best Sounding FM Tuner?

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
A bit difficult to say for sure but sounds like an earlier Ft-101a which is supported by the asking price.
I have no personal experience of that model but would expect it to be good value for the money (preferably less $100 or so) if used with a good aerial and access to quality FM stations.
As with my 109T there may be scope for some beneficial tube rolling.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
WOW...that is one of the most comprehensive shoot-outs ever! 81 units all compared and ranked! If only FM had a definitive long-term future over digital radio, these would be worth investigating...

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Congrats on the tuner! Interesting web page

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
BTW, anyone know of a Burmester 978 Reference for sale???

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
With the passage of time, how kindly or poorly is the Magnum Dynalab MD-100 regarded today?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I purchased a Accuphase T-1200 Tuner last year I have to say it was one of the best all time audio purchase's in my 53 year audio career.
Sounds wonderful!
Regards
AJ
Wow...is that FM only, FM/AM only...or does it also do internet radio? I ask because I see many countries phasing FM signal out...and yet would love to find this source of music is available in great quality if such a piece could do both FM and internet.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Do most major radio stations which broadcast a digital signal also broadcast an analog signal?

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
FM Radio has a very distinct signature to me. On a great tuner music and especially the human voice has a quality that I really enjoy. My choice for a tuner is a Day Sequerra FM reference.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Do most major radio stations which broadcast a digital signal also broadcast an analog signal?
Yes and I have a tuner that does both as well as they all stream now too. I am one of those nut jobs that still likes radio and have always had a roof/attic mount antenna.

rando

Sep 22, 2019

Internationally, especially where state funding is present, numerous FM (analog) radio broadcasts are on the blocks with planned termination dates set. Shortly behind will come government mandates to clear the airwaves for other uses.

Inside the US corporate ownership will just pull the plug one day. Same as happened with television.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Inside the US corporate ownership will just pull the plug one day. Same as happened with television.

. . . And probably copper wire landlines as well!

Reactions: rando

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Yes and I have a tuner that does both as well as they all stream now too. I am one of those nut jobs that still likes radio and have always had a roof/attic mount antenna.

I have XM radio, but I find that I enjoy a larger fraction of the songs I hear on my local FM radio stations than on my selected various XM satellite radio channels. But this might be my imagination.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Here in the UK the BBC FM broadcasts are first class and the commercial FM station Classic FM is not far behind.
The threat to FM broadcasting here has eased but too early to say if it is secure. The still very large numbers of cars with FM radios has played a major part in the continuation of FM.
I suspect that it would take a brave Government to end FM given the substantail listening figures for Radio 3 and Classic FM.

Reactions: ack

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
I've had a so-called super good tuner. Now I only judge them based on how they look. Some day I may consider starting a collection. I really only care about them for talk radio most of the time.

47 Labs is one that comes to mind.

Marantz 10B is very nice, not cheap to find.
the Marantz 10B was amazingly complex and expensive.. So many tubes.. They lost money on every unit.
but it sounded very good.. I had the McIntosh MR78 which also sounded good, for a tuner..
I let it go after a couple of decades.. I miss the vintage look, but not the vintage sound..

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
the Marantz 10B was amazingly complex and expensive.. So many tubes.. They lost money on every unit.
but it sounded very good.. I had the McIntosh MR78 which also sounded good, for a tuner..
I let it go after a couple of decades.. I miss the vintage look, but not the vintage sound..
A friend has both the Marantz 10B and Day Sequerra which he never listens to. A collector.
I have not heard either of them so cannot comment on their sound quality, but the Marantz 10B is undoubtedly a very accomplished dust collector.
I am very happy with my MD 109T and external aerial which IMHO is overall a better buy than those older legendary models.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Hello,
with Multiplex Adapters a really good sounding Tuner Scott 330c used equipment must be revised
Scott-330-c-3.jpg

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Is anyone familiar with the Denon TU-900?

How does the TU-900 compare sonically to the Denon TU-800 or to the Denon TU-850?

How does the Denon TU-900 compre to the similar Sansui tuners, like the TU-919?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing