Best Sounding FM Tuner?

richard_crl032

Sep 10, 2019
Singapore
This bel canto is a better tuner than the accuphase t1000?
Without a shred of doubt in my system with my upgraded Denafrip Tplus dac albeit both are not analog since digitally processed ... it does not hurt that the Bel Canto is 24bit 192khz vs 16bit 96khz of the T1000.

I may not wish to share this if I had not managed to have the 2nd unit after 2 yr search globally as spare for my 24/7 listening to local fm stations .. lol !

I listen only intermittently to the hi res Qobuz, full flac internet stations via antipodes or even more rare occasional cd via Denafrips Avator transport.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Addicted to hifi

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Without a shred of doubt in my system albeit both are not analog since digitally processed.
Without a shred of doubt in my system albeit both are not analog since digitally processed ... it does not hurt that the Bel Canto is 24bit 192khz vs 16bit 96khz of the T1000.

I may not wish to share this if I had not managed to have the 2nd unit as spare for my 24/7 listening to local fm stations .. lol !

I listen only intermittently to the hi res Qobuz, full flac internet stations via antipodes or even more rare occasional cd via Denafrips Avator transport.

Cheers.
I do a lot of radio listening as well on a 1980s hafler dh330 fm tuner.was one of the best in its days.very reliable never been repaired.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
My Marantz 10B is doing very well thanks to Richard Modafferi as he messaged me this morning about the restoration he performed. I think I picked the right person.

"Hello,

Restoration successful. Tuner going back to Audio Classics today for glass replacement.

Tuner blew fuse because electrolytic capacitors had "deformed" after a long time with tuner not turned on. Capacitors successfully reformed and fuse replaced.
Tuner works (poorly needing alignment) but has no stereo. Problem traced to bad 38Khz transformer in MPX circuit. Open 1/2 secondary winding. Transformer
potted in epoxy and thus repair not possible, I have restored 187 Marantz 10B tuners since 1990 for Audio Classics. This one, number 188, is the first one I have seen with a bad 38Khz transformer! There are no available replacements for this part, and RM had to resort to a "fix" using a 38Khz transformer from McIntosh MR78,
my design. I was able to successfully install the McIntosh part into this 10B, modifying the Marantz circuit to use the McIntosh circuit which is my design. It works! 45dB separation!

Performed other necessary repairs and updates as needed. Audio Classics will deal with broken scope knob, either replacing it, or as I did, cementing knob to
shaft with Duco cement, which works. Audio Classics will have to remove knob and re-cement it for glass replacement.

10B works beautifully and looks nearly new after cleaning. Photo attached shows MR78 38Khz transformer in Marantz 10B chassis.

Rich Modafferi."

Now what are the chances of me purchasing a used 10B and the unit has a fault that is extremely rare for a 10B and sending the unit to the man that has "the part" and the knowledge to "fix" it.
I guess I was lucky. Btw Mac tuners do have a history of problems with these transformers.

Only two tuners left to restore in my collection....a MR71 and that goes to RM in 2 weeks and a Mac MR66
Richard sent me a photo of the "fix" for the bad 38Khz transformer.
And wow 188 Marantz 10B's I think he could fix one blind folded.
P.S. I forgot to mention I have seen 10B separation numbers from 30 db up to 45 db and Richard does mention 45db
I found this High Fidelity test that measured separation at 29db...if 45db is because of RM's upgrade that is really nice.

Attachments

• Stereo Mod in 10B.JPG
    Stereo Mod in 10B.JPG
    389.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_40.png
    Screenshot_40.png
    90.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

hongkongfoufou

Mar 3, 2018
I have a old tuner Tag Mc Laren T32R..

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I suggest Yamaj CT 7000. Enough features for grabbing signals from the atmosphere.Discontinurd but available used.
It does beg the questionuse Tidal and.create your own radio station

Last edited:

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
I am in the UK where we are blessed with the BBC and their very high quality FM output
I listen extensively to their classical station Radio 3. The programming is excellent along with knowledgeable presenters, A lot recordings and concerts from other European stations and on Saturdays regular opera performances from the New York Met.
I have the MD 109 tuner which has been upgraded with Phillips Nos 6922 valves and it sounds superb benefitting also from a large top class roof mounted FM aerial,
I have not heard the Day Sequerra and Marantx 10Bs. I did consider both but decided against because of the tiny number of people able to service them when something goes wrong or just wears out. Prior to the 109 I had a 108 which was also very good.
My system is also heavily invested in Entreq grounding and cables which gives me a a complete absence of unwanted noise on all my sources including the 109.

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
For those who have Magnum Dynalab MD108T or 109T, I recommend a Signature upgrade. I did this years ago when it became available and it was one of the most rewarding upgrades I did in hi-fi. You don’t get only new TRACC Mk2 board, the power supply board is also completely new, only transformers stay the same.

MD 108T
809wifiradioinside.jpeg

TRACC MK2
P1060316.jpeg

New power supply board
P1060317.jpeg

A year or two ago I bypassed capacitors on the TRACC board with Duelund caps and improvements were also very positive.

4b112271-9528-4717-a08c-b170c4723b8a.jpeg

84ec3989-4767-46a2-8f44-cb5f53cf9e0f.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Ed.P

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
there are nicer tuners from looks ,when the wega lab zero came onto the market in 1978 it represented what was technically feasible and it still does today.
His excellent chamber design and VHF receiver with 10-turn variable capacitor tuning helped it to become the olympus of tuners. where it beats all is channel separation. you can hear the smallest detail of the soundstage and where the instrument is positioned. I use it very rarely because my landlord has forbidden me to put a large antenna on the house roof. Unfortunately, cable tv/radio loses some of the quality. only 200 pieces are made. Wega_Lab_Zero_Tuner-1.jpg 9772538033_4f0bda8db3_b.jpg Wega_Lab_Zero_Tuner-2.jpg

Ed.P

Mar 12, 2018
My two McIntosh tuners.

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
A bit late to this thread but I still use a tuner ever day, nothing fancy just an ION FMT 1 with a roof mounted Ariel and it does a very good job. Like Barry2013 already said, we are very lucky to still have very good FM stations in UK mainly the BBC's 2, 3, 4.

ION FMT 1.jpeg

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Scott 350 is amazing I have one that looks like it was almost born yesterday.

I did a tuner thing a while back and the further in history I went back the better things got sonically. Literally. I bought different highly rated examples from each decade.

Look for the best 1963 multiplexing valve/tube tuners you can find and you will be at the pinnacle of sound quality providing you an find examples that still work as intended or can get them back to spec.

Don't mess around here if you want the best sonics. Buy the best old tube tuners you can find and make sure you spend some money and time rolling and getting them serviced.

Ignoring this advice won't get you the best sonics IMHO. The bench might like it, but the ears won't.

If you are not into SQ but just want amazing ability to pick up weak stations on FM then the best mid 70s Sansui tuners are really good at doing just that.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Scott 350 is amazing I have one that looks like it was almost born yesterday.

I did a tuner thing a while back and the further in history I went back the better things got sonically. Literally. I bought different highly rated examples from each decade.

Look for the best 1963 multiplexing valve/tube tuners you can find and you will be at the pinnacle of sound quality providing you an find examples that still work as intended or can get them back to spec.

Don't mess around here if you want the best sonics. Buy the best old tube tuners you can find and make sure you spend some money and time rolling and getting them serviced.

Ignoring this advice won't get you the best sonics IMHO. The bench might like it, but the ears won't.

If you are not into SQ but just want amazing ability to pick up weak stations on FM then the best mid 70s Sansui tuners are really good at doing just that.
Any photos you could share with us?

Paul49720

Oct 7, 2020
London
Late to this thread, live broadcast music via BBC Radio 3 is a great pleasure, and if one lived in Dover, England, you'd enjoy Radio France Musique also, (even better programming), and when in France, of course, too. The sound quality is special ---nearly as good as LP Playback with Abbas valve Phono stage--- with excellent dynamics, air and space through my serviced** Marantz 10b, recently bought from a collector in the USA.

My wonderful sounding Leak Trough Line with a 1st generation decoder from GT Audio presents a somewhat smaller scale of sound (the transformer probably weighs 1/4 that of the Marantz), and my unserviced Quad FM3 also sounds fabulously real, as does my Meridian 104 tuner.

It seems analogue FM broadcast signal will stay for some years to come in the UK, until they work out a digi-alternative that would bring good quality FM signal to cars in the outer reaches of the isle.

**on instructions from the designer, the late Sid Smith, with unused original optocoupler replacement, specific cap upgrades and more.

Attachments

• IMG_1931.jpg
    IMG_1931.jpg
    598.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1942.jpg
    IMG_1942.jpg
    938.5 KB · Views: 11

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Late to this thread, live broadcast music via BBC Radio 3 is a great pleasure, and if one lived in Dover, England, you'd enjoy Radio France Musique also, (even better programming), and when in France, of course, too. The sound quality is special ---nearly as good as LP Playback with Abbas valve Phono stage--- with excellent dynamics, air and space through my serviced** Marantz 10b, recently bought from a collector in the USA.

My wonderful sounding Leak Trough Line with a 1st generation decoder from GT Audio presents a somewhat smaller scale of sound (the transformer probably weighs 1/4 that of the Marantz), and my unserviced Quad FM3 also sounds fabulously real, as does my Meridian 104 tuner.

It seems analogue FM broadcast signal will stay for some years to come in the UK, until they work out a digi-alternative that would bring good quality FM signal to cars in the outer reaches of the isle.

**on instructions from the designer, the late Sid Smith, with unused original optocoupler replacement, specific cap upgrades and more.
Interesting Paul49720,

What is your view on FM in the UK? I have always hesitated to put something into a great tuner, like a Magnum Dynalab, because of the constant 'threat' to shut it all down in 5 years. I have not kept up with the latest...is there a revised end date to FM?

Chop

Aug 9, 2020
England
Interesting Paul49720,

What is your view on FM in the UK? I have always hesitated to put something into a great tuner, like a Magnum Dynalab, because of the constant 'threat' to shut it all down in 5 years. I have not kept up with the latest...is there a revised end date to FM?
I believe the powers that be have been saying "we close it down in 5 years" for about the last 30 years... I suspect it will see me out.

Paul49720

Oct 7, 2020
London
Interesting Paul49720,

The UK Government's hard working public service mandarins assert (web search -"fm switch off UK" )

"Other recommendations include that there should be no mandated switch-off of analogue radio until at least 2030 - meaning that FM radio broadcasts can continue for at least another decade so the elderly, vulnerable and people in remote communities can access essential news and entertainment".

Paul49720

Oct 7, 2020
London
I believe the powers that be have been saying "we close it down in 5 years" for about the last 30 years... I suspect it will see me out.
yes, me too...... this country does like to muddle through, sometimes it works out, and well, ...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing