Which DAC to go for ?

• C1 + T1(GPS) + X1

• C1 Mono (without T1 and X1)

• MSB Reference

• Nagra HD DAC X

Results are only viewable after voting.

Emerald

Jul 13, 2017
Going from last question to first, I would...

A. Go for C1 with Ethernet card. Streaming via ethernet sounds better to me than streaming through my W20 via USB. You will require an android device and the CH App. being a gadget guy the App is a must anyway since it will allow you to adjust settings of all your CH gear from the best seat in the house. I know of no other brand that allows a user to do this.

B. I am waiting for the new transport and will consider adding the T1 when the transport becomes available. The question is, do you have a transport or streamer with external clocking capabilities at the moment? If not save the T1 for then.

C. At least in terms of the 1 series, my L1 became available last. The L1 certainly increased transparency, dynamics and soundstage size so my suggestion would be to go for the L1 first. A C1 can be added onto later to become a C1 Mono as you know. The X1 is highly recommended as well.

To sum it up my recommendation is C1 with all board options except Analog Input board, L1, dual output X1, M1.1 to start given budget considerations.
I spoke to Florian about streaming board and we concluded that separating the streaming functionality was the better option for the DAC to perform at its best. So i went ahead and purchased a Taiko Extreme. The problem is that Taiko's best digital out is it's USB, negating the benefits of a world class master clock like T1.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
There you go :)

I just inherited a huge box of SACDs and I am waiting for the next production batch for the D1s. I am seriously considering the T1. Only downside given my situation is that since the music room is subterranean I have no way to rout the GPS antenna :(

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

I just inherited a huge box of SACDs and I am waiting for the next production batch for the D1s. I am seriously considering the T1. Only downside given my situation is that since the music room is subterranean I have no way to rout the GPS antenna :(
Can you snake it through your HVAC duct?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I don't think so Lloyd :(

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Well...it was a thought since that ductwork must lead outside at some point, and its all hidden away so you wouldnt see any wires.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I Don't want to hijack the thread but I did think about it too. I have a fresh air intake that I should be able to snake it through however it is unclear to me how I get it past the air handling units which are modded cassette types. Also I'd need to go in and up through one of the acoustic false walls which might affect the integrity. Anyhow I figure the clock's satellite link is gravy and the meat is in the clock itself. Speaking with Thierry in Tokyo a few years back he told me that the addition of the T1 is in the addition of the X1 ballpark. Improvements he said are most observable in bass texture.

You know I'm a stickler for THAT! LOL

We'll see...... hopefully sooner than later :)

Emerald

Jul 13, 2017
I Don't want to hijack the thread but I did think about it too. I have a fresh air intake that I should be able to snake it through however it is unclear to me how I get it past the air handling units which are modded cassette types. Also I'd need to go in and up through one of the acoustic false walls which might affect the integrity. Anyhow I figure the clock's satellite link is gravy and the meat is in the clock itself. Speaking with Thierry in Tokyo a few years back he told me that the addition of the T1 is in the addition of the X1 ballpark. Improvements he said are most observable in bass texture.

You know I'm a stickler for THAT! LOL

We'll see...... hopefully sooner than later :)
Well as you can see, i sacrificed L1 for the T1 with GPS. Going from nothing ($10k integrated amps) to this level of refinement is something i am yet to witness when it arrives in a week or two.

Of course L1 is great and such, but i want the absolute extreme in digital frontend completed before i worry about tonality, speaker matching and cables.

I am also working with Vicoustics to design the panel placement across the 269sqft dedicated room.

This is all a blind purchase, talk about crazy.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
It's all about fun in the end right? :)

I flew to Tokyo to hear CH in action at IASJ. The C1 fronted the debut of Viola's then new electronics range. I went all in soon after. The CH gentlemen have been a dream to work with just like their products are a dream to use. I wish you many years of enjoyment :)

zbub

Jun 27, 2013

C1 is already quite heavy, but a D1 is a lot heavier still!!!
Curious why wait for the new drive? If a D1 is available with the Esoteric transport right now, why not enjoy that first? And it will be many many years before the transport fails anyway.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Sold out. Waiting for the next production run.

Bogan88

Aug 11, 2020
Thank you for the recommendation of L1. It is definitely my next purchase from CH.

I've placed order a week ago for C1, T1 (gps), X1 (1 out) and a M1.1. This is my first purchase of separates since my last amps were Naim and Devialet integrated back in 2018. I hope you understand the big jump i've made as a blind purchase.

This is why i feel no value or realization of a proper preamp L1 or others until i hear it. There is no proper dealer (with demos) in Dubai for Swiss or European electronics. I could have gone with Nagra/Goldmund as my friends suggested. However, reading through pages and pages here and in other high end debates and comparisons, it became clear that CH is a favored option to a wide margin of audiophiles.

I am still not finalized on speakers, the hunt continues :)
Congrats. I had the EXACT combo of C1+T1+X1+M1.1 too. the transparency and detail will blow you away

the CH was so good Irecently upgraded to M10 (stereo). which lifted it into the stratosphere :)

for M1.1, remember to put a good power cord in BOTH 15A and 20A. not just 20A.
and also leave it on most of the time. it needs to be warm

I didnt order the GPS option as I am in a basement with thick concrete slabs so no reception, but T1 (standard) still did more to my system than the X1 did.

It will be amazing w the Taiko. but agree about USB connection...
I am using Pachanko top the line server and it's AMAZING too.

Reactions: Emerald

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
...and also leave it on most of the time. it needs to be warm
Maybe CHP could sell a suitable electric blanket (maybe even with a thermostat :eek: ) as an official accessory :D
But then that blanket would probably cost around 20k :p

Jambo

Apr 15, 2015
Australia

Hi JackD201,

Not sure if you know this or not, but CH can supply an external gps antenna if you are in a basement or have very low gps signal levels. So all you need to route only the cable from your listening to outside. I found this out very recently when I though I may have gps signal problems. CH have supplied external antennas to their customers who‘s system is in the basements. Talk to CH if you want to know more.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Congrats. I had the EXACT combo of C1+T1+X1+M1.1 too. the transparency and detail will blow you away

the CH was so good Irecently upgraded to M10 (stereo). which lifted it into the stratosphere :)...
Congrats! I have heard universally great things about the L10/M10 series.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi JackD201,

Not sure if you know this or not, but CH can supply an external gps antenna if you are in a basement or have very low gps signal levels. So all you need to route only the cable from your listening to outside. I found this out very recently when I though I may have gps signal problems. CH have supplied external antennas to their customers who‘s system is in the basements. Talk to CH if you want to know more.
Thanks Jambo :) My problem is routing the antenna cable from the basement to the outside world :(

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing