Can digital get to vinyl sound and at what price?

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
During my n studio experiences, the digital playback sounds identical to the live mic feed. With my new pre amp I am hearing incredible amounts of detail in all of my digital recordings along with wonderful tone.

Yes, the sheer resolution of fine detail by the Yggdrasil LIM DAC is just extraordinary, and the tone is great.

Reactions: Another Johnson

wil

Jul 22, 2015
I have heard the best digital currently available. It doesn't even come close to the best analog playback!
Re the above: don’t believe everything you read on the Internet, especially when it comes from self-proclaimed expert’s!

SoundMann

Jun 29, 2022
Re the above: don’t believe everything you read on the Internet, especially when it comes from self-proclaimed expert’s!

I hear better than all of you, I have been involved in more critical tests than all of you, and I have more experience in all fields of live sound and audio reproduction than all of you. 52 years of experience at the highest levels.

I have no need or desire to explain myself or prove myself to any of you.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
I hear better than all of you! Sure you do. gonna need more than that self serving declaration for me to believe that one.

SoundMann

Jun 29, 2022
I hear better than all of you! Sure you do. gonna need more than that self serving declaration for me to believe that one.

It's a scientific fact that those with the greatest intellects have the ability to hear and perceive the most.

I the Great Genius am the worlds greatest intellectual, and my hearing acuity is world renowned.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I hear better than all of you, I have been involved in more critical tests than all of you, and I have more experience in all fields of live sound and audio reproduction than all of you. 52 years of experience at the highest levels.

I have no need or desire to explain myself or prove myself to any of you.
you sir, have well earned an 'ignore'. have a nice day.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
It's a scientific fact that those with the greatest intellects have the ability to hear and perceive the most.

I the Great Genius am the worlds greatest intellectual, and my hearing acuity is world renowned.
And those with the greatest egos can't even see when they sound ridiculous ! ;)

SoundMann

Jun 29, 2022
And those with the greatest egos can't even see when they sound ridiculous ! ;)

I an just stating the facts sir. Different people are born with different strengths and weaknesses. I was born with a superior intellectual capacity, and I am blessed to have had as much experience in life as I have had.

It is a curse more than it is a blessing because most people treat me as a pariah. This makes me unique among the masses, not a monster, regardless of the way people tend to view me.

I really am a nice guy when people aren't testing my patience.

Reactions: Mcsnare

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I an just stating the facts sir. Different people are born with different strengths and weaknesses. I was born with a superior intellectual capacity, and I am blessed to have had as much experience in life as I have had.

It is a curse more than it is a blessing because most people treat me as a pariah. This makes me unique among the masses, not a monster, regardless of the way people tend to view me.

I really am a nice guy when people aren't testing my patience.

I bet you are not serious, and just try trolling us.

Reactions: Porsche

Mcsnare

Apr 1, 2022
www.instagram.com
Yeah I used to think the same as you but as I also like some digital playback, I discounted that theory.
I can’t prove it scientifically but I am a mastering engineer and have A/B’d the send to the lathe and the cut in real time. Trust me, it adds and changes things in a pleasing way.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I can’t prove it scientifically but I am a mastering engineer and have A/B’d the send to the lathe and the cut in real time. Trust me, it adds and changes things in a pleasing way.

You are basically saying the same thing as most recording and mastering engineers, so there is consistency here.

How exactly would you describe does vinyl add and change things in a more pleasant way, in terms of sonic result?

Reactions: wil

SoundMann

Jun 29, 2022

But that is the difference between making a pressing from a tape several generations away from the master, and a direct to disc pressing that is the most accurate to the source.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
It's a scientific fact that those with the greatest intellects have the ability to hear . . . the most.
Please post for us the scientific incontrovertible evidence of this.

(I wish we could put a monetary wager on this, as I'm quite confident that IQ and hearing ability are independent variables.)

Reactions: Rensselaer

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
And I can doa needle drop of the vinyl and capture all that sound. Personally, I want as close to the sound of the live mic feed as possible, but that’s me.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Reactions: abeidrov

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing