Can You Believe This-The Government Wants Us To Go EV but In So Doing They Will impose a gas surcharge

Peter, I think many ICE cars have that “Eco Mode.”

Some of the loaner Mercedes I was given when my car was in for service had that mode. I found it very annoying.

If I remember correctly it had to be manually deactivated every time I turned the car on. :rolleyes:

Steve, I don’t know anything about the Tesla Model X but I think the gull-wing doors are very cool!

good from far but far from good

Two observations ...
1. With EV no more voluntary departure from people running the car in the garage with an attachment from the exhaust pipe to the inside of the car and all windows closed. Hey, one less cause of premeditated exit.

2. Can you run the AC of an electric car while shopping and the babies are inside the car when outside the temperature is 100 degree Fahrenheit? I'm not saying it's a good idea but it can prevent the worst ...

@DaveC

yuu mentioned that using the heater in cold weather is hard on EV batteries. Would the same not hold true wrt using the air conditioner on very hot days

Range is less because of both the cold and heating the seats and cabin. Only an issue in areas that get bitter cold frequently though, but it needs to be taken into account as something like 10-20% less range is normal depending on how cold it is.

NorthStar, Teslas have dog mode to keep dogs cool, the screen is also active to let people know it's cooling the car for the dogs and not to break the windows. That is a nice feature.

Two observations ...
1. With EV no more voluntary departure from people running the car in the garage with an attachment from the exhaust pipe to the inside of the car and all windows closed. Hey, one less cause of premeditated exit.

2. Can you run the AC of an electric car while shopping and the babies are inside the car when outside the temperature is 100 degree Fahrenheit? I'm not saying it's a good idea but it can prevent the worst ...

I would never recommend the baby scenario (as especially as they should never be left alone anyway) nor would i recommend it for pets. You can imagine a scenario when Fido accidentally turns off the AC with his paw....

Reactions: Ron Resnick
I would never recommend the baby scenario (as especially as they should never be left alone anyway) nor would i recommend it for pets. You can imagine a scenario when Fido accidentally turns off the AC with his paw....

The car would contact you via smartphone.

Reactions: NorthStar
Teslas have dog mode to keep dogs cool, the screen is also active to let people know it's cooling the car for the dogs and not to break the windows. That is a nice feature

It is a nice feature. My son uses it with his dog

The other fun feature that Tesla has is "farting seats" if you want to have fun with people sitting in the car

Well, phones are no longer just phones, so cars will soon no longer be just cars. They will be entertainment center cocoons to isolate you from the world outside, to babysit your kids, to hold your pets, all while you do other things. Some see fun, cool, the experience. I see expense and complication. My two daughters don't even think about cars or express any interest in getting one. I think they see them as a hassle to own. They use uber, borrow our hand-me downs when home on vacation from school, or hitch rides from others. It will be interesting to see if they ever buy one.

Last edited:
Two observations ...

Yes, I do it all of the time. Keeps dog warm and cool as needed. Uses very little power. It is a good idea.

They are a hassle, but we'll see how long Uber can remain as is... (illegal scum bags, but we all love it)

I often pine for a super simple car with a modern engine that's the modern and easy to work on type... I kinda have that now since I can't let go of a car from 09 because low miles and love.

This week Tesla released its Q3 2019 delivery and production numbers. An email leaked from Elon Musk to employees claimed that Tesla had a chance to deliver 100,000 vehicles during the third quarter. It's now confirmed Tesla achieved a record production of 96,155 vehicles and recorded deliveries of 97,000 vehicles.

Here is the breakdown:
  • Model S/X: 16,318 produced, 17,400 delivered.
Model 3: 79,837 produced, 79,600 delivered.

Most popular car in Norway and Netherlands. Best selling in Germany for a while last year.

In my professional opinion, even with safeguards, i would never leave a pet in a car...

If you don't trust it, you use your cell phone to check on it. It gives the internal temp.

I know it's not a good idea; but that wasn't my point. My point was that even with bad ideas pets and children can be saved by EV ... as DaveC mentioned the great feature in Tesla cars.
So that's a good bonus for people who leave their pets or little ones in their cars during the very hot summer months. We know very well the possible harsh consequences with ICE cars, death.

But yes I agree with you; if we see pets or children inside cars, trucks when the temperature is super hot outside and unattended by adults, we should take the licence plate and take photos and report to the local police. A stiff fine will put people in line.

You do understand the observation I was making though ...

DaveC said:
NorthStar, Teslas have dog mode to keep dogs cool, the screen is also active to let people know it's cooling the car for the dogs and not to break the windows. That is a nice feature.

If you don't trust it, you use your cell phone to check on it. It gives the internal temp.
I understand where you are coming from but there is an inherent risk. The temperature can rise to lethal levels in minutes on a got day. I would not risk it however inconvenient. There are simply too many cases, albeit normally in normal vehicles where owners simply are unaware of the speed that heat can build up.

I know it's not a good idea; but that wasn't my point. My point was that even with bad ideas pets and children can be saved by EV ... as DaveC mentioned the great feature in Tesla cars.
So that's a good bonus for people who leave their pets or little ones in their cars during the very hot summer months. We know very well the harsh consequences...death.

But yes I agree with you; if we see pets or children inside cars, trucks when the temperature is super hot outside and unattended by adults, we should take the licence plate and take photos and report to the local police. A stiff fine will put people in line.

You do understand the observation I was making though ...
Yes of course and I applaud Tesla for the feature. However given my experience with Tesla gremlins...

This week Tesla released its Q3 2019 delivery and production numbers. An email leaked from Elon Musk to employees claimed that Tesla had a chance to deliver 100,000 vehicles during the third quarter. It's now confirmed Tesla achieved a record production of 96,155 vehicles and recorded deliveries of 97,000 vehicles.

Here is the breakdown:
  • Model S/X: 16,318 produced, 17,400 delivered.
Model 3: 79,837 produced, 79,600 delivered.

Most popular car in Norway and Netherlands. Best selling in Germany for a while last year.
My ffriend's UK Tesla 3 delivered with dents, huge panel gaps. Returned but the 'delivered' stats were ensured. 3 weeks later it was ready. Broke down on the highway going home!:p The Tesla is a fantastic idea just poorly executed and the quality of finishing etc is abominable compared to European makes which it competes with as a result of it's price.

It is a nice feature. My son uses it with his dog.

The other fun feature that Tesla has is "farting seats" if you want to have fun with people sitting in the car

1. It is a great feature for our dogs...cats...birds...tigers...
I didn't have any clue that you could do that with a Tesla, but I thought about it and asked.
So for that it's a big plus feature; not everyone can go shopping inside the malls with their dogs...I see many drivers who love having their pets with them...we all know that, we all have seen it.

2. The "farting seats" ... Steve, you are joking right? :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing