Can You Believe This-The Government Wants Us To Go EV but In So Doing They Will impose a gas surcharge

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Do these measured values account for the fact that the diesel will be running at every stop-light, every train crossing, every road construction and every stop sign, stop and go traffic, not to mention sitting all day long in the parking lot?

Are parked cars now also a problem? How is a diesel sitting all day long in the parking lot any different from any other ICE or EV sitting all day long in the parking lot? My truck sits all night long in my driveway.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Yes, it was most annoying in stop and go traffic. What does that constant turn off/turn on do to the starter motor?

With EV you don't have that issue.

* Switching on and off frequently your hi-fi stereo system takes a toll on the electronics.
So I assume the same with a car. But I don't know the studies on both.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Are parked cars now also a problem? How is a diesel sitting all day long in the parking lot any different from any other ICE or EV sitting all day long in the parking lot? My truck sits all night long in my driveway.

The diesel trucks are running. All day long.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Most new cars do this.

Agreed

The new Mercedes has this function which drives me nuts because when you come to a stop you can feel the engine go off and then push on the gas pedal and you'll feel the wake up to the motoer

As Al said there is a button to over ride this function

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Al
It's too bad they don't do this in the US. Backwards country IMO.

'auto idle stop' is needed to hit CAFE numbers for fuel economy with current emissions regulations. it can be temporarily turned off but not legally defeated.

write your Congressman if you don't like it. or invent cold fusion (or some such magical tech break thru). them are the choices. your elected officials decided this is what you want and need.....at least indirectly based on current tech....and market realities.

Last edited:

Steve Williams

I hate that feature...disengaged.

I have to admit that when I have a loaner car while mine is being serviced I also override the feature because when you slow and come to a stop it feels as if the engine is idling too slowly and is going to stall. Similarly when you step on the gas pedal to go the car shakes a bit as it wakes up the motor

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I have to admit that when I have a loaner car while mine is being serviced I also override the feature because when you slow and come to a stop it feels as if the engine is idling too slowly and is going to stall. Similarly when you step on the gas pedal to go the car shakes a bit as it wakes up the motor

one could make the case of a bit of being selectively green with your actions.

not singling you out here Steve, as i think that pretty much includes everyone. we pick and choose just what we will put up with and maybe who is watching.....and what they might think.

which is why trying to predict how Tesla will do going forward is such a crap shoot. people do things for wildly varying reasons.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Al

'auto idle stop' is needed to hit CAFE numbers for fuel economy with current emissions regulations. it can be temporarily turned off but not legally defeated.

write your Congressman if you don't like it. or invent cold fusion (or some such magical tech break thru). them are the choices. your elected officials decided this is what you want and need.....at least indirectly based on current tech....and market realities.

I send emails to my congressmen every week, and I publish columns for local newspapers.

One feature that I believe should be outlawed immediately is remote start. This is the WORST THING that could happen for Global Warming. Bad for engines too.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
One feature that I believe should be outlawed immediately is remote start. This is the WORST THING that could happen for Global Warming. Bad for engines too.

ever lived in North Dakota, Minnesota or Maine?

you can't safely operate a vehicle until you can see out, or maybe even open the doors until it's warmer. then there are young children, and wives, to think about. people warmed cars up prior to remote start. it was just more dangerous and difficult.

or maybe we either don't live in those places or ski and snowshoe. we do know that a Tesla is a door stop in those situations. it's range is a fraction of what it is typically. so that is not an option.

Last edited:
Reactions: mallen123

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I remember as a kid living in Quebec, during winter cold days Dad's car was plugged all night to keep the engine warm and not cracking from freezing. Then before leaving to work he'd go outside and start his car, then clear the snow from it. Then he'll come back inside the house to get warm and wait for the car to warm up. No car garage for Dad, ever. We're talking very cold.

Electric cars, can they handle those situations?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Last edited:

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
ever lived in North Dakota, Minnesota or Maine?

you can't safely operate a vehicle until you can see out, or maybe even open the doors until it's warmer. then there are young children, and wives, to think about. people warmed cars up prior to remote start. it was just more dangerous and difficult.

or maybe we either don't live in those places or ski and snowshoe. we do know that a Tesla is a door stop in those situations. it's range is a fraction of what it is typically. so that is not an option.

First, if you live in Minn., you plug your car in overnight, you don't leave it running. No reason to leave it running if no one is in the car. If people are in the car, no reason to leave it running unless extreme temperatures.

Second, Tesla is by far the best snow car I have even owned and I am a skier. We occasionally get 3-4 feet of snow here. 4-wheel SUVs and jeeps go off the road behind me trying to follow. In winter, my usual grocery trip that takes 90 miles takes 100 miles of charge. No huge difference.

Reactions: NorthStar

Steve Williams

one could make the case of a bit of being selectively green with your actions.

not singling you out here Steve, as i think that pretty much includes everyone. we pick and choose just what we will put up with and maybe who is watching.....and what they might think.

which is why trying to predict how Tesla will do going forward is such a crap shoot. people do things for wildly varying reasons.

For that option yes, I totally agree Mike.In fact when I put up the post I thought the same thing, but truly it drives me nuts. Its disabled for no more than 30 seconds and it is a loaner car so I would say that under the circumstances I could disable the function for the short time I was stopped

It drives me nuts when I feel the car shakes when I slow down

It doesn't happen in an EV BTW Mike ;)

I filled my car up yesterday and gasped as it was just under $100.I'm looking forward to battery improvement and once done I'll take my exit plan as I have discussed here because my car will be fueled entirely by the sun which by all accounts is still free

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
The diesel trucks are running. All day long.

Sadly it’s perpetuated by myths. They think it uses less fuel, or it’s better for the engine. Neither are true. The only truth is if they’ve been pulling a load then idling for 15-25minutes is necessary after stopping to prevent damage to the turbo. The only other exception is when its very cold out and they have to be on for heat. That one is two fold, heat for the passenger, and to make sure the engine isn’t so cold it won’t start.

But everyone believes they should be left on forever... old myths.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
First, if you live in Minn., you plug your car in overnight, you don't leave it running. No reason to leave it running if no one is in the car. If people are in the car, no reason to leave it running unless extreme temperatures.

not everyone has a block heater in Minnesota....some do. i was born in St. Paul. they have 3+ months of frequent extreme temperatures. not every winter, but most winters.

but a block heater does not clear the windows, or unfreeze the door jams, or warm the interior. it's just means the engine block did not crack.

Second, Tesla is by far the best snow car I have even owned and I am a skier. We occasionally get 3-4 feet of snow here. 4-wheel SUVs and jeeps go off the road behind me trying to follow. In winter, my usual grocery trip that takes 90 miles takes 100 miles of charge. No huge difference.

you live in the Oregon mountains, i live in the Washington mountains 300 miles north of you. neither of us see anything like the upper mid-west or other iceberg spots over our typical winter months.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Door locks completely frozen, I've been through that.
Seats so cold might as well stay home, in bed.
Ice so thick on the windshield that you need a hammer and screwdriver.
So much snow in the driveway that you need to wake up in the middle of the night to shovel.
...If you want to make it @ work by leaving @ 8:00 AM in the morning, and a helping hand before from the three boys getting ready for school.

Not everyone has a car garage and lives in California with a nice temperature year round.
Tesla is perfect (EV) for California.

And it's fine too if you live in a condo in Northern Quebec with an underground garage to plug your Tesla.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Door locks completely frozen, I've been through that.
Seats so cold might as well stay home, in bed.
Ice so thick on the windshield that you need a hammer and screwdriver.

Simple solution to all of this. It's called a garage.

So much snow in the driveway that you need to wake up in the middle of the night to shovel.

Snowthrower takes care of that.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing