Center Stage 2

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Many thanks for your test and your reply, that's what I thought.
I've got a set of CS2 1.0 for testing purposes recently. Unfortunately the dealer couldn't tell me if my Symposium rack and platform could be a problem. I put the CS2 feet on my Quantum platform in exchange of my Rollerblocks, because I wanted a direct comparison against the Rollerblocks.
Immediately after the insertion it was really a revelation with a deep and wonderful natural soundstage with superb layering.
But as you know the slow settling kicked in and I waited 10 days to give them a serious listening. Interestingly the extreme deep soundstage and layering from the first try was gone, it then was similar to the Rollerblocks. Still it was quite good, but a little bit soft and not what I've expected. I had to return them after 14 days, therefore I couldn't do more tests.
Please don't get me wrong, I'm still very interested in the CS2 feet. I'm looking forward to do a second test run if it's ok with my dealer. My own subjective experience just proves Joe's recommendation to remove everything else.
With the Rollerblock Jr, you won't experience the flattening of previous soundstage depth. This affect on the soundstage seems to be related to damping or absorbing. The Rollerblocks perform a combination of coupling and absorbing/dissipating. Rollerblock Jr's don't have any absorbing material. I experienced a similar result with CS2 in my system to what you've described, but directly on my rack, not Symposium platforms.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
With the Rollerblock Jr, you won't experience the flattening of previous soundstage depth. This affect on the soundstage seems to be related to damping or absorbing. The Rollerblocks perform a combination of coupling and absorbing/dissipating. Rollerblock Jr's don't have any absorbing material. I experienced a similar result with CS2 in my system to what you've described, but directly on my rack, not Symposium platforms.
FWIW Center Stage does NOT cause flattening of the soundstage but rather a very believable immersive effect abnd if you use his speaker feet the immersive effect is so huge that you become part of the soundstage. IOW a you are there feeling

micro13

Jun 15, 2020
the short answer is definitely. You might be quite shocked
Thanks for your short but meaningful answer, Steve. Then I'll try them directly on the floor with my amps and report my findings.
Would you also suggest that it's better to use the CS2 on an ordinary board or table instead of the Symposium ISIS rack?

micro13

Jun 15, 2020
Sorry, I didn't mean that the Rollerblocks flatten the soundstage, It's just that right after inserting the CS2 under my pre-Dac, the soundstage got deeper and better layered. After ten days of settlement this extreme deep and layered soundstage was gone but still very good at the level I knew from my own system with Rollerblocks.
I'm using Rollerblocks for years and I'm still happy with them. But I think the CS2 could be better when used appropriate. Let's see, I'll try to get another set for proper testing.

Solecky

Nov 30, 2020
I have CS2s under all my equipment for a little while now (6 weeks plus), recently my sound became diffuse, less focused and the noise floor went up I am losing details that used to emerge so clearly. The only thing I can try to explain it with is that on Monday I noticed 2 of the 4 CS2s under under each mono amp were not touching flat bottom but a perforated section at the bottom of the amps, it is possible the CS2s are re-settling causing the sound issues mentioned? If yes how long to resetttle?

Steve Williams

I have CS2s under all my equipment for a little while now (6 weeks plus), recently my sound became diffuse, less focused and the noise floor went up I am losing details that used to emerge so clearly. The only thing I can try to explain it with is that on Monday I noticed 2 of the 4 CS2s under under each mono amp were not touching flat bottom but a perforated section at the bottom of the amps, it is possible the CS2s are re-settling causing the sound issues mentioned? If yes how long to resetttle?
I am only just seeing this. My simple answer is that the problems that resulted almost certainly were as a result of improper placement of 2 of the four feet. You need to reposition those 2 feet

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Steve

The bottom of the Extreme is perforated Where do u place the 1.5"s ?

joelavrencik

Industry Expert
Nov 15, 2016
Chicago
www.criticalmasssystems.com
Thanks for your short but meaningful answer, Steve. Then I'll try them directly on the floor with my amps and report my findings.
Would you also suggest that it's better to use the CS2 on an ordinary board or table instead of the Symposium ISIS rack?
Hi micro 13

I have a suggestion: fold the silk bag each foot comes with into a small square and place it under each foot. The bag would work as buffer between the large metal surface and the foot.

If you're up for trying this, please let me know how the experiment turns out.

Thanks!

Joe

joelavrencik

Industry Expert
Nov 15, 2016
Chicago
Hi Bazello

May I ask what is the rack you are using and the component you tried CS2 with.

Thank you

Joe

joelavrencik

Industry Expert
Nov 15, 2016
Chicago
Hi micro 13

I checked out the Symposium website. Let me say they are a long respected company which produces high quality products. Having said this, our companies use different materials in our construction processes and I think therein lies the reason for the performance issue you are experiencing. In my experience, CS2 products are not compatible with suspended stainless steel shelves.

Again, Symposium is a fine company. We simply differ in approach and results. In order to experience the performance potential of CS2 you would need a buffer between the SS rack shelves and the aluminum feet. Folding the silk bags the CS2 come with and slotting them under the CS2 feet should work, I think. I wish it were not the case, but I don't know of any way around it.

I sincerely hope this helps.

All the Best

Joe

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Hi Bazello

May I ask what is the rack you are using and the component you tried CS2 with.

Thank you

Joe
Joe, sure:

Rack: An in-wall installation permanently secured to wall studs. Constructed of high grade voidless 1.5" plywood. It's either birch or apple ply; I don't recall now.

CS2 usages: under a tube phono, under its tube rectified psu, under a silver AVC, and finally under a Dartzeel amplifier.

joelavrencik

Industry Expert
Nov 15, 2016
Chicago
Joe, sure:

Rack: An in-wall installation permanently secured to wall studs. Constructed of high grade voidless 1.5" plywood. It's either birch or apple ply; I don't recall now.

CS2 usages: under a tube phono, under its tube rectified psu, under a silver AVC, and finally under a Dartzeel amplifier.
Thank you!

Solecky

Nov 30, 2020
I am only just seeing this. My simple answer is that the problems that resulted almost certainly were as a result of improper placement of 2 of the four feet. You need to reposition those 2 feet
Just wanted to let all know that the CS2s how now resettled and the sound is amazing, better than before. It seems it is quite important to have a flat interface for the top of the CS2 to couple to for optimal performance .

Steve Williams

Just wanted to let all know that the CS2s how now resettled and the sound is amazing, better than before. It seems it is quite important to have a flat interface for the top of the CS2 to couple to for optimal performance .
I love reading users' first impressions when they first experience their system after Center Stage has settled as it seems we ae all drinking the same Kool Aid
Enjoy....they are very special additions to any system

Solecky

Nov 30, 2020
I love reading users' first impressions when they first experience their system after Center Stage has settled as it seems we ae all drinking the same Kool Aid
Enjoy....they are very special additions to any system
Yep very impressed, the last component to place CS2s is under my Shunyata Everest power conditioner

Steve Williams

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
IMG_7062.JPG
Um not really. Perforations everywhere

Front of Extreme is on left

Front of Extreme is on left

Solecky

Nov 30, 2020

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing