CES 2013: Genesis Room with TechDAS Air Force One and Vertere Reference Tonearm

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Well, you walk into a thread after not reading for a few weeks and what do you find? For the very first time anywhere, Amir has declared himself more informed than any of the thousands of very satisfied customers and a bunch of reviwers; namely, that my 20 years of effort in tonearm design is trash, barely better than digital.
Bob, you got it all wrong. It was all a joke what I wrote the first page. I am not an LP guy and wouldn't know a good tonearm from a bad one to save my life. Here is the pertinent part again:

Seriously guys [at the risk of stating the obvious: the above was a joke], subjectively in the demo Gary did, it did sound better. The dynamics were improved.

Sorry I created the wrong impression. I think everyone here got it the right way.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Bob, you got it all wrong. It was all a joke what I wrote the first page. I am not an LP guy and wouldn't know a good tonearm from a bad one to save my life. Here is the pertinent part again:
Sorry I created the wrong impression. I think everyone here got it the right way.

Amir,
I told you in post #21 - the joke was too well written and could be convincing! :eek:
http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?9362-CES-2013-Genessis-Room-with-TechDAS-Air-Force-One-and-Vertere-Reference-Tonearm&p=167191&viewfull=1#post167191

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
-- This is the Internet! ...If you don't read the full content of the post, and even the entire discussion, you could be doomed for a big misunderstanding. ...Again, the proof's right here.

I've seen this happened more often than not. ...People simply don't take the time to read the full posts.
And others cannot decipher the humor, or they simply cannot accept it.
And you have that 'ego' feeling by others who love to build their hatred based on wrong judgements. ...And false accusations start to rain, and they say you are a liar, a criminal of the worst kind, and you don't deserve to be on the Internet! It is amazing how shortminded some people are, but it is a reality.

If only people would take the time to read and understand what other people are saying ....

And if they don't understand, just ask them. And if it goes against your own beliefs respect them; they have a right too to their own opinions.

Sometimes in life you have to restart fresh. Just do it; it's good for you, and it's good for everyone else too.

* Mister Bob Graham, you can be assured that no one negated in any which way possible your great tonearm.
That, I can guarantee.

Amir just showed you very clearly above. ...And all of us we knew that it was his very sharp and great sense of humor based on several good readings from this site here, WBF, mixed with his true vibrating 'chords'; the true him, his source, his true essence.

Bob, we are extremely happy to have you here among all of us; you are a legend, and a master at what you do.

Very best regards,
Bob

Last edited:

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Bruce, please take this in context. The Graham is a very good arm. The Vertere is a LOT more expensive and is a game-changer.

That Graham on your table looks like the supreme, not the elite. Properly setup, the Graham Supreme is one of the best at any price. Sounds like the setup of the Graham was not optimal....whether it be aligning, cart loading or the damping trough level.... or a combination of all factors. Few vinyl details escape that arm properly setup, I can assure you. I use a mint LP arc protractor. Much more accurate than the Graham jigs which quite frankly leaves alot of room for error.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Amir,
I told you in post #21 - the joke was too well written and could be convincing! :eek:
http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...erence-Tonearm&p=167191&viewfull=1#post167191

I think people who have a very very dry sense of humor [and I include myself here] MUST be sure to use some sort of emoticons in those circumstances lest their intentions be misunderstood.

When you read a forum post, there is no other way to tell a statement is being made with a smile without them.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I'll take that crappy old Graham off of you for a hundred smackeroonies! Can't beat that for digital.

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China
I think people who have a very very dry sense of humor [and I include myself here] MUST be sure to use some sort of emoticons in those circumstances lest their intentions be misunderstood.

I simply must disagree here for the simple reason that to destroy the ambiguity is to destroy the joke. I really liked that Amir kept the suspense going until the next paragraph. I say this as one whose SOH is probably darker than most, and probably for this reason I'm eager that people are able to preserve the necessary ambiguity in order for the subjective effect not to be softened :cool:

If nobody ever falls for a joke then all the jokes on WBF are going to be sub-optimal ones.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
That Graham on your table looks like the supreme, not the elite. Properly setup, the Graham Supreme is one of the best at any price. Sounds like the setup of the Graham was not optimal....whether it be aligning, cart loading or the damping trough level.... or a combination of all factors. Few vinyl details escape that arm properly setup, I can assure you. I use a mint LP arc protractor. Much more accurate than the Graham jigs which quite frankly leaves alot of room for error.

I know what you mean re the Graham alignment jig. It could be better. I also have the Mint LP tractor.

However with a combo magnifine glass/light I can get the Graham jig to align xtremely well when leaning over directly above the cantilever/stylus - easier with tall carts like the dyna XV-1s.
Now that I have worked out how to align the Graham using his jig I prefer it to Yip's Baerwald alignment on the Mint LP. Graham, like VPI from everything I have read uses his own alignment - similar to Stevenson but still different.

cheers

Last edited:

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I understood that Graham uses his own alignment, and I did use the Graham jigs. They get you pretty close, and then I use a USB microscope to do fine adjustment. I'll also re-confirm by ear (o'scope if it's handy) with both the Hifi News and the Analogue Productions test records.

Instead of using the bubble level on the arm, I use the USB microscope to confirm SRA.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I know what you mean re the Graham alignment jig. It could be better. I also have the Mint LP tractor.

However with a combo magnifine glass/light I can get the Graham jig to align xtremely well when leaning over directly above the cantilever/stylus - easier with tall carts like the dyna XV-1s.
Now that I have worked out how to align the Graham using his jig I prefer it to Yip's Baerwald alignment on the Mint LP. Graham, like VPI from everything I have read uses his own alignment - similar to Stevenson but still different.

cheers

The key with the Mint is to get the spindle to pivot distance correct. With the 10" Yip uses a distance of 231mm, the Graham spec is 229.4...a 1.6mm difference. Because of this, when using the Mint, you cannot use Graham's spindle cup to headshell technique as it would be off for Yip's measurements. The way I do it is to use a Feikert jig with the nail on the end of the arm. I dial in 231mm on the Fiekert and plunge the nail into the damping trough in the detent where the bearing sits in order to set the distance correctly. I may try the Graham technique as it would make aligning a Koetsu much easier as th cantilever is so far back on the cart in addition to it siting very low, which makes the Mint more difficult to use with that style of cart.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I simply must disagree here for the simple reason that to destroy the ambiguity is to destroy the joke. I really liked that Amir kept the suspense going until the next paragraph. I say this as one whose SOH is probably darker than most, and probably for this reason I'm eager that people are able to preserve the necessary ambiguity in order for the subjective effect not to be softened :cool:

If nobody ever falls for a joke then all the jokes on WBF are going to be sub-optimal ones.

While I agree with what you say, you need to be prepared for a few hurt feelings or angry people who didn't get it.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
From what I understand you need to use an aftermarket protractor on the 12" and 10" Graham arms because the headshell is not at the correct offset angle for the longer wands. This is the only way to get the zenith right. An arc protractor like the Mint LP is ideal. There are a few accounts online of people not liking their 12" Graham until they finally got a Mint LP and got it setup right. Unless Bob Graham has solved this problem with the newer units I would use an aftermarket protractor.

Last edited:

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

When you read a forum post, there is no other way to tell a statement is being made with a smile without them.

Yes, but some people use smiley face emoticons to hide the daggers they are employing.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Well, you walk into a thread after not reading for a few weeks and what do you find? For the very first time anywhere, Amir has declared himself more informed than any of the thousands of very satisfied customers and a bunch of reviwers; namely, that my 20 years of effort in tonearm design is trash, barely better than digital.

Although Amir's sarcasm is getting better, I feel it's too direct and he needs a bit more schooling from someone who thrives in it. So for example, you can also reach that coveted $35K price range if you start including MIT wiring in your arms, and make sure they make an "Elite" version for you. :cool: Now that's making fun of the other arm by simply talking about yours and indirectly making references to mysterious, excessive and as of yet indeterminate manufacturing cost of ancillary parts, like that other arm. And I would also recommend providing a separate grounding wire in your top arms to directly plug into the wall - a world's first, so that people can experiment with the outlet's ground-hole orientation (up or down; oh you missed that thread!), and put a fuse somewhere (a whole other subject!).

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I saw on Peter Breuniger's video interview with Bob Graham that the Elite has Nordost Odin tonearm cable and internal wiring - so that should get it on the way to $35k. The Odin tonearm cable alone is $12k, and I'm sure that internal wiring would easily add another $12k to it. Plus Odin ground cable to directly plug into the wall with an included Supreme fuse with Quantum control, we'll have an arm that's $45k :D

Then I'll recommend that Touraj include a rare mercury tube rectifier for his cueing light and we'll have a $60k arm.

Let's the arms race begin :)

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY

The Phantom

Sep 6, 2012
I appreciate the clarification, Amir, and I did see the line following the "trash" paragraph. I also have a very dry sense of humor which sometimes goes awry. But you can (all) understand, I'm sure, that those of us who put evrything we have into a product which is our only source of living are also likely to be quite protective about our name and what's said about it.

From the beginning, and as the U.S. represenative of the Air Force One turntable, I had my own reservations about putting a second turntable on the more popular 29th floor; as it turns out, my concerns were not too far off, as most of the discussion of the AF-1 centers - so far, at least - on Gary's room, with nary a word about the lovely sonics that were eminating from the Lamm/Verity/Graham room on the 35th floor. And with a very different and improved tonearm to boot!

The setup in Gary's room is an unknown to me. While I'm sure he knows how to do it well, when a used arm is put into play, I like to make sure of several things, including of course cartridge alingment, the correct amount of damping fluid (very critical with the Supreme and earlier arms, much less so with the Elite) and another variablle which will make a huge difference in things: the output cable and the cartridge.

I still have no idea what output cable was used, and we all know what a difference a day AND an output cable can make. And of course, about someone claiming that his favored cable is the best, while the person to his left or right will claim just the opposite. It's the realization that I could make things better in this regard that let me to design a very new wire, and have had it made under license from Nordost. This is not just off-the-shelf Odin wire, as I had definite concepts and goals in mind when working this out, just as the wire in the $35k arm was his take on the best approach. So the pricing of the stock Nordost cables should not be taken as a literal jumping-off point for the Elite arm and it's new features...

Then there's the variable of two different cartridges. According to Gary, he has two different models, heavily modified (his emphasis), and so there are these other variables that are quite hard to predict. In fact, in my own testing, it's not enough to have two of the same cartidges; I've found that one tonearm sounded different from the other, and I was ready to assign it to some changes I was experimenting with - UNTIL I discovered that the second cartridge (same model and manufactuer, obviously)was just enough different to skew my results. No - for me, in any meaningful comparisons, it simplly must be the EXACT same cartridge. Properly aligned, of course.

(And for those comments about my alignment gauges, I have indeed updated the newest ones so that the target plate that rests on the stylus tip and cantilever is adjutable in height so that greater accuracy is assured. THe math was repeated many times to ensure accuracy, and I can promise you that these gauges will give you an accuracy that is as great as any off-arm protractor. And yes, we now have three different gauges for the 3 arm lengths of (nominally) 9,10 and 12-inch.

So, while I enjoy a good joke, you may perhaps undestand that in this competitive and economically challenged economy we all live in, a sensitive manufactuer may find potentially hurtful phrases tossed on on chatrooms like this can cause trouble.

It's also not a good idea, I think, to have two different designs of any product on exhibit on a demo room, as the inevitible comparison are likely to come forth, and if the conditions are not competely balanced (same wiring, same cartridge, etc.) in this case, then hurt feelings are bound to result. It would be the same as if a second turntable of high quality were used in the same room as the AF-1 (the Continuum,for instance). I doubt very much if Stella would be happy with that, nor if a pair of Wilson speakers were available for audition right next to the Verity, Vandersteen, Genesis,etc.

While the audiophile enthusiasm for comparison is always there, I sugeest that exhibit rooms at CES are NOT the place for ancillary products that are being promoted by another, non-competitive, manufactuer to be squared off in combat. Potentially incorrect assumptions and hurt feelings are likely to develop. Someone in this thread, or the other thread about the AF-1, made that observation, and I agree fully. Although I'm as much of a curious audiophile as any, and always am on the lookout for ways to make my products better (and to be aware of the good competiton around me) I would, myself, never engage in analyizng two different examples (especially of of a product I don't even make), and write about it on-line. Someone WILL become very pissed off, it's a guarantee...! That's the province of trained reviewers who, one hopes, have a lot of the variables closed off.

So, Amir, Gary, and others (who, I have noted with appreciation, have rushed to the defense of my work, even though the line was just a joke...), enjoy the hobby and by all means let's all go for the brass ring, but please try to remember the sensitivies of those who may have missed the punch line.

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I recall Lloyd Walker at RMAF 2010 voicing his concerns about the setup of his tt in another room. He was receiving negative feedback. His complaint -how could someone tell him how his tt should be setup or sound.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing