Ch precision...p1

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
I have a question; is there a difference in a newer say 2022 version of P1 compared to an older 2020, 2021 or older model. I have heard they changed boards, displays, etc. so newer versions are better. Please let me know. Thanks.
I believe (from an email reply from a representative of CH Precision in Nov last year) that a Q4 2019 built P1 hasn't changed regarding it's electronics etc. as I bought a one owner Nov 2019 build P1, Q4 of last year and was also wondering about this.

I think the only thing that has changed is the version of the CH Precision software (which you can upgrade for free via the ethernet connection on the P1) and the materials of the four supporting spiked rods.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I do believe the parts they use for the display have changed. For example, my L10 display is different than any of my other CH displays. I don't think this makes a sonic difference though.

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
I do believe the parts they use for the display have changed. For example, my L10 display is different than any of my other CH displays. I don't think this makes a sonic difference though.
Maybe 'MadFloyd' the display change is only for the CH '10' series ?

I remember reading a post from one of the WBF members i.e. ; 'https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/upgrading-from-p1-to-mono-p1-experience-tips.32036/' who had a friend that had bought two P1's at different times to run them together each in mono mode and noticed that some of the electronics were different i.e. 'Their main circuit boards got different capacitors !. One P1 got M-caps whereas the other P1 got Jb caps.'
Maybe it was because one of the P1's was a much older model (maybe 2016 / 2017 ???) and the other a more recent model (maybe 2019 onwards ?) !

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Maybe 'MadFloyd' the display change is only for the CH '10' series ?

I remember reading a post from one of the WBF members i.e. ; 'https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/upgrading-from-p1-to-mono-p1-experience-tips.32036/' who had a friend that had bought two P1's at different times to run them together each in mono mode and noticed that some of the electronics were different i.e. 'Their main circuit boards got different capacitors !. One P1 got M-caps whereas the other P1 got Jb caps.'
Maybe it was because one of the P1's was a much older model (maybe 2016 / 2017 ???) and the other a more recent model (maybe 2019 onwards ?) !
Just sent a post to the WBF member 'CKKeung' in the 'upgrading-from-p1-to-mono-p1-experience-tips.32036' thread asking if his friend knows what years the two P1's were built !

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
MadFloyd is right, display was updated on all CH Precision lines since ~2021.

Reactions: Bonesy Jonesy

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
What are the visual differences in the display between your L10 and your other CH unit's displays 'MadFloyd' ?

sig8

Jan 8, 2021
I got this response from one of the owners of CH Precision:

""Thanks for your inquiry. It is correct that the P1 display was updated for production units from June 2020, the units that were manufactured earlier had the 'old' display. Out of that, nothing has changed from day one in the P1: the audio path, the power supply, etc... Please note that any P1 can have its display updated if/when needed with the latest design."

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
I got this response from one of the owners of CH Precision:

""Thanks for your inquiry. It is correct that the P1 display was updated for production units from June 2020, the units that were manufactured earlier had the 'old' display. Out of that, nothing has changed from day one in the P1: the audio path, the power supply, etc... Please note that any P1 can have its display updated if/when needed with the latest design."
Thank you 'sig8' for the very important feedback from CH Precision regarding the P1. Very much appreciated.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
What are the visual differences in the display between your L10 and your other CH unit's displays 'MadFloyd' ?
I had noticed that it didn't respond to settings (brightness steps for example) in the same way as my L1 did. It's a subtle difference but noticeable.

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
I had noticed that it didn't respond to settings (brightness steps for example) in the same way as my L1 did. It's a subtle difference but noticeable.
Thank you 'MadFloyd' for your reply. Much appreciated.

Does the later / newer front panel display then have less settings that can be changed i.e. the brightness you mentioned as opposed to the older display ?

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Thank you 'MadFloyd' for your reply. Much appreciated.

Does the later / newer front panel display then have less settings that can be changed i.e. the brightness you mentioned as opposed to the older display ?
No, I don't think so. If I recall it was more a matter of slight visual differences in brightness & color at identical settings.

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Hey all you (lucky) WBF CH P1 Owners....wondered if anybody can help me make some decisions in what I should do next in my UK hifi system upgrade path journey i.e.;

- Buy a CH X1 first to go with my P1 ?
or
- Upgrade my MSL Eminent Ex cartridge first (instead of the X1) to say a MSL Gold Sig or Platinum Sig ?

I will end of having both of the above upgrades (hopefully by the end of this year).

As well as the two upgrades above, have been wondering if it is well worth the money to also buy the Kuzma Outer Ring Clamp & Kuzma Ebony Spindle Clamp / Weight for my XL DC first before buying either the X1 or upgraded MSL cartridge (whichever I buy first) again with the plan to have all four at some point by end of this year or spilling over into next year (finances permitted of course).

A second tonearm and cartridge is also in my future plan for next year that will complement my 4Point 11" with the upgraded MSL cartridge, as I already have a second Kuzma Arm Tower with VTA. Maybe a suitable arm with a Koetsu ????.

For my long term hifi system plan / goal, I am also considering in building up a complete CH Precision 1 System over the coming 5+ years (i.e. CD1.5, C1.2, L1 & A1.5 x 2 or M1.1) to go with my P1 and to replace my current Chord DAVE & Hifiman EF1000 Headphone & Speaker Amp (with maybe possibly in some distant future a P1 x 2 with X1 x 2) system.

In the meantime I am fully enjoying my P1 with my Kuzma XL DC & 4Point 11" TT system connected to my Hifiman EF1000 & Susvara headphone system.

I also have in my home in Spain a full Chord Electronics Choral system (Blu MK1 Transporter, QBD76 DAC, Prima Pre-Amp, Mezzo 140 x 2 Power Amps mono blocked) mounted in the Chord five tier Aspire Rack connected to Focal Electra 1038 Be Floor Standing Speakers.
And in the UK a similar full Chord Choral system (with numerous Chord Aspire racks i.e. 2 tier, 4 tier & 5 tier racks) with a Chord Blu MK1 upgraded with the in-built M Scaler connected to the Chord DAVE via High Fidelity STORM BNC digital interconnects, Chord Prima and one Chord Mezzo 140 linked to Focal Electra 1008 Be stand mount speakers. The Chord Blu & DAVE also currently feed my Hifiman EF1000 Headphone & Speaker Amp.
So these two full Chord Choral systems will be sold off in my long term 5+ year plan to purchase CH Precision equipment through my upgrade path journey.

Your thoughts on the above would be much appreciated.

p.s. sorry for the long post, lots of questions and some off topic subjects not directly relating to the P1. Just thought it being appropriate for members to see my overall hifi upgrade journey.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
For what it's worth, here are my thoughts:

I don't know your cartridge specifically - nor the two models you are considering upgrading to, but I have heard MSL before and enjoyed the brand.

If you add an X1 it will reward you with improved sound, but it won't be a night and day difference (e.g. tonally it will be the same etc) so perhaps a cartridge upgrade will produce more of a 'change'. Hard to know.

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
For what it's worth, here are my thoughts:

I don't know your cartridge specifically - nor the two models you are considering upgrading to, but I have heard MSL before and enjoyed the brand.

If you add an X1 it will reward you with improved sound, but it won't be a night and day difference (e.g. tonally it will be the same etc) so perhaps a cartridge upgrade will produce more of a 'change'. Hard to know.
Thank you MadFloyd for your feedback. Very much appreciated.

sig8

Jan 8, 2021
For what its worth; I do not own P1 yet, but what I read is that P1 being a current amplification phono works best/better with lower/lowest impedance cartridges, and your cartridge is lowest of all from MSL, others have higher impedance.

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
I wouldn't assume that just because you like the CH P1 you will love everything else that they do. I think the L1 is an extraordinary line stage, even more so with the X1, and would happily own one, but not amps or digital.

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
I wouldn't assume that just because you like the CH P1 you will love everything else that they do. I think the L1 is an extraordinary line stage, even more so with the X1, and would happily own one, but not amps or digital.
Yes heihei, that could be possible i.e. I may only like the CH P1 & L1 but not their D1.5, C1.2 and A1.5 and M1.1 etc.

However, from experience (with Chord, Rega & Linn products), I am a big believer in complete system synergy of individual components being high when you have a near enough complete system from one company.

So I am currently assuming that I will like all CH equipment from what I am currently hearing what the P1 has done to my system i.e. fantastic vinyl playback.

Hopefully if I get to some respectable hifi shows this year that has a CH system set-up, I am hoping to get a feel for how it sounds (although in hifi show environments and with such a CH system not using say a Kuzma XL DC etc. set-up nor Focal speakers, the sound may be completely different from what I am planning to aspire to.

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
For what its worth; I do not own P1 yet, but what I read is that P1 being a current amplification phono works best/better with lower/lowest impedance cartridges, and your cartridge is lowest of all from MSL, others have higher impedance.
Yes 'sig8'. This is one of the reasons (amongst a few others) why I bought a CH P1 i.e. it has two trans-impedance inputs well suited for the MSL cartridges especially the Eminent Ex (as you say it has the lowest impedance vs the Gold & Platinum Sig cartridges).

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hey all you (lucky) WBF CH P1 Owners....wondered if anybody can help me make some decisions in what I should do next in my UK hifi system upgrade path journey i.e.;

- Buy a CH X1 first to go with my P1 ?
or
- Upgrade my MSL Eminent Ex cartridge first (instead of the X1) to say a MSL Gold Sig or Platinum Sig ?

I will end of having both of the above upgrades (hopefully by the end of this year).

As well as the two upgrades above, have been wondering if it is well worth the money to also buy the Kuzma Outer Ring Clamp & Kuzma Ebony Spindle Clamp / Weight for my XL DC first before buying either the X1 or upgraded MSL cartridge (whichever I buy first) again with the plan to have all four at some point by end of this year or spilling over into next year (finances permitted of course).

A second tonearm and cartridge is also in my future plan for next year that will complement my 4Point 11" with the upgraded MSL cartridge, as I already have a second Kuzma Arm Tower with VTA. Maybe a suitable arm with a Koetsu ????.

For my long term hifi system plan / goal, I am also considering in building up a complete CH Precision 1 System over the coming 5+ years (i.e. CD1.5, C1.2, L1 & A1.5 x 2 or M1.1) to go with my P1 and to replace my current Chord DAVE & Hifiman EF1000 Headphone & Speaker Amp (with maybe possibly in some distant future a P1 x 2 with X1 x 2) system.

In the meantime I am fully enjoying my P1 with my Kuzma XL DC & 4Point 11" TT system connected to my Hifiman EF1000 & Susvara headphone system.

I also have in my home in Spain a full Chord Electronics Choral system (Blu MK1 Transporter, QBD76 DAC, Prima Pre-Amp, Mezzo 140 x 2 Power Amps mono blocked) mounted in the Chord five tier Aspire Rack connected to Focal Electra 1038 Be Floor Standing Speakers.
And in the UK a similar full Chord Choral system (with numerous Chord Aspire racks i.e. 2 tier, 4 tier & 5 tier racks) with a Chord Blu MK1 upgraded with the in-built M Scaler connected to the Chord DAVE via High Fidelity STORM BNC digital interconnects, Chord Prima and one Chord Mezzo 140 linked to Focal Electra 1008 Be stand mount speakers. The Chord Blu & DAVE also currently feed my Hifiman EF1000 Headphone & Speaker Amp.
So these two full Chord Choral systems will be sold off in my long term 5+ year plan to purchase CH Precision equipment through my upgrade path journey.

Your thoughts on the above would be much appreciated.

p.s. sorry for the long post, lots of questions and some off topic subjects not directly relating to the P1. Just thought it being appropriate for members to see my overall hifi upgrade journey.
Hi Bonsey Jonesy,

Some thoughts of mine :
1. CH Precision is working on a P10 and probably will be ready in 2023. My guess is that it will have an included external PSU, similar to the config of L10. If so, will you still consider adding a X1 to your P1 now?

2. IMHO your MSL Eminent is outclassed by the other components of your LP system. The Japanese ¥ is lowish currently so it's a good time to upgrade it to Gold or Platinum. 3 weeks ago a friend of mine bought a MSL Gold during his Xmas vacation in Tokyo. After tax reduction & discount, it's only ¥590k.

3. Another target your may consider is your 4Point tonearm. The new Safir9 is outstanding! I auditioned it a few times and posted my comment on the WBF Safir9 thread.

sig8

Jan 8, 2021
Ok, I am just going to ask. How do you buy these cartridges directly in yen. US dealers list in US Dollars. Thanks.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing