Ch precision...p1

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Ok, I am just going to ask. How do you buy these cartridges directly in yen. US dealers list in US Dollars. Thanks.
I have already mentioned on the #99 that a friend of mine visited Tokyo around Xmas time and bought the MSL Gold cartridge there.

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Hi Bonsey Jonesy,

Some thoughts of mine :
1. CH Precision is working on a P10 and probably will be ready in 2023. My guess is that it will have an included external PSU, similar to the config of L10. If so, will you still consider adding a X1 to your P1 now?

2. IMHO your MSL Eminent is outclassed by the other components of your LP system. The Japanese ¥ is lowish currently so it's a good time to upgrade it to Gold or Platinum. 3 weeks ago a friend of mine bought a MSL Gold during his Xmas vacation in Tokyo. After tax reduction & discount, it's only ¥590k.

3. Another target your may consider is your 4Point tonearm. The new Safir9 is outstanding! I auditioned it a few times and posted my comment on the WBF Safir9 thread.
Hi 'CKKeung',
Thank you for your detailed reply post to my system upgrade thoughts around the CH P1. Very much appreciated. Certainly a lot of food for thought. My thoughts as follows;

1) Unless I win the UK or Euro Lottery :), I doubt I would be buying a brand new P10, maybe a used one in 5 to 10 years time ! . Therefore I will still be considering a used CH X1.

2) Yes agree about my Eminent Ex now being the weakest link in my current system. Yes a good point regarding the Yen at the moment. I doubt though I will be going to Japan any time soon so would need to import from Japan to the UK. The UK GBP (£) is also low value at the moment.

3) Buying a new Safir9 now is the same as buying a new P10 now / soon i.e. finances. However I will certainly consider a possible used Safir9 in the coming years. I was thinking more of getting a used 4Point 14" possibly next year (2024) to either go along with my 11" or to sell my 11" to finance the 14" and purchase the 14" maybe towards the end of this year.

Overall, for my planned future upgrade paths, I am looking for is the best increase in sound quality etc. vs the financial outlay to what I already have for my UK based system (if that is at all possible on top of what I already have, especially with the Hifiman EF1000 Amp & Susvara headphones and Focal Electra 1008 Be speakers being part of my UK system). Hence me asking the questions I have asked and the steps best to take as I upgrade my UK based system step by step.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Is there something subpar about a 4Point?

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Hi CH P1 Owners,
Have two questions regarding the earth connections on the P1 and the transportation bolt(s) underneath the P1 that should be removed after being transported / delivered before being installed in the P1's resting and operating place.

Reason I am asking these questions is I have (and always have since installing my P1 last November (bought used), hear some hum through my Hifiman EF1000 Headphone Speaker Amp and Susvara Headphones when the volume gets to around 50% onwards. Through the speakers it is much harder to hear the hum but it is still there.
Therefore I am wondering if
I have disconnected the tonearm lead (currently connected to the MC1 / current input of the P1) and the hum does reduce but is still there. So I know it is not the cartridge or the tonearm cables from my Kuzma 4Point 11" (connected to my Kuzma XL DC).

Earth Connections on P1
On my P1 there are three earth connections (for banana connections) at the back of the P1 i.e. the two upper ones in black and the lower third one in yellow.
I am using the yellow connection as the earth with an earth wire (green & yellow) going to a mains power supply hub earth connection.
And I am using one of the black connections (top one) for my black tonearm earth cable connection i.e.;

IMG_3236.jpg

When I disconnect the earth connection from the P1 that is wired to the mains power supply hub earth connection the hum is louder.
When I disconnect the tonearm cable from the P1, the hum is louder.
Can anybody give me information as to whether my current earth connections are correct / optimal in reducing any hum from the P1 that may be due to earthing of the P1 as much as possible.

Transportation Locking Bolt(s) for P1 (or not in my case with my P1).
When I read version V1.1 of the P1 Manual it talks about in Section 4 to unscrew a transportation locking bolt from the P1 that locks the Transformer in place during transportation and unlocks it when removed.
When I read version V2.2 of the P1 Manual (most current version on the CH Precision website) it doesn't mention at all about unscrewing a transportation locking bolt to release the P1's Transformer.
When I look underneath my P1, it doesn't have such a transportation locking bolt like is shown in the V1.1 P1 manual, however I do see four smallish domed head allen key bolts arranged in a square pattern i.e. ;

IMG_3286.jpg

I am therefore assuming that my version of the P1 (manufactured late 2019 (possibly Nov 2019) has no such transportation locking bolts to remove before siting and operating the P1, hence no information on such transportation locking bolts in the V2.2 version of the P1's manual.
Can anybody give me any information / reassurance on this for my P1 ?

Thank you WBF Members in advance for any help / advice you can give me to make sure I am using my P1 optimally to reduce hum as much as possible.

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Hi CH P1 Owners,
Have two questions regarding the earth connections on the P1 and the transportation bolt(s) underneath the P1 that should be removed after being transported / delivered before being installed in the P1's resting and operating place.

Reason I am asking these questions is I have (and always have since installing my P1 last November (bought used), hear some hum through my Hifiman EF1000 Headphone Speaker Amp and Susvara Headphones when the volume gets to around 50% onwards. Through the speakers it is much harder to hear the hum but it is still there.
Therefore I am wondering if
I have disconnected the tonearm lead (currently connected to the MC1 / current input of the P1) and the hum does reduce but is still there. So I know it is not the cartridge or the tonearm cables from my Kuzma 4Point 11" (connected to my Kuzma XL DC).

Earth Connections on P1
On my P1 there are three earth connections (for banana connections) at the back of the P1 i.e. the two upper ones in black and the lower third one in yellow.
I am using the yellow connection as the earth with an earth wire (green & yellow) going to a mains power supply hub earth connection.
And I am using one of the black connections (top one) for my black tonearm earth cable connection i.e.;

View attachment 104627

When I disconnect the earth connection from the P1 that is wired to the mains power supply hub earth connection the hum is louder.
When I disconnect the tonearm cable from the P1, the hum is louder.
Can anybody give me information as to whether my current earth connections are correct / optimal in reducing any hum from the P1 that may be due to earthing of the P1 as much as possible.

Transportation Locking Bolt(s) for P1 (or not in my case with my P1).
When I read version V1.1 of the P1 Manual it talks about in Section 4 to unscrew a transportation locking bolt from the P1 that locks the Transformer in place during transportation and unlocks it when removed.
When I read version V2.2 of the P1 Manual (most current version on the CH Precision website) it doesn't mention at all about unscrewing a transportation locking bolt to release the P1's Transformer.
When I look underneath my P1, it doesn't have such a transportation locking bolt like is shown in the V1.1 P1 manual, however I do see four smallish domed head allen key bolts arranged in a square pattern i.e. ;

View attachment 104628

I am therefore assuming that my version of the P1 (manufactured late 2019 (possibly Nov 2019) has no such transportation locking bolts to remove before siting and operating the P1, hence no information on such transportation locking bolts in the V2.2 version of the P1's manual.
Can anybody give me any information / reassurance on this for my P1 ?

Thank you WBF Members in advance for any help / advice you can give me to make sure I am using my P1 optimally to reduce hum as much as possible.
Sorry all, some text went missing in one of my sentences when I posted i.e;

'Therefore I am wondering if'......it may be the way I have the earth cables connected / arranged and whether I need to release / remove any transportation locking bolts from my P1 ?

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Sorry all, some text went missing in one of my sentences when I posted i.e;

'Therefore I am wondering if'......it may be the way I have the earth cables connected / arranged and whether I need to release / remove any transportation locking bolts from my P1 ?
All,
Also forgot to mention that when I switch my Hifiman EF1000 Amp over to digital input (my Chord Blu CD Transporter with M Scaler and DAVE DAC) I don't get any hum at all...i.e. a dead black silence.
Same when I connect my CH P1 and Chord Blu & DAVE to my Chord Prima Pre-Amp & Mezzo 140 Power Amp (solid state pre-amp & power amp) i.e. hum from the P1 (same level as through my EF1000) and no hum at all from the Chord Blu & DAVE.
Therefore I know it is not the EF1000's tube pre-amp section causing the hum from the P1 and it's the P1 causing the hum !

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
I have come across a CH P1 making hum with a highly praised tonearm a couple of years ago. IOT figure out the problem I tried the same tonearm with EMT JPA 66 and hum is gone. I also tried it with Kondo SFz and GE-1 and hum reappeared. it turned out tonearm has a design flaw. Grounding is not very well thought but can easily be fixed and I fixed it.

Long story short CH P1 is a very well designed device but some devices are more sensitive to hum. IME when no tonearm is connected grounding via power cord should be sufficient. There should be no additional grounding and no hum.

In your case I can only think of a grounding loop at power distributor/receptacle or a remote possibility of transport/transformer screws. IMHO it’s best to consult CH Precision directly.

Last edited:

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
I have come across a CH P1 making hum with a highly praised tonearm a couple of years ago. IOT figure out the problem I tried the same tonearm with EMT JPA 66 and hum is gone. I also tried it with Kondo SFz and GE-1 and hum reappeared. it turns out the tonearm has a design flaw. Grounding is not very well thought but can easily be fixed and I fixed it.

Long story short CH P1 is very well designed device but some devices are more sensitive to hum. IME when no tonearm is connected grounding via power cord should be sufficient. There should be no additional grounding and no hum.

In your case I can only think of a grounding loop at power distributor/receptacle or a remote possibility of transport/transformer screws. IMHO it’s best to consult CH Precision directly.
Thank you 'mtemur' for your reply. Much appreciated.

Reactions: mtemur

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
No concern on locking bolt. Your P1 is the new version.
Thank you for your reply 'adyc'. Much appreciated.

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
All,
Also forgot to mention that when I switch my Hifiman EF1000 Amp over to digital input (my Chord Blu CD Transporter with M Scaler and DAVE DAC) I don't get any hum at all...i.e. a dead black silence.
Same when I connect my CH P1 and Chord Blu & DAVE to my Chord Prima Pre-Amp & Mezzo 140 Power Amp (solid state pre-amp & power amp) i.e. hum from the P1 (same level as through my EF1000) and no hum at all from the Chord Blu & DAVE.
Therefore I know it is not the EF1000's tube pre-amp section causing the hum from the P1 and it's the P1 causing the hum !
Hi CH P1 Owners,
As per a reply from 'adyc' (thank you 'adyc'), I also had confirmation from CH Precision yesterday via email that my version (believe was built during Q4 of 2019) of the P1 doesn't have a / any transportation bolt(s) to loosen / remove.

Regarding my P1 and tonearm earth connection configurations, CH Precision also said via their email for me to try and connect the tonearm grounding wire to the P1's yellow earth connection along with the earth wire going back to my earthing block an earth connection that is part of my power supply socket hub).
I tried this but there was no reduction in system hum noise.

The hum I am hearing through my headphone set-up (Hifiman EF1000 & Susvara which is super sensitive to noises it can hear) isn't so loud that it stops me from enjoying the music i.e. more like a background hum and in fact at times through quiet passages of music (depending on record) I also hear the surface noise from the vinyl which can be louder than this background hum.

I therefore must be hearing the general background system hum you get from Phono Stages / TT set-ups and that it is not possible to get a complete black background of silent / no system noise at all like I get with my digital source !.

I am aiming this year to try the CH Precision X1 seperate Power Supply unit with my P1 to;
1) See if I hear any increase in sound & music performance with my headphone set-up
and
2) That it may reduce the background hum I am currently hearing with my P1 & TT set-up.

sig8

Jan 8, 2021
I am getting a P1. What is a recommended tablet for control. Does Amazon Fire works for this? Sorry, am an iPhone user, so not much experience with Android and it's apps. Thanks.

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
I am getting a P1. What is a recommended tablet for control. Does Amazon Fire works for this? Sorry, am an iPhone user, so not much experience with Android and it's apps. Thanks.
I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab A8 to use with my P1 last November. Still in it's sealed box as found I didn't need it as I could (and did) set up my P1 just with the from menu buttons.

Also have my P1 connected with an ethernet cable but haven't bothered using it i.e. with uploading updated software etc. as I am ok in how it currently sounds with my current UK based system.

p.s. I am also an avid Apple Macbook and iPhone user.

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab A8 to use with my P1 last November. Still in it's sealed box as found I didn't need it as I could (and did) set up my P1 just with the from menu buttons.

Also have my P1 connected with an ethernet cable but haven't bothered using it i.e. with uploading updated software etc. as I am ok in how it currently sounds with my current UK based system.

p.s. I am also an avid Apple Macbook and iPhone user.
Sorry mis-type for 1st sentence / paragraph i.e. should read 'front' not 'from'

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
At one point, I hooked up all my CH components to my LAN and bought an Android tablet to control everything.... but it's just not necessary.

I never use it anymore. Also, I like to listen in the dark sometimes and the lights from the ethernet controllers on all the CH equipment drove me nuts.

Reactions: Bonesy Jonesy

sig8

Jan 8, 2021
Thanks for all the quick responses. I decided to get a 2022 Samsung Galaxy for now. I think in the beginning it will be nice to change settings and see how it sounds. Mine is coming with EQ board, not that I have 1950's vinyl, but might be interesting to see. Plan on using MSL Platinum and Solo on two Kuzma 4Points. Exciting. Will be selling Burmester 100. Do I really need to A/B that with P1?

Reactions: MadFloyd

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Thanks for all the quick responses. I decided to get a 2022 Samsung Galaxy for now. I think in the beginning it will be nice to change settings and see how it sounds. Mine is coming with EQ board, not that I have 1950's vinyl, but might be interesting to see. Plan on using MSL Platinum and Solo on two Kuzma 4Points. Exciting. Will be selling Burmester 100. Do I really need to A/B that with P1?
I have the MSL Eminent Ex cartridge on my Kuzma 4Point 11" and connected to the first current / trans-impedance input of my P1.

Sounds great, in fact it sounds that good I haven't bothered trying the other non trans-impedance P1 inputs.

Imagine your MSL Plat Sig will sound awesome with the current / trans-impedance input of your P1.

sig8

Jan 8, 2021
Another question; is it necessary to install spikes for P1 and X1. Both units will sit on a shelf (not on top of each other). Do spikes improve sound (isolation)? Thanks.

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Hi 'sig8',

Would be great if you could do a direct A to B comparison of P1 alone and P1 with X1 ?

sig8

Jan 8, 2021
Ok. That is easy, but everyone (reviewers) claim it goes to another level with X1, but would certainly do in next couple of weeks. I will be installing units over the weekend.

Reactions: Bonesy Jonesy

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing