Chronosonic XVX.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
My listening room have 20 feets of depth and only 12.4 of width. Would be a dream if my room has sufficient width to the XVX.
Depends on how you approach these things...if the XVX is/is not at its ideal setup (I am not say it would be or not in your case)...will you be happier knowing:

- it has a good likelihood in a room of that size to sound pretty darn awesome
- you own something that if you choose to move will go into the new room (if bigger) and sound even more amazing

We had X1s in our old place which was tight for them...and it sounded far better than the SF Strads that preceded them. And without doubt when we moved to our new place, they sounded far superior. So for me, we made the right decision because we had awesome sound in the new place...and better sound than the smaller SF Strads in the old for a few years.

Given how flexible the setup capability of the big Wilsons has historically been, I suspect the same will apply to the XVX. Definitely ask a Wilson dealer about this as well as a few other big Wilson owners.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Depends on how you approach these things...if the XVX is/is not at its ideal setup (I am not say it would be or not in your case)...will you be happier knowing:

- it has a good likelihood in a room of that size to sound pretty darn awesome
- you own something that if you choose to move will go into the new room (if bigger) and sound even more amazing

We had X1s in our old place which was tight for them...and it sounded far better than the SF Strads that preceded them. And without doubt when we moved to our new place, they sounded far superior. So for me, we made the right decision because we had awesome sound in the new place...and better sound than the smaller SF Strads in the old for a few years.

Given how flexible the setup capability of the big Wilsons has historically been, I suspect the same will apply to the XVX. Definitely ask a Wilson dealer about this as well as a few other big Wilson owners.

Indeed, it depends on how you approach these things. I personally cannot stand when speakers don't "disappear" from the soundstage, and that is likely to happen with too large speakers in a too small room. I am also sensitive to what I call boundary colorations from interactions with the sidewalls, which can result, for example, in heavily colored bass. Ruins the sound for me. Also likely a problem with too large speakers in a too small room.

Certainly, Wilson speakers are adjustable, and this may mitigate some of the problems, but still.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I hear you...and since there is no perfection, I recommend the 'choose your poison' approach. Interestingly, the X1 has been seen in some surprisingly small rooms even by major industry pros. I do not recall how big the original CJ sound room was, but I do remember seeing the photo with the X1s firmly in the corners on purpose.

Reactions: Al M.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
My room is 13 feet wide, but rather long - 31 feet. However it was a one feet in each direction in the windows zone, making this part 15 feet wide. It is enough for the XLF, as I bring them well in the room and can listen at 12 feet distance.

The fact that the bass port can can fire to the front or rear, either in the XVX and the XLF, helps a lot in speaker placement in smaller rooms.

Reactions: Jeff River

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
My room is 13 feet wide, but rather long - 31 feet. However it was a one feet in each direction in the windows zone, making this part 15 feet wide. It is enough for the XLF, as I bring them well in the room and can listen at 12 feet distance.

The fact that the bass port can can fire to the front or rear, either in the XVX and the XLF, helps a lot in speaker placement in smaller rooms.

Yes, I think adjustability is key, something that many large speakers don't have. I even need it with my monitor/subwoofer combination.

While unlike in previous times I now play with a fixed subwoofer setting that I have not changed in months *), it would be unthinkable for me not to have this initial adjustability of volume on the subwoofer, according to system requirements and room.

It would be, frankly, ridiculous. Similarly, I just don't understand the lack of options of adjustment, and the mindset behind it, in "full range" floor standers from certain brands.

*) I would only adjust the bass on a few rock recordings if needed, but I can do that also with the tone control on my preamp, a tone control that in general I rarely use as well.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

The great length of your room and the relatively large distance from speaker to listener (12 feet is quite a bit; with my monitors I listen at 8.5 feet distance) will certainly help with the "disappearing act" of the speakers as well.

Symbiose

Dec 19, 2020
Thank you for all the answers, I am doing some research about it and I saw some photos with the XVX placed in small rooms width, I guess it was in high end audio show. I will talk with a local dealer, if he can help me with that, perhaps I'll choose a smaller speaker.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Althought the XVX is big it is only 4 1/2" wider than the sabrina and only 1 1/2" wider than the alexia. The depth of the speaker is not really an issue for you. The XVX looks huge because it is so tall. I have Vivid G1 Spirits and they have a footprint at 171/2" wide X 321/2 deep that is actually bigger than the XVX. But the spirits look much smaller.

Sabrina 12" wide X 15" deep
Sasha DAW 14" wide X 21" deep
Alexia 15" wide X 23" Deep
Alex 15 3/4" wide X 27" deep
XVX 16 1/2" wide X 33" deep

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Althought the XVX is big it is only 4 1/2" wider than the sabrina and only 1 1/2" wider than the alexia. The depth of the speaker is not really an issue for you. The XVX looks huge because it is so tall. I have Vivid G1 Spirits and they have a footprint at 171/2" wide X 321/2 deep that is actually bigger than the XVX. But the spirits look much smaller.

Speaker height surely is an issue as well. I thought I read something like that you should have at least 2 feet between speaker and ceiling, but I may be mistaken. Certainly, a speaker directly beaming against a ceiling can hardly be a good thing.

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
sbnx I don’t think he is talking about physical size of the speakers, but more about the room size the speakers can work properly in.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
He didn't mention how tall his ceiling is. speaker close to a boundary (less than 5') is generally not good. But a couple panels on the ceiling and a couple on the side walls at the point of first reflection would deal with the harsh treble and imaging woes.

Yes, I agree he seems concerned if they will "fit" in his room. My point was that physically going all the way down to Sasha DAW only buys 2" from the acoustic center to the sidewall. The other part of "fit" involves too much bass because the larger woofers have so much output. This is where his dealer should be able to provide insight based on the results of installs he has done or seen.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Yes, the Alex and XVX are a lot slimmer than the 19 13/16 " wide XLF. The first time I saw an Alex it looked to me to be a less tall Alexandria on diet!

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

Reactions: Dezy

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have been invited over to hear the XVX at Absolute Sounds who have an absolute killer set up with several sets of amplification and the AF Tech Zero. Need to find some time, but look forward to it!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Never met a Wilson he didn’t like. Yawn.

Why should a reviewer review a speaker he dislikes?

In fact I owned several Wilson Audio speakers starting with the Watt/Puppies system V and liked them a lot. Surely I avoided those that did not attract me.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Why should a reviewer review a speaker he dislikes?
I think we should actually review a speaker we do not like. I mean review them sensibly in the same manner we review speakers we like. This will give buyers more perspective of both the speaker we like and not like. Also get to learn more about the preference of that reviewer consequently. The more info the better.

Reactions: cjfrbw

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing