Chronosonic XVX.

gds7368

VIP/Donor
Jan 9, 2015
A lot of people wrap their speakers, just like they do with cars.

This solution is a hell of a lot cheaper alternative and reversible.

30k additional is a joke.
Are you serious? Can you wrap a speaker a different color?
Never heard of that

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Are you serious? Can you wrap a speaker a different color?
Never heard of that

Absolutely. A mate of mine wrapped his JBL Everest speakers in silver.
Costs less than 1k.

Just like on Porches, Mercs, Lambo's etc, the wrap is reversible.

Wilson is yet again taking the piss on their customers with outrageously priced options.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
View attachment 55799
“During its design process, I have looked at every element that affects the performance of the new XVX. Capacitor development being just one. Our new in-house capacitor manufacturing division enables me to evaluate and consider never before construction configurations. What we’ve discovered is very exciting.”
- Daryl Wilson
As a developer should actually know. Not to use alligator clips. Always screw or solder the contact so you can hear only the full potential of the cap. I don't mean anything bad, just good advice.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
As a developer should actually know. Not to use alligator clips. Always screw or solder the contact so you can hear only the full potential of the cap. I don't mean anything bad, just good advice.

I depends on the type of alligator clip. If you use a proper one, with edged contacts and a strong spring, for a short time test the contact is perfectly adequate. The copper plated shown in the picture does not look like a common cheap alligator clip.

I found that sometimes we get surprises when measuring contact resistances in connectors. Sometimes Ohm's law and looks disagree. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Zeotrope

carl13

Feb 6, 2020
WA W.jpg
- New "Glacier Frost” Premium Pearl color
- Fractal design resistor panel glass
- White and Blue themed cable dressing
- Light blue Cerakote metal finish
- Blue tinted carbon fiber crossover housing

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Wilson is yet again taking the piss on their customers with outrageously priced options.

Reminds me of Marvel who keep coming out with characters in different colored costumes

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Reminds me of Marvel who keep coming out with characters in different colored costumes

I just went to the Porsche site. For a 911 GT3 custom colour, it cost $A 7500. Or about 5k in US$.
Wilson owners, please bend ova.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I just went to the Porsche site. For a 911 GT3 custom colour, it cost $A 7500. Or about 5k in US$.

25k to earn the right to post picture on forum and get likes

rando

Sep 22, 2019

Ked might be on the low end. Believe it was 15K (non-refundable) examination fee with another 10K for second round study (submitting a color). Then you get the atypical upcharges for reserving space and turnover time for one off color you might not even get exclusive on that model year.

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
If I bought the winter color, I would expect my air-conditioning costs in the summer to go down when listening.
The idea from wilson is for each person to have 4 pairs , one for each season.
People living near the equator are lucky and only have to buy 2 pairs , one for the dry season and one for the wet season

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
...some of the metallic paints are *very* pricey by the gallon. I paid 7K to have a Wendell Castle table painted with 3D metallic, which would be much easier than the Wilsons. The table looks very cool, but price was a little crazy, admittedly. They do have to lay down multiple coats, have a clean-room, careful handling...and a flawless finished product.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Wilson owners, please bend s
That’s not correct. Paint to sample on the 911 is about $20K USD. And VW has fully automated paint systems, unlike Wilson.

• Haha
Reactions: XV-1

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
That’s not correct. Paint to sample on the 911 is about $20K USD. And VW has fully automated paint systems, unlike Wilson.

You have no idea what you are talking about. Not everything revolves around the USA. Read what I wrote.

Go to the Porsche Australia web site and select one of the custom colours. It costs AU $ 7500.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
You have no idea what you are talking about. Not everything revolves around the USA. Read what I wrote.

Go to the Porsche Australia web site and select one of the custom colours. It costs AU $ 7500.
Sadly it’s you who has no idea what you’re saying. In Australia, where you laughably have to pay $100K for a C-Class?! What a joke of a country that it when it comes to car prices. I can tell you that in Canada, also a Commonwealth country, we don’t have to pay over 2X the global retail price of a car. Don’t get me started about Australian car prices, what a Joke.

Oh and here’s the PTS option price for a 911 in Australia: $31,280.

Regardless of the Porsche custom paint price, your point makes no sense. A high volume mass produced product where the painting process is fully automated has nothing to do with the cost of painting a low volume product by hand.

Attachments

• 8E6DB0D5-FE55-4960-9963-A0F8E435C486.png
    8E6DB0D5-FE55-4960-9963-A0F8E435C486.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 4

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Sadly it’s you who has no idea what you’re saying. In Australia, where you laughably have to pay $100K for a C-Class?! What a joke of a country that it when it comes to car prices. I can tell you that in Canada, also a Commonwealth country, we don’t have to pay over 2X the global retail price of a car. Don’t get me started about Australian car prices, what a Joke.

Oh and here’s the PTS option price for a 911 in Australia: $31,280.

Regardless of the Porsche custom paint price, your point makes no sense. A high volume mass produced product where the painting process is fully automated has nothing to do with the cost of painting a low volume product by hand.

Yes cars are crazy expensive in Australia. Same with hifi.

I was looking at " special " colour. My mistake, custom is what you said. You would probably be waiting for 12 months as well

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Yes cars are crazy expensive in Australia. Same with hifi.

I was looking at " special " colour. My mistake, custom is what you said. You would probably be waiting for 12 months as well
I’m sure Australia is a great country to live in. It would be hard to get used to those prices though! For smaller items, I guess many smuggle them in?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing