Chronosonic XVX.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I’m sure Australia is a great country to live in. It would be hard to get used to those prices though! For smaller items, I guess many smuggle them in?
I guess the same would apply to North America for many Japanese (and some European ones too) hifi brands which are almost double in price from many other countries.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Sadly it’s you who has no idea what you’re saying. In Australia, where you laughably have to pay $100K for a C-Class?! What a joke of a country that it when it comes to car prices. I can tell you that in Canada, also a Commonwealth country, we don’t have to pay over 2X the global retail price of a car. Don’t get me started about Australian car prices, what a Joke.

Oh and here’s the PTS option price for a 911 in Australia: $31,280.

Regardless of the Porsche custom paint price, your point makes no sense. A high volume mass produced product where the painting process is fully automated has nothing to do with the cost of painting a low volume product by hand.
Australian car prices are very cheap compared to many Asian countries. We pay well over 100% tax on our cars.

Reactions: XV-1

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
I guess the same would apply to North America for many Japanese (and some European ones too) hifi brands which are almost double in price from many other countries.
You would think but I haven’t found that to be the case. US and Canadian prices are probably the lowest in the world. Not sure why: more customer demand in 1 country and less governmental greed probably.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
You would think but I haven’t found that to be the case. US and Canadian prices are probably the lowest in the world. Not sure why: more customer demand in 1 country and less governmental greed probably.
I believe your Accuphase prices are crazy high.

Reactions: XV-1

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Australian car prices are very cheap compared to many Asian countries. We pay well over 100% tax on our cars.

The ones with names that sound like they left the West or resemble Shane's screen name Wilson's expansion on trend of assigning regal product names?

You should import a few of the latter vehicles to the UK where they actually have a solid following.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
To anyone thats heard the m9 and xvx (I know they are different price categories) but what are your thoughts between the two?

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
To anyone thats heard the m9 and xvx (I know they are different price categories) but what are your thoughts between the two?
I have heard them in the same system. They are quite different sounding. I’m sure that doesn’t help at all.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
The best speaker Jay has heard, by a country mile. At least this guy puts his $$ where his mouth is.

wgerman

Jul 4, 2012
I have heard them in the same system. They are quite different sounding. I’m sure that doesn’t help at all.
A little more details please. Was one darker sounding? Soundstage? Which is more expressive?

There comes a point when every detail on the track has been introduced.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
I would never consider Magico at this price point because they are not time aligned. That’s just my 2 cents but I spent 8 years researching speaker design when I designed my own horns.
At a lower price point, forgoing time alignment is an OK compromise; but well into the 6-figures, I don’t think it’s forgivable.

Reactions: marmota

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Here are details from someone that has actually listened to both.

#1,200

Reactions: wgerman

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
A little more details please. Was one darker sounding? Soundstage? Which is more expressive?

There comes a point when every detail on the track has been introduced.
I would given the choice of either 100% prefer the Magico. That is not to say the Chronosonic is bad but in comparison the Wilson is a bit muddy and not very focused. Bear in mind I am not a fan generally of either brand but the M9 sounds remarkably focused for something that big. I would venture to say that I have not heard much that sounds like it. It’s a bit like a two way stand mount speaker in its immediacy but with a thunderclap behind it when needed. Definitely worth auditioning if it’s in your budget or not.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Auditioning is almost useless unless you can keep the source equipment and room identical. Everything can make such a big difference you won’t know what’s due to the speakers

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Auditioning is almost useless unless you can keep the source equipment and room identical. Everything can make such a big difference you won’t know what’s due to the speakers
The only thing about your reasoning is that if you keep everything identical, one set of variables may have a positive effect on one speaker and a negative effect on another speaker.

I routinely (almost daily or at least weekly) replace certain speakers with other speakers in the exact same location with everything identical. When this is done then I usually have to make changes to either sources, cables, electronics etc to get the newly placed speaker to perform to its max capability.

That's me, probably different for you.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
That’s a great point; hadn’t thought about it as I never compare components; makes total sense.
It’s unfortunate that compromises need to be made even at this price point; but it makes sense.
I didn’t love the midrange of the XVX when I heard them last summer; but I was comparing to my field coil RCA horns which many think are the best mids in the world.
Based on this discussion I will consider the M9 for a future second room. Thanks Bob, your breadth of listening rooms will make a huge difference to selection.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
That’s a great point; hadn’t thought about it as I never compare components; makes total sense.
It’s unfortunate that compromises need to be made even at this price point; but it makes sense.
I didn’t love the midrange of the XVX when I heard them last summer; but I was comparing to my field coil RCA horns which many think are the best mids in the world.
Based on this discussion I will consider the M9 for a future second room. Thanks Bob, your breadth of listening rooms will make a huge difference to selection.
I'm not saying it's always like that, but more times than not in my set ups. Sometimes you get lucky and don't have to change anything:)

wgerman

Jul 4, 2012
I would given the choice of either 100% prefer the Magico. That is not to say the Chronosonic is bad but in comparison the Wilson is a bit muddy and not very focused. Bear in mind I am not a fan generally of either brand but the M9 sounds remarkably focused for something that big. I would venture to say that I have not heard much that sounds like it. It’s a bit like a two way stand mount speaker in its immediacy but with a thunderclap behind it when needed. Definitely worth auditioning if it’s in your budget or not.
Thank you for your reply.

Reactions: howiebrou

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing