Chronosonic XVX.

HenryD

Aug 29, 2020
I would never consider Magico at this price point because they are not time aligned. That’s just my 2 cents but I spent 8 years researching speaker design when I designed my own horns.
At a lower price point, forgoing time alignment is an OK compromise; but well into the 6-figures, I don’t think it’s forgivable.
None of these big speakers are time aligned (if you follow the scientific/acoustic definition of what is “time alignment”).
In fact, unless digitally, actively driven, it would be extremely difficult, with lots of compromises involved to achieve (6db per octave slopes, diffraction, etc)

Hessec

Oct 27, 2018
Southlake TX
I should have the opportunity rather soon to hear the XVX in a friends home. I have the M9 in showroom. Apples and oranges systems though. My thoughts may not carry too much weight as I have a vested interest in Magico. I will, however, try to be as objective as possible. I'm sure the XVX is also incredible.

Last edited:

dbeau

Apr 20, 2018
OKC,USA
I should have the opportunity rather soon to hear the XVX in a friends home. I have the M9 in showroom. Apples and oranges systems though. My thoughts may not carry too much weight as I have a vested interest in Magico. I will, however, try to be as subjective as possible. I'm sure the XVX is also incredible.
LOL "subjective as possible" s/b Objective :D

Reactions: bonzo75

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
None of these big speakers are time aligned (if you follow the scientific/acoustic definition of what is “time alignment”).
In fact, unless digitally, actively driven, it would be extremely difficult, with lots of compromises involved to achieve (6db per octave slopes, diffraction, etc)
Wilson would claim otherwise. Why do you think the XVX is not time aligned? They took great steps to provide a very robust and accurate way to adjust the drivers.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Wilson would claim otherwise. Why do you think the XVX is not time aligned? They took great steps to provide a very robust and accurate way to adjust the drivers.
It’s not time coherent for sure. Look at the step response. When I hear the big Wilson’s (and I’ve heard the XVX) I feel there is a penalty for splitting up the midrange like they do now. Some don’t hear it and to be fair, I had a single driver speaker for several years.

for what it’s worth, have a friend who has both XVX and Sonja XV and I preferred the latter.

Reactions: bonzo75

wgerman

Jul 4, 2012
I should have the opportunity rather soon to hear the XVX in a friends home. I have the M9 in showroom. Apples and oranges systems though. My thoughts may not carry too much weight as I have a vested interest in Magico. I will, however, try to be as objective as possible. I'm sure the XVX is also incredible.
Have to make an appointment to hear the M9s.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
The ones i heard in munchen with nagra sounded very dissapointing to my ears .
Same goes for alexx and the small model .
Sterile , not coherent and very light in the bass .
The main xvx tower and the bass sounded disjointed.

I ll give them another try this year in munich .

Ps I always had good memories of WP 6 an7 and maxx / Alexandria .

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

This subject was clearly explained in Stereophile Wilson Audio reviews by John Atkinson in the measurements section. The reviews are available at their site.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
And the main xvx tower and the bass sounded disjointed.

Why do you loose your time in Munich listening to speakers you dislike so much?

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Why do you loose your time in Munich listening to speakers you dislike so much?

Im a apeaker guy i do it out interested.
You cannot go to munchen and miss wilson
If you read my show report of last year there were 4 or 5 rooms i went back too for long extended listening .

If i hear otherwise this year i will mention it as well and correct my opinion accordingly.
Besides all this is just my opinion it doesnt have to be someone else s

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
@microstrip ”This subject was clearly explained in Stereophile Wilson Audio reviews by John Atkinson in the measurements section. The reviews are available at their site”

Hmmm…. I checked two of his Wilson reviews and didn’t see anything on this. This is a quote from Fremer’s review of the XVX:
The heart of the speaker, though, is a version of the micrometer-based aluminum-and–stainless steel gantry system developed for the WAMM, which allows precise time alignment of the mid- and upper-frequency drivers relative to each other and the drivers below. In a conversation with Jason Victor Serinus, the late Dave Wilson described the goal of the system as achieving "synchronicity of the alignment of the leading edge of the transient."

421wilson.3

While flat–front-baffle speakers fixed at 90° from vertical can have an error of hundreds of microseconds, Wilson explained to young Jason, the WAMM's micrometer/gantry system allows for adjustments down to about 2µs. "It's nice if you have phase coherence, but it is not necessary," Wilson said in his chat with JVS. "What I'm interested in is the synchronicity of the leading edge of each note."

Someone earlier asked about the point of time alignment if it can be changed: the point is to time align at the listening position. So you align the mid and high drivers to align in time at the listening position.

Reactions: dbeau

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
The main xvx tower and the bass sounded disjointed.

Ps I always had good memories of WP 6 an7 and maxx / Alexandria .
And yet at least three publications called the Nagra/Wilson room the best room of the show…
Interesting how personal opinion can vary so greatly.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
And yet at least three publications called the Nagra/Wilson room the best room of the show…
Interesting how personal opinion can vary so greatly.

2 reasons for it , either i m not qualified / deaf ( which i am according to ked ;) ) or it has to do with the fact that i m not in the industry/ getting paid to give an opinion

• Haha
Reactions: Lagonda and XV-1

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Interesting- where was this? What did you end up going with, if you don’t mind?
I can’t quite remember if it was 2022 may be 2021? I think it was. I wasn’t demoing for myself, just listening for fun.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Lost site of the fact that the M9 are more than DOUBLE the price of the XVX! $750K vs $350K. Yikes!
I come back to the lack of time alignment then. At more than 2X the price, that’s a major trade-off pill to swallow.
(Time alignment is not ‘’marketing fluff” as some think it is: ideally, all frequencies should reach your ears at the same time. Simple. Makes sense. When a violin is playing, all frequencies emanate from the same point…).

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Reactions: andromedaaudio

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Lost site of the fact that the M9 are more than DOUBLE the price of the XVX! $750K vs $350K. Yikes!
I come back to the lack of time alignment then. At more than 2X the price, that’s a major trade-off pill to swallow.
(Time alignment is not ‘’marketing fluff” as some think it is: ideally, all frequencies should reach your ears at the same time. Simple. Makes sense. When a violin is playing, all frequencies emanate from the same point…).

Why do you think time-alignment is so important? How would you counter Alon Wolf's thoughts in the issue?

See:

Reactions: HenryD

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing