Clarisys Audio Auditorium Loudspeaker

I visited my friend Cyrus in Spokane, Washington, earlier in the winter to hear his system with Clarisys Auditorium loudspeakers. At that point, I had not yet set up my Clarisys Studio Plus speakers in my listening room for Audio Café. As most of you know, I represent Clarisys Audio as their Los Angeles dealer. Hence, visiting Cyrus was the first time I would hear Clarisys loudspeakers in a home environment.

After my visit to Cyrus, Roy Gregory followed up his review of the Clarisys Auditorium loudspeakers with an extensive report on his use of six channels of amplification using an active crossover to drive the Auditoriums. See https://gy8.eu/review/brilliant-adventure/

Cyrus was excited about the sonic possibilities reported by Roy Gregory from driving each driver in the Auditoriums with its dedicated amplifier: six loudspeaker drivers and six compact monaural amplifiers.

After Cyrus had discussed Roy's report with me, I suggested that Cyrus replicate Roy's configuration with six WestminsterLab REIs. I put Cyrus in contact with Gary Leeds of Hear This, the North American distributor for WestminsterLab. As to why I recommended REIs please see Post #400 of this thread: https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/re-imagining-class-a-amplification.34468/page-20

So Gary, representing Hear This, Angus Leung, representing WestminsterLab, and I, representing Clarisys Audio through Audio Café, decided we would form a team to collaborate on installing this unique system. I believe it is the first (after Roy) tri-amplified system using an active crossover on Clarisys loudspeakers in a home environment anywhere in the world

Thank you to Mike Bovaird of Suncoast Audio, the U.S. importer for Clarisys, for supplying us with the CS Port electronic crossover, and to Clarisys Audio head honcho Florián for his advice and excellent technical support!

As an tube purist active solid-state crossovers have been philosophically anathema to me. But I do always say that implementation trumps theory.

In this tri-amplified system with the CS Port ACN400 I heard greater weight and tonal density and natural warmth than I have heard before in Cyrus' system. I honestly don't know why the tonal balance changed so much in the sonic direction I personally prefer with all of the WestminsterLab components. Angus says that his transistor circuit design controls the loudspeaker driver in a way that reduces distortion.

On Jeff Buckley's "Hallelujah" the "twang" at the beginning of the song on Cyrus' system was a rich, golden, burnished sound I like, not the sharp, silvery, whitish sound I usually hear from that twang.

Was this the WestminsterLab components? The active crossover? The monaural amplifier dedicated to each individual driver? I don't know. I have to consider it the combination of all of the above.

There definitely is something sonically material to powering each loudspeaker driver with its own amplifier. And I have to say the ability to tweak frequency bands with the active crossover to one's ears' perfection was pretty seductive.

I concur with Roy Gregory's findings on the sonic efficacy of powering each loudspeaker driver with its own amplifier.

IMG_3031.jpeg

Hi Ron,
Excellent report, spot on, thank you!
As good as the Clarisys Auditoriums are in the passive mode, once you hear them with the active crossover you can't go back!
They just suck you into the music like nothing I have ever experienced. Thanks to Mike & Florian for the support.
Keep up the great work with your Vids & Reports.
Best,
Rad

I visited my friend Cyrus in Spokane, Washington, earlier in the winter to hear his system with Clarisys Auditorium loudspeakers. At that point, I had not yet set up my Clarisys Studio Plus speakers in my listening room for Audio Café. As most of you know, I represent Clarisys Audio as their Los Angeles dealer. Hence, visiting Cyrus was the first time I would hear Clarisys loudspeakers in a home environment.

After my visit to Cyrus, Roy Gregory followed up his review of the Clarisys Auditorium loudspeakers with an extensive report on his use of six channels of amplification using an active crossover to drive the Auditoriums. See https://gy8.eu/review/brilliant-adventure/

Cyrus was excited about the sonic possibilities reported by Roy Gregory from driving each driver in the Auditoriums with its dedicated amplifier: six loudspeaker drivers and six compact monaural amplifiers.

After Cyrus had discussed Roy's report with me, I suggested that Cyrus replicate Roy's configuration with six WestminsterLab REIs. I put Cyrus in contact with Gary Leeds of Hear This, the North American distributor for WestminsterLab. As to why I recommended REIs please see Post #400 of this thread: https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/re-imagining-class-a-amplification.34468/page-20

So Gary, representing Hear This, Angus Leung, representing WestminsterLab, and I, representing Clarisys Audio through Audio Café, decided we would form a team to collaborate on installing this unique system. I believe it is the first (after Roy) tri-amplified system using an active crossover on Clarisys loudspeakers in a home environment anywhere in the world

Thank you to Mike Bovaird of Suncoast Audio, the U.S. importer for Clarisys, for supplying us with the CS Port electronic crossover, and to Clarisys Audio head honcho Florián for his advice and excellent technical support!

As an tube purist active solid-state crossovers have been philosophically anathema to me. But I do always say that implementation trumps theory.

In this tri-amplified system with the CS Port ACN400 I heard greater weight and tonal density and natural warmth than I have heard before in Cyrus' system. I honestly don't know why the tonal balance changed so much in the sonic direction I personally prefer with all of the WestminsterLab components. Angus says that his transistor circuit design controls the loudspeaker driver in a way that reduces distortion.

On Jeff Buckley's "Hallelujah" the "twang" at the beginning of the song on Cyrus' system was a rich, golden, burnished sound I like, not the sharp, silvery, whitish sound I usually hear from that twang.

Was this the WestminsterLab components? The active crossover? The monaural amplifier dedicated to each individual driver? I don't know. I have to consider it the combination of all of the above.

There definitely is something sonically material to powering each loudspeaker driver with its own amplifier. And I have to say the ability to tweak frequency bands with the active crossover to one's ears' perfection was pretty seductive.

I concur with Roy Gregory's findings on the sonic efficacy of powering each loudspeaker driver with its own amplifier.

View attachment 129549
Actively driving a speaker system with a properly implemented active crossover and dedicated amplifiers IS the way to go....on just about any speaker system, regardless of topology.....

Hi Ron,
Excellent report, spot on, thank you!
Thank you.
As good as the Clarisys Auditoriums are in the passive mode, once you hear them with the active crossover you can't go back!
Can you be more specific, please? What sonic changes did you hear from switching to the active crossover?

Did you hear a change in tonal balance, or a change in any frequency emphasis or de-emphasis?

Actively driving a speaker system with a properly implemented active crossover and dedicated amplifiers IS the way to go....on just about any speaker system, regardless of topology.....
Hello MRJAZZ,

Why do you believe this?

What experience-based data points do you have?

Hello MRJAZZ,

Why do you believe this?

What experience-based data points do you have?
I believe this because the results are clearly better... In every way...ie: Superior dynamics, better transparency, (a clearer "window" into the performance). The ability to "fine tune" the various parameters to match the room and ones personal needs/preferences.

Data points: Bi n tri amped QUAD 57's ( in this instance the Quad woofer/mid panels & tweeter sections are not directly driven) ....a similar arrangement as in the Levinson HQD.
MAGNAPLANAR TYMP IV, and 1 D's. All internal passive filters by passed and directly driven with ARC tube gear and custom active electronic crossovers.
QUINTESSENCE ACOUSTICS QHP ..(my company) . This is a tri amped system featuring JBL woofers (2235, two per side), a Celestion Axi 2050, (a two inch CD), and various Super Tweeters , all controlled by a DBX DriveRack (DSP).

I am not suggesting one can't achieve excellent results with passive filter implementation, (that's what my company has been offering for many years), however I do believe you can "push" the "envelope" with active devices.
Cheers....

I believe this because the results are clearly better... In every way...ie: Superior dynamics, better transparency, (a clearer "window" into the performance). The ability to "fine tune" the various parameters to match the room and ones personal needs/preferences.

Data points: Bi n tri amped QUAD 57's ( in this instance the Quad woofer/mid panels & tweeter sections are not directly driven) ....a similar arrangement as in the Levinson HQD.
MAGNAPLANAR TYMP IV, and 1 D's. All internal passive filters by passed and directly driven with ARC tube gear and custom active electronic crossovers.
QUINTESSENCE ACOUSTICS QHP ..(my company) . This is a tri amped system featuring JBL woofers (2235, two per side), a Celestion Axi 2050, (a two inch CD), and various Super Tweeters , all controlled by a DBX DriveRack (DSP).

I am not suggesting one can't achieve excellent results with passive filter implementation, (that's what my company has been offering for many years), however I do believe you can "push" the "envelope" with active devices.
Cheers....
Thank you!

Thank you.

Can you be more specific, please? What sonic changes did you hear from switching to the active crossover?

Did you hear a change in tonal balance, or a change in any frequency emphasis or de-emphasis?
Ron,
Yes, there is a change in the tonal balance, There is just more of everything! More detail, extension, transparency & dynamics. I even sense a more 3d effect to the music with a larger soundstage, huge!
The whole experience of the active pulls you in closer to the performance of the artist WITHOUT being a forward presentation or in your face effect.
The fact that you can adjust the highs, mids & low end frequencies is a advantage to any system / room..

Reactions: Ron Resnick
Reactions: morricab
Sorry, I googled and found prices for many other CS Port products but not this one. If you know then why not just share?

Yup, can't find it either. Indeed, why make it complicated and not just share?

Is the CS Port a SS or tube crossover? I notice they make tube amps…
keep in mind that the chief designer/CEO of CS Port was the chief designer and CEO of a large Japanese corporation specializing in power supplies for industry before he retired to start CS Port in 2014. my guess is he has forgot more about power supplies than any circuit designer in the high end knows. (might be true......but just kidding to make a point). he does use switch mode power supplies in many of his products.

keep in mind that the chief designer/CEO of CS Port was the chief designer and CEO of a large Japanese corporation specializing in power supplies for industry before he retired to start CS Port in 2014. my guess is he has forgot more about power supplies than any circuit designer in the high end knows. (might be true......but just kidding to make a point). he does use switch mode power supplies in many of his products.
Ok, doesn't answer either of my questions (SS or tube and price) but interesting. I see that is SS but still don't have a price...

Based on the above experience with the multiple array of amplifiers and active x-overs driving an already "high performance" speaker system, if the differences are "huge" and it's something that the owner/user is looking for then so be it! That's great to know that things have improved all round, and overall performance has jumped a significant factor. That's a good thing.

Another interesting thing is, over the years I've auditioned many lofty systems, very complex and elaborate ones. Although the heavily fortified systems did have all the muscle, power, dynamics, huge soundstage etc., to me they lacked the essence / soul of the music that's found on the original recording. Having all this great complex gear is great but there are far too many points of contact the signal passes through. The source signal is a tiny part of the playback chain... keeping things simple will yield purer results. There's no denying that.

After having put together elaborate systems with high performance speakers, the overall quality is limited by the recording itself. Which is also limited by the room, which is also limited by our hearing! You can tweak these factors till the kookaburras come home but I sincerely believe the quality of the recording is key.

No matter how many amps, channels, x-overs, out-boards boxes and doggy chains are used... the simpler systems have always been clean, distortion free, absolute quietness and presents more of the original recording.

A very wise man once told me, use the less amount of gear, connect them with the least points contact, and use the best possible components with the highest quality parts. Shortest signal paths from source to speakers and you'll notice everything from the recording. This is not a rock concert or a live gig, this is reproduced recorded music. So keep it simple, and you'll hear more of everything as intended on the original recording.
That wise man was Lew Johnson of CJ and he was right!

Anyway, just my 50cts worth... if y'all prefer to drive an already top notch system with even more gear and you find huge differences that are really satisfying and most importantly closer to the actual music then enjoy! I guess that's something you're after.

My personal preference is hearing what's on the actual recording. Do enjoy those fine tunes!
Woof! RJ

Reactions: PeterA

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing