Converting Ripped SACD Files to DSD

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
If you are trying to create multichannel files (these are huge) then I think you need to first create .iso files and then decode them to stereo and multichannel separately. I use my tried and true PlayStation 3 to create the iso files from the SACDs. Then use the Sonore to complete the conversion. I found there were some problems with the earlier Sonore versions that wouldn't decode a few files. But the new version does fine. Larry

Reactions: Alrainbow

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I won’t make any roon buds but someone has to say things as they are
for one the room gods are selfish and say things they can’t do or were wrong to say and don’t care.
many players play iso files fine
foo bar, j River for another

next the conversion process to create diff or dsf files changes the sound. The software you use truncates the data to approximate the files Then adds data to allow you to play the files. I’m not an ultra nurd but did this many years back and I can hear the effects
the best way is play the iso is as is. What they do I have no idea but they sound the same always, meaning no variation in software sound.
you can’t see the track names or info until it’s loaded.
i love the features of Roon like most , but each revision is an up and down sound. one format is better and others now suffer.
for me Roon is a nice simple player loaded with great info
but sending to another end point of sorts is a must
and there are other players not as cute but sound amazing in compares as is.
hq is min to use Roon but hq while by is far the best player in sound
is a mindfield of menus to sound best.
i know taking the time to make each album be best matters. But man I’m old and playing cd s to a good dac is also a great simple no fail to play music too.

• Love
Reactions: rando and dan31

rando

Sep 22, 2019
next the conversion process to create diff or dsf files changes the sound. The software you use truncates the data to approximate the files Then adds data to allow you to play the files. I’m not an ultra nurd but did this many years back and I can hear the effects
the best way is play the iso is as is. What they do I have no idea but they sound the same always, meaning no variation in software sound.
you can’t see the track names or info until it’s loaded.

As in most things the only way to improve is keep trying. Software has and will continue to make strides. :)

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
I received the dual "A" USB yesterday, but didn't get a chance to try it. The bridge arrived today and I had a few minutes so I installed it. Easy peasie! And fast file transfer from the Aurender.

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
I got back to converting SACDs to DSD, but it seems like setmind/SACDExtractGUI no longer works. The link takes me to a java code site. Does anyone have a version of the program executable they can send me or provide a link? Thanks!

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
I got back to converting SACDs to DSD, but it seems like setmind/SACDExtractGUI no longer works. The link takes me to a java code site. Does anyone have a version of the program executable they can send me or provide a link? Thanks!
See Releases / Latest over on the right?

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
See Releases / Latest over on the right?
In the immortal words of Emily Latella, "never mind". Or as Homer Simpson would say, "D'oh!"

Thanks Kal!

Reactions: John T

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
In the immortal words of Emily Latella, "never mind". Or as Homer Simpson would say, "D'oh!"

Thanks Kal!
PS it works great now. Now if I only had the skill and patience/time to write a script or command line to convert the remaining ~400 albums. Oh well, 6 more down, 394 to go…

I have a couple weeks off coming up. Maybe this will be one of my projects. The XDMS sound quality is certainly quite an incentive.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
PS it works great now. Now if I only had the skill and patience/time to write a script or command line to convert the remaining ~400 albums. Oh well, 6 more down, 394 to go…
Why do you need a script when you have a GUI?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

I have a couple weeks off coming up. Maybe this will be one of my projects. The XDMS sound quality is certainly quite an incentive.

It is a ridiculous situation - hundreds or thousands of SACD owners having to loose their time to rip their SACDs one by one generating each one exactly the same files. There is considerable progress in CD ripping - some servers will automatically rip an entire library in short time, why no one has developed a similar system for SACDs?

Reactions: ACHiPo

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
Why do you need a script when you have a GUI?
Kal,
It takes about 90 seconds to convert the file and 10-30 sec to enter the info, so about 2 minutes per album assuming I'm vigilant and don't get distracted doing other tasks while the conversion is going on. Without automation (script or command line) that's over 13 hours of, what is in my mind, non-value-added time (other than the value of hearing an SACD title on my Extreme via XDMS, which is quite an incentive).

Evan

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
It is a ridiculous situation - hundreds or thousands of SACD owners having to loose their time to rip their SACDs one by one generating each one exactly the same files. There is considerable progress in CD ripping - some servers will automatically rip an entire library in short time, why no one has developed a similar system for SACDs?
Well, in all fairness, the Aurender played my SACD files just fine...

Reactions: GSOphile

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
Enter what info? I just click and go.
I have to select the folder and file, destination location. I also often need to find and copy cover art which is not a show stopper. I'm sure I could get the info entry time down a bit with practice.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
I have to select the folder and file, destination location.
???? That's automated in the GUI if you set it up.
I also often need to find and copy cover art which is not a show stopper.
True. I use Album Art Downloader but I do that in batches.

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
???? That's automated in the GUI if you set it up.
That's what I meant by script or command line. I just haven't taken the time to figure out how to "set it up" to automate it.

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing