Cookie Marenco Interview

wil

Jul 22, 2015
Nice to hear Cookie talk about her experiences in the recording/record label industry. One example of someone trying to do it right.

I had to laugh when, near the end of the interview, she mentioned that every student from a pro audio school who has come to work in her studio, had to be taught to forget everything they learned in school, as all they knew was Pro Tools filters and had very little conception of how real musical instruments sound.

This video interview is nearly 80 minutes long, but I don’t regret watching the whole thing. It was really quite revealing, and it offers a lot of insight into why we disagree so vociferously regarding digital formats, music services, and even analog presentations. If you’ve got the time, you may enjoy it too.

Thanks, The Audiophile Foundation is expanding and we will be hosting more events like this in the coming months, including an in studio event with Cookie.

We have expanded our reach and membership from the Bay Area to North America. Check out what's happening.

Reactions: wil
Nice to hear Cookie talk about her experiences in the recording/record label industry. One example of someone trying to do it right.

I had to laugh when, near the end of the interview, she mentioned that every student from a pro audio school who has come to work in her studio, had to be taught to forget everything they learned in school, as all they knew was Pro Tools filters and had very little conception of how real musical instruments sound.

Love her but what I wonder is if her DSD recordings are so much better than typical PCM used by studios, then why aren't artists banging on her door. Personally I've only heard her stuff that has been converted to PCM for streaming services/CD.

Love her but what I wonder is if her DSD recordings are so much better than typical PCM used by studios, then why aren't artists banging on her door.
I have about 10 of her recordings in DSD256, the sonics are top rate, and emulate the best of analog IMHO.

Reactions: Rexp
Love her but what I wonder is if her DSD recordings are so much better than typical PCM used by studios, then why aren't artists banging on her door. Personally I've only heard her stuff that has been converted to PCM for streaming services/CD.
I think the reality is that for most artists recording sound quality is not very high on their list of priorities. Touring to one live venue after another is their life. Recordings are something to sell with the other merch.

I think the reality is that for most artists recording sound quality is not very high on their list of priorities. Touring to one live venue after another is their life. Recordings are something to sell with the other merch.
Maybe, guess I'll just have to try a DSD player to see if it's the game changer that some say it is.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing