Coronavirus ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Im in afrika/ algeria at the moment for work .
Nothing going on here regarding the virus , there was a heat camera at the airport though , somebody suspicious was checked again with a laser thermometer.
I d better stay here for a while ;) , in europe its a different story

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
B708F036-B75A-4497-934A-3F486D6CB619.png

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Yesterday I posted this ...
"135,000 cases (a bit less) - 5,000 deaths (4,980)- 130 countries (127) /// confirmed (most certainly not accurate) ..."

Today: 156,000 cases (155,812), almost 1,000 more deaths (5,814), 149 countries and territories (22 more) ... and again those numbers aren't accurate...they are bigger, and much bigger in certain countries where testing is lacking and where info is censored or diminished to protect the tourism industry (money) and reputation.

¤ https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Just to emphasize the seriousness of a pandemic and what's coming up next like it is in Italy right now for example. Eventually our sense of humor we will lose all together, because this is no fun @ all.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
For you guys adamant that you shouldn't wear masks, go ahead please and don't wear them but please don't go out, don't visit your elderly parents or grandparents, it's just not responsible. The WHO is an organisation that relies on member states. It tries not to make statements that will cause chaos or supply chain issues.

Howie, you are right that WHO is relying on its main financial supporters.

I agree with you about the masks. When it comes to health of humanity there is no time and space to waste, we take smart actions and use common sense.
Our establishments, organizations, governments, ... should do the same.
After all, who takes charge of each person's life?

Reactions: howiebrou

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
It is very easy to criticize leaders and their responses in hindsight. I cannot imagine the pressure and weight of the decisions they are confronting these days.

You are certainly right Peter; it's not easy for anyone.
There is zero blame game here; that won't provide any cure to this pandemic.
Our elected leaders must act responsibly, quickly, take all measures, compassionately, decisively, make available all resources and money, shut down all mass gatherings, all flights, and much much more.
Us we do our best, we stay home and wash our hands.

I've watched my own Canadian Prime Minister, his wife, and address to our country, and I can relate 100%.

Reactions: Sablon Audio

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
All flights ,...... thank you north star .:oops::)
How am i gonna get home , .... ???

I think it's best you stay where you are; for your own good and for the good of everyone else.
In the best most positive way ...

For now, until the "storm" is over, which nobody knows when ...
If I was where you are I'd stay there, I'm not taking any plane, boat, train, etc.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
WHO apparently withdrew its advice that dogs cannot catch the virus from humans. Apparently the question remains open:

• What precautionary measures should be taken by owners when companion or other animals have close contact with humans sick or suspected with COVID-19?
There have not been any reports of companion or other animals becoming sick with COVID-19 and currently there is no evidence that they play a significant epidemiological role in this human disease. However, because animals and people can sometimes share diseases (known as zoonotic diseases), it is still recommended that people who are sick with COVID-19 limit contact with companion and other animals until more information is known about the virus.

When handling and caring for animals, basic hygiene measures should always be implemented. This includes hand washing before and after being around or handling animals, their food, or supplies, as well as avoiding kissing, licking or sharing food.

When possible, people who are sick or under medical attention for COVID-19 should avoid close contact with their pets and have another member of their household care for their animals. If they must look after their pet, they should maintain good hygiene practices and wear a face mask if possible.

https://www.oie.int/en/scientific-e...estions-and-answers-on-2019novel-coronavirus/

Reactions: NorthStar

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I fully appreciate that this is an answer to a completely different question, but does this global daily fatality statistic put the fatality risk of the virus in any kind of numerical perspective?

"Each year, 1.35 million people are killed on roadways around the world. Every day, almost 3,700 people are killed globally in road traffic crashes, involving buses, motorcycles, bicycles, trucks, or pedestrians. More than half of those killed are pedestrians, motorcyclists, and cyclists." (emphasis added)

https://www.cdc.gov/injury/features/global-road-safety/index.html

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
It is very easy to criticize leaders and their responses in hindsight. I cannot imagine the pressure and weight of the decisions they are confronting these days.
It would be just incredibly difficult to make potentially mass life and death choices and to lead in a time of global crisis and that is exactly that extra phenomenal weight of leadership at critical points in history that you mention Peter.

Great leadership can emerge in times like the world wars or when nations are in dire need. I hope this is exactly what we get.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Norman, is this from any scientific medical book of virus experts?

Cheap and safe to try...
https://www.hindawi.com/journals/av/2011/734690/. clinical study

https://future-world.com/mcatalog/cold-arrest-covid-19-testimonials/. testimonials

https://www.who.int/csr/sars/survival_2003_05_04/en/. Heat kills Sars-Corona

"The laboratory science on coronavirus survivability studies seems to speak with a single voice. Numerous researchers has come to the same conclusion. "Coronavirus is easily killed at 56° C. (133° F.) in less than 15 minutes." Here are a few. (There are many more.)

http://hindawi.com/journals/av/2011/734690/

http://who.int/csr/sars/survival_2003_05_04/en/

Biomed Environ Sci 2003 Sep:16(3):246-55

J Med Virol, 23 (3), 297-301 Nov 1987

Any "expert" choosing to dismiss these widely corroborated, peer-reviewed studies is left with an enormous burden of proof."

Reactions: NorthStar

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Maybe just a political decision to start testing, and being honest ;)
Nope....the explosion is real. You can see it in the hospital and the rate of contraction shows that it took off in early Feb.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I think that the most of the Mediterranean countries at some point had tried to suppress the numbers on their effort to avoid panic and save the multi billion tourism summer industry, hoping that the increased spring temperatures would vanish the virus.
Spain and Greece don't have those figures. Germany has bigger numbers and they are not big in tourism. Mediterrainian tourism is not big in winter either.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I fully appreciate that this is an answer to a completely different question, but does this global daily fatality statistic put the fatality risk of the virus in any kind of numerical perspective?

"Each year, 1.35 million people are killed on roadways around the world. Every day, almost 3,700 people are killed globally in road traffic crashes, involving buses, motorcycles, bicycles, trucks, or pedestrians. More than half of those killed are pedestrians, motorcyclists, and cyclists." (emphasis added)

https://www.cdc.gov/injury/features/global-road-safety/index.html

To add, copied and pasted straight off the CDC sight, in the USA,

Conclusion
CDC estimates that influenza was associated with more than 35.5 million illnesses, more than 16.5 million medical visits, 490,600 hospitalizations, and 34,200 deaths during the 2018–2019 influenza season. This burden was similar to estimated burden during the 2012–2013 influenza season1.

Come on guys relax and be smart. Look at the numbers, and yes I am aware its not over but find some levity, this is not Stephens Kings novel The Stand playing out here.

Looking for new numbers and stories all day long 24 hours a day is going to drive you insane and its not serving any purpose except to amplify unnecessary fear.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
It would be just incredibly difficult to make potentially mass life and death choices and to lead in a time of global crisis and that is exactly that extra phenomenal weight of leadership at critical points in history that you mention Peter.

Great leadership can emerge in times like the world wars or when nations are in dire need. I hope this is exactly what we get.

That leadership depends on all of us, not just few ...
Because no one knows exactly how to fight efficiently an invisible common enemy (deadly virus); not me, not you, not the Pope, not anyone because this is a new virus and there's no data.
They are gathering data as we speak, and they are working on a cure (vaccine) as we speak.

We sure could use the expertise of previous fighters and history.
We could use the examples of Asian countries in counteracting.
They have more experience than say North and South American continents on that matter.
...And of most European countries.

I think.

Last edited:

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
That leadership depends on all of us, not just few ...
Because no one knows how to fight an invisible common enemy (deadly virus), not me, not you, not the Pope, not anyone because this is a new virus and there's not data.
They are gathering data as we speak, and they are working on a cure (vaccine) as we speak.
Very salient Bob, it is also up to us to show qualities of good leadership within ourselves and our families as well as at work and within our community. These truly challenging times are when greatness can arise in us all and we can put away petty things and have lives of greater value. That is the potential open to us all, even in our smallest ways we can become greater.

Reactions: Al M.
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing