Coronavirus ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
So we can look forwards to you and GF singing from your balcony?

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
WTF... I'm trying to empty my wine cellar. Might not be the cure, but damn I'm having a good time!
At home we have three to four weeks of food security and 6 months of wine security... where am I going wrong here I ask? Doesn’t matter, that 98 Orlando St Hugo’s and the 2000 Hill of Grace are my great last stand solutions. Apocalypse be damned I was raised in Australian wine country.

Reactions: Bobvin

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
3BB66768-85B8-44D3-B3C5-4CD4DB401D5B.jpeg

assessor43

Nov 1, 2018
"Nobody knows how long this will last Tuckia, maybe couple months?
Probably more I'm afraid."

I have been informed by friends in the medical field that the life of viruses in most cases last between 30 and 60 days from the onset. That would mean about roughly mid May?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Not true, kids also "get" Covid-19, generally their symptoms are much less severe.

If you close schools, kids will not come into contact with anywhere near the amount of people who already have the virus. Thus much mess likely to bring it home to their Parens and Grandparents. If there is one seemingly universally agreed measure by health experts social distancing is the most important factor in reducing the spread if this virus.

This seems like a logical reply. Thank you.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Actually in London toilet rolls, hand sanitizer, and disposable face masks are available in stores.
So now you have the best live classical and jazz music scene in the world AND toilet rolls AND hand sanitiser. FFS y’all are livin the dream.

Reactions: Bobvin and bonzo75

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
"Nobody knows how long this will last Tuckia, maybe couple months?
Probably more I'm afraid."

I have been informed by friends in the medical field that the life of viruses in most cases last between 30 and 60 days from the onset. That would mean about roughly mid May?
The only issue here is we have a global population that is totally naive with respect to this virus so if we don’t control its spread it could last a while. Personally I don’t think it will. Countries who control it well will recover in a few months. Countries that don’t will kill off those susceptible and leave you with a population that whilst not immune doesn’t get particularly sick and therefore won’t be tested so it will recover.
The UK’s move really is thinking outside the box and probably driven by the fact that they know the NHS will be overwhelmed in 1-2 weeks unless they try something really bold.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
So now you have the best live classical and jazz music scene in the world AND toilet rolls AND hand sanitiser. FFS y’all are livin the dream.

The musical scene is now closed. I will no longer be able to listen live or on other people's systems

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
The musical scene is now closed. I will no longer be able to listen live or on other people's systems
Which of Danté's Circles are you now on?

Reactions: Lagonda and Bobvin

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
So, w $700bn being pumped into the US economy . . .

. . .

Marc, the Federal Reserve's intention of buying $700 billion in fixed-income securities is monetary policy, not fiscal policy. The General should please correct me if this is incorrect, but my understanding is that this $700 billion is to provide liquidity (as in lubricant) to the banking and financial system, not to the actual, productive economy. It takes off the table the concern that people will not be able to go to an ATM and take cash out of their bank accounts.

The fiscal stimulus which Americans are hoping the politicians agree to legislate and implement will be additional (other) funds which go directly into the pockets of people and businesses, and gets actually "pumped" into the real U.S. economy.

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
The only issue here is we have a global population that is totally naive with respect to this virus so if we don’t control its spread it could last a while. Personally I don’t think it will. Countries who control it well will recover in a few months. Countries that don’t will kill off those susceptible and leave you with a population that whilst not immune doesn’t get particularly sick and therefore won’t be tested so it will recover.
The UK’s move really is thinking outside the box and probably driven by the fact that they know the NHS will be overwhelmed in 1-2 weeks unless they try something really bold.
From the start of infection to the day people start to feel secure walking the street, in a well disciplined place, I think 6 months.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ok, so Japan 80s style economic non growth for the West? Forever? Borrow like there's no tomorrow? Make hay while the sun shines and interest rates are nr zero? Shut down every few years w Corona 2, 3, 4 etc? Load this debt onto Gen Z later lives?

Sorry if that's political, but is this a reasonable take?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Fiscal is spend from Treasury, monetary is from Fed to release cash by buying up bills. They can reverse this by selling bills and drying up the cash

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ok, so Japan 80s style economic non growth for the West? Forever? Borrow like there's no tomorrow? Make hay while the sun shines and interest rates are nr zero? Shut down every few years w Corona 2, 3, 4 etc? Load this debt onto Gen Z later lives?

Sorry if that's political, but is this a reasonable take?

Well if you ask Milton Friedman followers they will say let everything crash and reprice. Keynesian will say keep doing fiscal stimulus. Debate is older than analog vs digital

Last edited:
Reactions: Lagonda and Bobvin

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
From the start of infection to the day people start to feel secure walking the street, in a well disciplined place, I think 6 months.
In the UK, just in time for Black Friday.

Reactions: bonzo75

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Thinking outside of the box is fine if the outcome is affordable. Not so good if it leads though to many more of your population ultimately then dying because current understanding of this pandemic is still in the dark and if then your vulnerable end up actually inside of a box.

This great experiment may prove to be such a horrendously costly folly. Some dude sitting on a bleak set of steps abstracting and extrapolating this into some water in the bucket example is classic example of the accompanying academic hubris. These are the same guys who will then be demanding a bed in intensive care if these brilliant ideas fall into the nightmare of a far more complex and very un-simple and indiscriminate reality.

Surely there is some essential wisdom to defaulting to an immediately more safe and better trialled position and following the models of countries that have worked best so far and then exploring and responding to any second wave when that time presents itself after a greater understanding unfolds from current medical experience across the globe. We have nothing better to do this year than survive. This is the one great current human occupation.

I rather like our world better with the British still well and alive within it. They make such excellent comedy even when their weather is relatively rubbish.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I think this is the least we can do for the Greatest Generation.
Well, I've been watching the multi episode Vietnam doc, and soon The World At War. Talk about decision making. Good luck to the decision makers today.

Boris has dreamed of being King Of The World since he was 5. I'm his age, I just wanted a slide from my bedroom to the paddling pool in our garden.

Never would he have dreamed this would be his first order of business.
Good luck to him on the king thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing