Coronavirus ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some good news from Greece, it looks like that the drastic measures are working. the today new infections numbers have declined from 108 yesterday to 21 today!!! Let’s hope for the best for all the world

Italy, Iran, Spain and UK are not doing so well ...
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Last Friday there was less than 135,000 cases globally, less than 5,000 deaths globally, and 127 countries and territories affected by the Coronavirus.
So, in three days (this last weekend), well...you can see the results now.
And we all know that the number of global cases is most likely much higher.
The number of deaths? Unless some countries hide their dead, but that wouldn't be very smart.
The number of countries affected? That number is probably the closest to accurate...162 out of 195 total on the whole globe...only 33 more to go.

Last edited:
Mixed messages coming from Boris today. Now he's suggesting no contact w groups, avoid pubs/restaurants, work from home etc.

Whole household isolation of 14 days if a single inhabitant gets a cough.

But still no shutting of schools etc.

Imminent quarantining of 70+s for 8 wks.

So this suggests to me two things.

1 Boris still considers control of Covid-19 virtually impossible, but he can't say this publically, and it still plays to herd immunity idea.

2 the pincer-effect on NHS still means that uber demand on it must be left as late as possible...just in case there's a second wave this winter.

London apparently is riding the wave of infected civilians. Hospitality trade in the capital about to crash.

Last edited:
I think so, Bob.
Although, like Farage, he often drinks pints of Real Ale to show the common touch (useful as he is fluent in Latin and Ancient Greek).

Personally, the stress of this would make me down lighter fluid.

I suspect the Dow will not stabilize until it falls below 10,000.

I love wine...dry red from France.
I also like beer...lager from Belgium.
I'm a very moderate drinker. I'm moderate about everything in life.
Except googling ;)

i m flying back to europe tomorrow due to corona .
Company orders , they are afraid that after thursday all flights will be suspended
A client asked for a person to come work in peru , but that includes 2 weeks forced quarantine in lima first :confused::)
All foreigners entering the country have to

i m flying back to europe tomorrow due to corona .
Company orders , they are afraid that after thursday all flights will be suspended
A client asked for a person to come work in peru , but that includes 2 weeks forced quarantine in lima first :confused::)
All foreigners entering the country have to
And how is the health care system in
Peru ? :oops:

This crisis is maybe the most critical one re decision making, other than going to war. And as such, is a real test of leadership.

From what I've read, and it sounds reasonable, Covid-19 cannot be fully controlled/eradicated once it's in the general population. Boris's govt has pretty much taken this view, settling on the opinion that even if other nations' quarantining creates an earlier flattening of the curve, it will just peak again. There are already reports of a previous sufferer somewhere recovering and becoming symptomatic again.

If this is true, then this tactic of some peripheral crowds control, but allowing the virus to fully assimilate, and then deal w the worst suffering group of people w maximum focussed resources as late as possible in the year, COULD work. That's the hope. And hope is all it can be.

I think Boris will move fast now to quarantine oldies, esp those already health-compromised. Absolutely wrap these fragiles in cotton wool, and call on the nation to keep them connected.

If if IF...the vast majority get past 60% infection w moderate predictable results, and the focus group of oldies/compromised are kept as safe as possible for as long as possible, then when the inevitable rush on NHS demand comes, the idea is it can be handled way better than multiple waves.

Of course, the word "if" is doing some heavy lifting here Lol.

Boris also knows he's fighting for his job. Otherwise his King Of The World dream, well documented, goes up in flames.

Mixed messages coming from Boris today. Now he's suggesting no contact w groups, avoid pubs/restaurants, work from home etc.

Whole household isolation of 14 days if a single inhabitant gets a cough.

But still no shutting of schools etc.

Imminent quarantining of 70+s for 8 wks.

So this suggests to me two things.

1 Boris still considers control of Covid-19 virtually impossible, but he can't say this publically, and it still plays to herd immunity idea.

2 the pincer-effect on NHS still means that uber demand on it must be left as late as possible...just in case there's a second wave this winter.

London apparently is riding the wave of infected civilians. Hospitality trade in the capital about to crash.

Marc, the virus will go away, because I still have to travel over to listen to the Zus

Reactions: Vienna and Lagonda
I suspect the Dow will not stabilize until it falls below 10,000.

That's a fair guesstimate, but nobody can predict if it doesn't go below zero.

Except googling ;)

Lol, I can snap out of it in an instant. For now it's more than entertainment, it's real life between it and death. I'm going in town later on to get some milk and eggs and butter.
Toilet paper we're ok, twelve rolls should last us @ least couple months.
By then (May 16), life should get back to normal, or would it?
I don't need Google to find out, the grocery store is a good indicator.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lagonda
Marc, the virus will go away, because I still have to travel over to listen to the Zus
I'm invoking the Black Death to keep you out.

Reactions: NorthStar
Maybe it will go away if you play your Zu’s real loud ! o_O

Reactions: bonzo75
The idea (on the CD's website and elsewhere) that people with few or no symptoms (but who are infected) are not a major cause of infection spread is ludicrous on its face (based simply on epidemiologic theory), and now there is objective data from 2 countries that it almost certainly is a major source of infection.

The logical corollary to that is that we need to be testing a wide variety of people, particularly children and young adults; however, since our ability to test is severely limited, testing health-care workers and sick elderly adults will max out our capabilities. Although this may be important for triage, it contributes absolutely nothing to stopping the spread of the virus, nor to the ability to accurately estimate the prevalence of infection.

Reactions: howiebrou

Have you heard the one where they can play real loud in a 40ish by 20ish room with amps called Nats?

Reactions: Lagonda
That's a fair guesstimate, but nobody can predict if it doesn't go below zero.

Lol, I can snap out of it in an instant. For now it's more than entertainment, it's real life between it and death. I'm going in town later on to get some milk and eggs and butter.
Toilet paper we're ok, twelve rolls should last us @ least couple months.
By then (May 16), life should get back to normal, or would it?
I don't need Google to find out, the grocery store is a good indicator.
12 rolls last me about 2 weeks, but i’m full of shit :rolleyes:
Be careful out there Bob !

The most conservative and tried and tested methodology would be to do what those countries whose cases began several months ago have tried. Some have had reasonable success, some less so. For it to work the health system must be robust or the ability of a country must be great enough to survive and tolerate a large number of deaths. China did it. Suffered greatly but there the country has more of an ability to mobilise the people than some other places. I'm not sure if the UK could do it and that might be why they are trying something novel, albeit at great risk. I just spoke to a medical friend in the UK who basically said that testing has ceased. They don't care if you're infected. In fact much the opposite as long as you don't get sick. A frightening prospect. We'll see how they do in a couple of weeks although it will be hard to judge if they don't test.

The UK Govt has today announced that it will be stepping up testing in the next few days

Lagonda, playing Voivod, Magma and The Mars Volta, plus a smattering of Bartok, Stravinsky, late 60s free period Coltrane and Albert Ayler, at full tilt brings this virus to heel. I've never felt healthier. And deafer.

Reactions: djsina2
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing