Daconomics and my DAC upgrade conundrum

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China
It is not easy enough for me. What is your take? These are the parameters: 50db attenuation, 96/24 source, volume control in DSP with 64 bit floating point processor. Do I od do I not loose information?

I already explained in the post you quoted. You're dithering so you're losing information, by definition.

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China
Just out of curiosity, if you had $10K to spend (used or new), what "optimised multibit converter" would you get?

My own design since I haven't seen a commercial one which is sufficiently optimized for me - they all fall down in at least one area I consider important - pass-band flatness and out of band signals being two essentials which need attention. This design comes in substantially below $10k though so I'll spend some of the remainder on a set of Lloyd's Richter recordings.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
This design comes in substantially below $10k though so I'll spend some of the remainder on a set of Lloyd's Richter recordings.

Hah! Enjoy them if you can find them! it took me a few months, but i am sure you can find another set!

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
My own design since I haven't seen a commercial one which is sufficiently optimized for me - they all fall down in at least one area I consider important - pass-band flatness and out of band signals being two essentials which need attention. This design comes in substantially below $10k though so I'll spend some of the remainder on a set of Lloyd's Richter recordings.

I am not discounting the possibility you have built a phenomenal sounding DAC, but I am trying to stay away DIY projects mainly because there is no second hand market for these DAC. Nonetless, I am intruiged by your design so please point me to any information available on your project.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Update, OK. I have confirmation there will be a digital volume control in the EMM labs DAC2X through firmware. That does it for me. I'm rolling the dice and am going all in. First, the painful part: parting with a healthy chunk of cash. Next the frustrating part: waiting for the unit and burning it in. Then there will be bliss - I hope... Let the countdown begin.

Last edited:

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Did you ever listen to the Aesthetix Pandora?

I tried to make arrangements with a dealer friend of mine to get one in for audition but it did not work out. He probably not have a unit in yet himself. So the answer is no.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
EMM Labs DAC2X is in the house and up and running. With only a few hours on it, I spend a hour (post debate) listening. Wow! I had anticipated I might end up switching between the PWD MKII and the DAC2X to hear subtle differences. Not so. The EMM Labs beats it hands down.

Initial tasting notes: More dynamics, "bigger" sound, clearer vocals, and somehow there just appears to be just more "going on" musically.

This is the proverbial piece of gear that makes you want so to rediscover your music collection.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing