Dartzeel vs. Ayre

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Lotsa good amps on that list. I've been intrigued by what I've heard out of the Luxman amps on the Vivid speakers. What did you think about them on the YGs?
The Luxman's were the least impressive amps I've had. They really had no dynamics with YG. I noticed Stereophile took the m-800a off the recommended list this month. I agree with that. It's a poor performer into low impedance. I am not saying the Luxamns aren't good on other speakers. With the vivid, they are great; just not the YG.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
It's not a question of liking or not liking the Anat III. I believe the Anat III is the best speaker I've ever heard and gives me the greatest resolution imaginable. I am simply looking to extend the performance of the Anat III by finding the best amplifier match. I am currently using the BMC M1 monoblocks. The BMC is, far and away, the best amp I've heard on these speakers so far. I have had the following amps in my room with the Anat III:

Luxman M-600a; mono and stereo
Luxman M-800a
Rogue Medusa
ASR Emitter II, blue, gold boards
Dartzeel CTH-8550
Ayre MX-R
Rowland 625
BMC M1 monoblocks

I've got a pretty good idea what type of amp works best with my speakers. That's why I am interested in hearing the Krell 600e. I know some folks don't like Krell on their speakers. That's fine. I am just interested in making my system sound the best I can. I am sure the Soulution 710 would be a nice match, but I doubt it would be any more dynamic than the BMCs.

Dallas,

i said nothing and intended nothing negative toward the Anat III, and sorry if what i asked somehow inferred that. it was not my intent.

that is an impressive list of amps you have there.

good luck on finding the perfect amp for you and the Anat III.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
The Luxman's were the least impressive amps I've had. They really had no dynamics with YG. I noticed Stereophile took the m-800a off the recommended list this month. I agree with that. It's a poor performer into low impedance. I am not saying the Luxamns aren't good on other speakers. With the vivid, they are great; just not the YG.

Interesting, doesn't sound like they'd work with the low load of an estat then either.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
It appears these speakers require super high current SS amplfiers to drive them properly. I read the review of the Anat REF II Pro speakers in SP and that is what JA stated based on their phase angle and capacitive angle combination and I assume your speakers have similiar amp requirements based on how many of them you have run through and not been happy with. Your BMC M1 amps aren't rated into impedances less than 4 ohms which would indicate a less than stellar match for your speakers. You need a real bar-brawler for your speakers.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
It appears these speakers require super high current SS amplfiers to drive them properly. I read the review of the Anat REF II Pro speakers in SP and that is what JA stated based on their phase angle and capacitive angle combination and I assume your speakers have similiar amp requirements based on how many of them you have run through and not been happy with. Your BMC M1 amps aren't rated into impedances less than 4 ohms which would indicate a less than stellar match for your speakers. You need a real bar-brawler for your speakers.

Mark

I bet your Krell KSA-300 would drive the Anat lll without effort and with great bass

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
What amp is Yoav Geva using to run his Anat lll at shows

I remember Krell, Soulution, and Tenor. Best sound IMHO was with the Tenor amplifiers, with the Soulution a close second.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Mark

I bet your Krell KSA-300 would drive the Anat lll without effort and with great bass

Steve-Mine is the KSA-250, but I have no doubt it would drive them with no problem. Some amps are like bantam roosters-they can puff their chests out and kick a little ass. The KSA-250 is a real bar-brawler and will clean house. Just as important, these were designed with the Krell 'old school' sound meaning they are warm and well balanced and not on the lighter side of bright as some people have complained about their later gear.
Given their current market price and even factoring in having it sent back to Krell for a recap and going over, it has to be considered a tremendous bargain in terms of the sound quality and power they bring to the table.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I remember Krell, Soulution, and Tenor. Best sound IMHO was with the Tenor amplifiers, with the Soulution a close second.

Should we assume that the Burmester supporters are now sleeping? :)

mep

Apr 20, 2010

Aren't the Tenor amps tube?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

I have always heard good things about the sound of Tenor amps...i just recall a big questionmark over reliability of their older products, and then the company restructured and older warranties were rumored not to be honored by the new/restructured incarnation of the company. I read this in several blogs/sites but never tested it myself due to lack of available product to hear. Is this true? And today?

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I have always heard good things about the sound of Tenor amps...i just recall a big questionmark over reliability of their older products, and then the company restructured and older warranties were rumored not to be honored by the new/restructured incarnation of the company. I read this in several blogs/sites but never tested it myself due to lack of available product to hear. Is this true? And today?

i owned Tenor OTL's, and then the big 300 watt Hybrid mono's 'back-in-the-day'. in fact; i was the first one to pair the Tenor OTL's and Kharma speakers (in late 2001), which went on to become quite the combination. unfortunately the OTL's had their issues (they tended to granade and take out a ceramic mid range on the Kharma). the big mono's never got fully sorted out before they were introduced and had their own issues.

the new Tenor will fix the old amps but it will cost ya.

there was never any question about the sound, they are still one of my very favorite sounding amps, both the OTL, the old hybrid monoblocks, and the new ones.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Since the Anat speakers need lots of current to drive them, I don't how any tube amp can stand up to them. That's like sending a quarter horse out to run in the Belmont.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Since the Anat speakers need lots of current to drive them, I don't how any tube amp can stand up to them. That's like sending a quarter horse out to run in the Belmont.

They were driving the YG with the Tenor hybrids.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing