Dartzeel vs. Ayre

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
I recall watching a video (or slide show) of the Tenor hybrids being assembled. They looked exceptionally well built.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I've liked the Tenors since I first heard them 12 or so years ago at Lars Fredel's on the Verity speaker. One quibble I have though is that I think they're slightly rolled off on the top end. Ergo I found them to sound good on the Hansen and YGs, two speakers that I found a little forward with other amps at shows.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Heard it as a stereo amplifier. Actually I keep forgetting about it, when I mention other amps I've heard, since it was so mediocre...
Basically it's a big PA amp. No HF to speak of, all LF and punch, no finesse...
You're much better off with the Krell :D The evo402e (stereo amp) was one of the better amps that passed through here...

alexandre

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Thanks. I am still struggling to hear a Krell evolution amp.

Heard it as a stereo amplifier. Actually I keep forgetting about it, when I mention other amps I've heard, since it was so mediocre...
You're much better off with the Krell :D The evo402e (stereo amp) was one of the better amps that passed through here...

alexandre

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Have you considered Pass XA.5 amps? Those will deliver a lot of current, the .5 version even more into low impedances.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I don't like the look of pass gear; no black also. Most importantly, I wouldn't consider any pure class A amp because of the higher noise floor. Ive made great effort to have a system with an otherwise low noise floor. I don't want to throw bits out because I am using a noisy amp.

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
What about the Boulder 2060? It's class A but dead quiet. It will drive anything on the planet. Now it comes in black.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Some people say great thinks about the Classe CAM 600. Never had the chance to hear it, but it seems to fulfill your requests.

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
I don't like the look of pass gear; no black also. Most importantly, I wouldn't consider any pure class A amp because of the higher noise floor. Ive made great effort to have a system with an otherwise low noise floor. I don't want to throw bits out because I am using a noisy amp.

Hello,

Could you explain your position on this a bit more , in respect to class-a ...?

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I talked to McKiegan at Krell. He sounds like a great guy. I will get a chance to hear the 600e monoblocks sometime next month. I will keep everyone posted on my thoughts.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

What about the Boulder 2060? It's class A but dead quiet. It will drive anything on the planet. Now it comes in black.

Agree with LaserCD...Boulder 2060 is super dead quiet. Like OFF quiet. Gryphon too. Decay is stunning. Noise floor is certainly lower than anything i can remember hearing. Both pure Class A.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Hello,

Could you explain your position on this a bit more , in respect to class-a ...?
Maybe I shouldn't have picked on Class A amps. :D

I would say that I am not a fan of amps in general that don't have at least a low enough noise floor to fully resolve a 24bit digital file. For example, if you look at JA's test on the Pass xa30.5, the A-weighted (best case) noise measurement was like -87db. OTOH, if you look at the Soulution, the noise comes in at -96.8db down. Assuming all other things equal, the greater the bit depth of the recording, the greater the dynamic range and lower the noise floor of the recording. If the amp doesn't have a low enough noise floor, then those extra bits in a 24 bit file are basically not heard.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Maybe I shouldn't have picked on Class A amps. :D

I would say that I am not a fan of amps in general that don't have at least a low enough noise floor to fully resolve a 24bit digital file. For example, if you look at JA's test on the Pass xa30.5, the A-weighted (best case) noise measurement was like -87db. OTOH, if you look at the Soulution, the noise comes in at -96.8db down. Assuming all other things equal, the greater the bit depth of the recording, the greater the dynamic range and lower the noise floor of the recording. If the amp doesn't have a low enough noise floor, then those extra bits in a 24 bit file are basically not heard.

i'm no techie so just took this from websites. Boulder 2060 S/N Unweighted: 135db.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com

alexandre

I'm surprised to hear that about the Viola Bravo. We had a bunch of amps to work with when we set up the Genesis Dragons in Hong Kong, including all the Goldmunds, Nagra, etc. The Bravo sounded the best by far with scintillating highs and great finesse. It had punch and dynamics as well. On the Genesis Dragons, I thought that the Bravo was even better than the Class A Viola Legacy, and much better than the Goldmund Telos.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
On the Genesis Dragons, I thought that the Bravo was even better than the Class A Viola Legacy, and much better than the Goldmund Telos.

Now that's not very hard... :D
IIRC, I had the Sonus faber Amati Anniversario back then, not that hard of a speaker to drive. Sure, it's not a speaker known for its HF extension, but still...

alexandre

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Now that's not very hard... :D
IIRC, I had the Sonus faber Amati Anniversario back then, not that hard of a speaker to drive. Sure, it's not a speaker known for its HF extension, but still...

alexandre

Guess you don't think very much of the Telos either :D

The last amplifier I drove the Dragons with was the Burmester 911 Mk3 in monoblock, and I didn't think that the Bravo gave very much away. Of course, we were using the superb CH Precision transport/DAC with the Bravo, and the Burmester was in an all-Burmester system.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing