Dartzeel vs. Ayre

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I've decided to home audition the Viola Bravo II amp and the Krell 600e monoblocks. I should have both next month. I may start a new thread if folks are interested.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I've decided to home audition the Viola Bravo II amp and the Krell 600e monoblocks. I should have both next month. I may start a new thread if folks are interested.

I am

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Did we ever dispel the myth that Class A amps have a higher noise floor than Class A/B amps or any other class of amps for that matter?

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Maybe I shouldn't have picked on Class A amps. :D

I would say that I am not a fan of amps in general that don't have at least a low enough noise floor to fully resolve a 24bit digital file. For example, if you look at JA's test on the Pass xa30.5, the A-weighted (best case) noise measurement was like -87db. OTOH, if you look at the Soulution, the noise comes in at -96.8db down. Assuming all other things equal, the greater the bit depth of the recording, the greater the dynamic range and lower the noise floor of the recording. If the amp doesn't have a low enough noise floor, then those extra bits in a 24 bit file are basically not heard.

class-a amps have reduced or elimitnated notch distortion over ab, something that can be measured but not easy to hear. in practice -87 vs -96 isnt going to mean squat even with hirez sources, thats what the volume control is for ;) you dont listen to music at 5, 10 or 50 db at 80-100 db listening levels its totally inperceptable. the best you'll see with LP is -60 to 70db down (and someone will dispute that) yet its compared to hirez digital all the time and comes out on top in many cases (in all cases if you're an analog stalwart :p).

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Not sure about the possible additional noise floor of class-A amps (it could be true), but the best amps I have had or heard are preciesly designed on that topology.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Not sure about the possible additional noise floor of class-A amps (it could be true), but the best amps I have had or heard are preciesly designed on that topology.

me neither and me too

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

me neither and me too

Ditto...my favorite amps of the last 20 years are: Forte 4, Krell FPB 600, Gryphon Antileon, Boulder 2060, Gryphon Colosseum.

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
i'm no techie so just took this from websites. Boulder 2060 S/N Unweighted: 135db.

That is insanely low noise measurement, personally I would want to see that verified by a third party. Isn't that greater than 32 bit resolution? Also the Boulder amp does not have that much heatsinking for a stereo amp that is running 600 watts pure class A...

Alright I found this quote from a Positive Feedback review:

Operation is pure Class A, though with dynamic load-sensing, thus allowing a flexible response to a variety of signals and requirements. This means that the 2060 doesn't have to be slurping maximum power at all moments to be ready to provide a Class A envelope for playback—a very good thing.

Does this mean it is sliding bias like some Krell amps? I'm not sure it's fair to call it a "pure class A" amp if that is so. Though Boulder themselves do not use that term in their literature.

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
Maybe I shouldn't have picked on Class A amps. :D

I would say that I am not a fan of amps in general that don't have at least a low enough noise floor to fully resolve a 24bit digital file. For example, if you look at JA's test on the Pass xa30.5, the A-weighted (best case) noise measurement was like -87db. OTOH, if you look at the Soulution, the noise comes in at -96.8db down. Assuming all other things equal, the greater the bit depth of the recording, the greater the dynamic range and lower the noise floor of the recording. If the amp doesn't have a low enough noise floor, then those extra bits in a 24 bit file are basically not heard.

Thanks for clarifiying your position , for some reason I never saw your response when I had originally replied. Are you able to hear the difference with the lower noise floor between amplifiers when playing 24bit ..?

Does this mean no Tubes on 24bit material ..... :)

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
That is insanely low noise measurement, personally I would want to see that verified by a third party. Isn't that greater than 32 bit resolution? Also the Boulder amp does not have that much heatsinking for a stereo amp that is running 600 watts pure class A...

Alright I found this quote from a Positive Feedback review:

Does this mean it is sliding bias like some Krell amps? I'm not sure it's fair to call it a "pure class A" amp if that is so. Though Boulder themselves do not use that term in their literature.

Hmmm , plateau Bias .....:)

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
The Soulution 710 is a keeper. There's nothing I have heard that is like it. The Soulution really controls the YG without making things sound articial like a class D. It is pretty close to perfect. Strangely enough I have to thank Jonathan Tinn and many others that counseled me in he right direction. Thank you!

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
How did the ASR Emitter 2 handle the YG speakers?
I liked the ASR very much. I had an issue with my unit that was driving me crazy so I gave it back to the dealer. When it worked, it was very good. The sound is a little more on the tube side of neutral. The Soulution is much better.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
On my speaker, the Mx-r was very disappointing. I don't know why. All I can say is that the bass disappeared and tipped the tonal balance toward the treble. I couldn't listen to it longer than a day and sent it back. They are very beautiful though.

I used to have Dartzeel. Dartzeel is a great amp but not suited for all speakers. When I had YG Carmels, the CTH-8550 was the perfect mate. But when I got the Anat III, the Dartzeel had to go. I still miss it sometimes, but it lost its dynamics with the Anat III.

Hi don't want to argue what you heard, I am sure you did....but those MXR's take a few days to warm up and if the amps had less than 5-800 hours on them, I'd say the same thing....you may not have heard them at their best. Also if you plugged em into a power conditioner (they don't like my Shunyata which is great everywhere else..)

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Dallas justice , great comparison good luck with the purchase , unfortunately no boulder try out yet , i am curious what you think , i had krell evo 400s before , and the boulder 1060 is a step better , kinda like going from hifi to music , also extremely powerfull , the boulder sounds more in control/effortless although its " only" 300 watts.
More neutral and more music , i never heard the darts unfortunately.
Its class AB and its audiojewelry
SN ratio - 127 db, and it sounds like it too, a lot of detail comes through

Last edited:

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
comparing amplifiers is not easy without considering loudspeaker and room.
the matching of speaker and amplifier is a big factor.

both Ayre designer (Charles Hansen) and Dartzeel designer are well regarded.

the list of my favorite solid-state amplifiers:
Vitus Audio MP-M201
CH Precision M10
TAD M700
Symphonic Line 400
Dartzeel 108
Ayre MX-R Twenty
Lamm M1.2
Robert Koda K160
Neodio A2
ASR Emitter II
Yamaha B2
Sugden A21
Firstwatt SIT

and maybe Spectral Audio DMA-400

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing