David Karmeli’s Bionor/Lamm/AS-2000 Audio System

Hi Michael,
Wired in series, the first bass acts as a pre-impedance. easier to drive for the amp so you increase overall quality (qts). This means that the bass plays with more sound pressure at its resonance frequency(fs). This means that the decay occurs later at a lower frequency. Unfortunately, as always, there is a disadvantage: the impulse speed becomes slower. Only you can decide whether you still like it.
Cheers
Stephan
The old Infinity IRS Beta and IRS V had an electronic crossover that had a Q adjustment, which could make the bass dry as sawdust or dripping wet and bloomy. Was fun to dial in the bass transients and decay with this adjustment…however a Qts between 0.6 and 0.7 was where I settled and where most good box designs end up.

Hi Michael,
Wired in series, the first bass acts as a pre-impedance. easier to drive for the amp so you increase overall quality (qts). This means that the bass plays with more sound pressure at its resonance frequency(fs). This means that the decay occurs later at a lower frequency. Unfortunately, as always, there is a disadvantage: the impulse speed becomes slower. Only you can decide whether you still like it.
Cheers
Stephan

Impulse is not slower, it's just less controlled. Q is a measure of damping. So when you hit it with signal it's a measure of how quickly it settles electrically or mechanically (electrically it can be a measure of how much an amplifier's feedback reigns it in even at impulse to retain the frequency). There's more to QES/QMS with frequency, but that is the basics. Yes if you have high Q you can play past resonant frequency (lower), as it does not naturally dampen that signal to nothing. QMS essentially only works at and below resonant frequency (mechanical damping).

The old Infinity IRS Beta and IRS V had an electronic crossover that had a Q adjustment, which could make the bass dry as sawdust or dripping wet and bloomy. Was fun to dial in the bass transients and decay with this adjustment…however a Qts between 0.6 and 0.7 was where I settled and where most good box designs end up.
Qts 0.5- 0.7 is good for bassreflex/sealed
Qts 0.2-0.3 is good for horn
Qts 0.9- 1.2 is good for open baffle you lost too much sound presure without housing in bass.
Looks in specs kl 405 driver02 (1).jpg
I made a cautious estimate of the frequency curve, which would be difficult without on-site measurement. 2x Bass bionor parallel (green) (yellow) series wired woofer 6-8hz lower.20231128_165333.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: FLHX84
Impulse is not slower, it's just less controlled. Q is a measure of damping. So when you hit it with signal it's a measure of how quickly it settles electrically or mechanically (electrically it can be a measure of how much an amplifier's feedback reigns it in even at impulse to retain the frequency). There's more to QES/QMS with frequency, but that is the basics. Yes if you have high Q you can play past resonant frequency (lower), as it does not naturally dampen that signal to nothing. QMS essentially only works at and below resonant frequency (mechanical damping).
Thanks,I need to learn English better, we're basically on the same wavelength.;)

Reactions: Folsom and FLHX84
The Klang 405's are higher than typical for a horn but as mid horns it doesn't seem to cause any issues. There isn't much for loading, it's mostly focus.

The Klang 405's are higher than typical for a horn but as mid horns it doesn't seem to cause any issues. There isn't much for loading, it's mostly focus.
The Horndriver KL L302 driver produces a lot of sound pressure from 500 Hz to 15 kHz. They actually wanted to mount the two KL 405s in an infinitely large baffle (open baffle). There you will notice that the sound pressure was incorrect and it was not possible to transmit it at the right time.
Remember that the speaker was built for the cinema, not for home. So they killed two birds with one stone. Higher sensitivity below 500 Hz over 100 dB/1 watt and time adjustment with the Horn for bass driver. These are speculations on my part. To be sure, you would have to measure it.

Reactions: FLHX84
Reactions: Carlos269
Michael, that is truly a fabulous looking office and system. If you’re taking requests for music for a video, I would love to hear Peggy Lee’s “Fever“, Or anything by Ella Fitzgerald, and a string quartet.
Hi Peter,

here is Peggy Lee… String quartet will follow the next days, any special wish?…

Best regards

Michael

Reactions: DasguteOhr
Hi Peter,

here is Peggy Lee… String quartet will follow the next days, any special wish?…

Best regards

Michael

Thank you very much Michael. I appreciate you making the recording, and so quickly. Please tell me about the digital player off of your phone?

For a string quartet, how about Beethoven Middle Quartets, or anything really. I just want to hear some strings. Could you also share a recording of anything you want on that turntable?

Thank you very much Michael. I appreciate you making the recording, and so quickly. Please tell me about the digital player off of your phone?

For a string quartet, how about Beethoven Middle Quartets, or anything really. I just want to hear some strings. Could you also share a recording of anything you want on that turntable?
Hi Peter,

Apple Music file played through iPhone’s digital out into a Topping DAC and then into th CAT preamp and the two V69…

Will try to make the other requested videos in the next few days…

Michael

Last edited:
Reactions: PeterA
Hi Carlos,

here are the links…

Best regards

Michael

Michael, thank you for taking the time and the effort in making these videos. I really appreciate it. The system has that vintage sound of the era and it’s nice to see that you are enjoying these historically significant components many decades later. Again, thank you! I appreciate you posting these. No further requests from my side.

Here is another video of Peggy Lee's Fever on ddk's Bionor system. These big paper woofers really do a great job of presenting bass.

I got the album but cannot say I like it. Elvis did a version that is better. In fact there are many version I like more. I think the Peggy Lee album is a dud imo.

It can sound just fine but the music is just meh.

I got the album but cannot say I like it. Elvis did a version that is better. In fact there are many version I like more. I think the Peggy Lee album is a dud imo.

It can sound just fine but the music is just meh.

Hi Folsom, People have different tastes. I like this recording and took the LP to Utah and made the recording when visiting David. The purpose of the video is just to show another example of a Bionor playing the same recording that FLHX84 made a video of on his Bionor system.

Some lurking trolls haunted by the specter of ddk will find my post and have trouble containing themselves.

I am just saying you can listen to it online but if you go seek the album like I did, don't expect much from it imo.

There are so many good albums used in videos that I like, that are worth seeking.

Hi Folsom, People have different tastes. I like this recording and took the LP to Utah and made the recording when visiting David. The purpose of the video is just to show another example of a Bionor playing the same recording that FLHX84 made a video of on his Bionor system.

Some lurking trolls haunted by the specter of ddk will find my post and have trouble containing themselves.
Better cover your ankles Peter ! :eek:

@FLHX84
Congratulations on a fantastic sounding system; I too have a vintage horn based system. How did you decide to use the Telefunkin amps in your set up?

The ghost of ddk lurks amongst us.

• Haha
Reactions: tima and Lagonda
The ghost of ddk lurks amongst us.

Indeed. It is a thread about his system originated by a visitor. It is nice that another Bionor system is also being discussed. There are some interesting similarities and differences between the videos. There aren’t many places to hear these speakers and there are many people who own them.

Reactions: tima
I miss ddk's contributions. I guess Carlos has been voted off the island for a while, too. Even with their entanglements, they entertained me.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing