East Anglia, UK
Reactions: andromedaaudio

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
...we have spoken...and the tears have flowed...and the beer was downed...and the bills kept coming in...

• Sad
Reactions: howiebrou

rando

Sep 22, 2019
I thought entire reason nobody puts their hi-fi in the basement was walls made of con. ..

Ah, giving up your stereo. Good move there.

Don C

Jul 20, 2013
USA
i’m having a little trouble understanding your post, but right now I’m just waiting for my new turntable to arrive so I can set up the new tonearms and see how the sound from my system is changed. From there I will start thinking about what comes next. Time will tell.
Hi peter,

Nice detailed write up on your one week visit with David.

Could you also write up a detailed assessment of "natural Sound" playback at David's home, and contrast that with what you experience in your own home?

You have had your new turntable for some time now.

Thanks

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Hi peter,

Nice detailed write up on your one week visit with David.

Could you also write up a detailed assessment of "natural Sound" playback at David's home, and contrast that with what you experience in your own home?

You have had your new turntable for some time now.

Thanks

Thank you Don. There is a link in my new signature to a thread I just started about a new system which is the direct result of my visit to Utah. The turntable was just the beginning.

Reactions: MadFloyd

Don C

Jul 20, 2013
USA
Thank you Don. There is a link in my new signature to a thread I just started about a new system which is the direct result of my visit to Utah. The turntable was just the beginning.
I just read your thread.Great write up. ENJOY THE MUSIC !
WOW! Radical change from your previous system.
There is another lover of tube SET/ HORNs with a Micro 8000 Turntable in Boston.
That is ROMY the CAT. Roman Bessnow Good Sound Club website .
He is very sarcastic at times, but seems to have a very sophisticated system that I would love to listen to.
The Micro 8000 is not cheap. 2Juki in Hong Kong has a used one without arm for $40,000 on Ebay right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: MadFloyd

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
There is another lover of tube SET/ HORNs with a Micro 8000 Turntable in Boston.
He is very sarcastic at times, but seems to have a very sophisticated system that I would love to listen to.
The Micro 8000 is not cheap. 2Juki in Hong Kong has a used one without arm for $40,000 on Ebay right now.
Romy has said on his site that the best mid bass he's ever heard is from a pair of Vitavox corner horns.

Reactions: hairyderriere

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Reactions: hairyderriere

cal3713

Nov 2, 2020
youtube.com
Thought people reading this thread might be interested in this ebay ad I ran across looking up information on David's speakers: "Pair of Europa Junior Klarton Horn for Klangfilm Project" - https://www.ebay.com/itm/264816657406?hash=item3da84d83fe:g:pzQAAOSwHv1d8OhI

No drivers, so it's a big project. Wish I had the situation where I could play the game. I've loved everything I've read about David's big ones.

Found the Lamm CES 2003 reports for his system too: https://lammindustries.com/homepages/show-reports-ces-2003/

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

Thank you Don. Radical change for sure. Visiting David to hear this turntable exposed me to a completely new music presentation. I have been reading Romy the Cat's blog/website. He seems to be quite a character, and there is some interesting information over there. I have also seen that Ebay ad for the SX 8000 II. It has been available for a while now. I bought my extra rear Micro armboard from 2Juki.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark

And that one looks a little banged up, Peters is absolutely mint, like new ! :)

Reactions: bonzo75 and ddk

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
David’s two daughters play four instruments. While there, I heard the piano, the harp, and the cello. There is a local old drum in one corner of the living room. One evening I heard a daughter in her high school musical. The house is filled with music, real and live sound upstairs and reproduced and natural sound downstairs. Fascinatingly, while standing in the hallway outside of the listening room, and down the stairs from the practicing string quartet, I was mesmerized by how similar the sound was. Even sitting in front of the system or in front of the live performance, the sound, and the engagement were similar. Of course the main system did not sound the same, how could it, but it had all the elements of what I heard upstairs.
Listening to the videos I hear only a passing similarity between the string quartet and any of the system recordings. Perhaps if there had been a system recording of a small chamber group the differences would be less apparent? In any case, comparing the Beethoven piano and the Holst song (the 2 closest in instrumentation) with the string quartet, even with the compromised phone audio the live performance sounds so much more real to me. Or perhaps it is just a good example of why a YouTube video of a phone recording is a poor way to compare any high-quality audio ("live" or a reproduced recording)

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Great it is The AS2000. I can pretty much change all equipments I have but not this tt and the sme arm.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing