DCS Vivaldi

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
NAS drive up and working. Off the bat sounds better than USB flash key. Which sounded better than USB / MacBook

How does it compare with CDs played through the Vivaldi Transport?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
NAS drive up and working. Off the bat sounds better than USB flash key. Which sounded better than USB / MacBook

Hi jfrech,

What is the model & config of the NAS you are using?

My friends are using Synology 415+ or 916+ because one of the four HD/SSD can set as a read-only cache. This improves sonic performance.
Also, 415+ or 916+ have large storage capacity yet the power-supply units are external. My friends made external linear psu for them which further improved the sonic performance.

Cheers,
CK

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin

Still getting a handle on things. My Transparent Ethernet cables arrived at my dealer, so will install those later today. I'll report back in a few days as things settle down. I can say it's closed the gap...just not sure how much yet.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Hi jfrech,

What is the model & config of the NAS you are using?

My friends are using Synology 415+ or 916+ because one of the four HD/SSD can set as a read-only cache. This improves sonic performance.
Also, 415+ or 916+ have large storage capacity yet the power-supply units are external. My friends made external linear psu for them which further improved the sonic performance.

Cheers,
CK

Hi a DS716 II+. With Western Digital Red Pro drives (x2). I thought I'd try this config first. Then if I really got into it, I'd buy a 4 bay drive and do what you mention above. And move this drive be a back up to the main RAID. I may do the RAM upgrade on this DS716 II+ first and consider a different power supply. Anyone have any power supply ideas?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
From the DCS site

FAQ: What are your reference network systems?

Our network products are currently developed and tested using the following.
NAS drives: QNAP TS412, Synology 216+, Netgear ReadyNAS Duo v2.
UPnP software: Twonky, MinimServer, Asset.

What are Twonky, MinimServer, Asset and what are you using? :confused:

Enatai252

Mar 2, 2013
Pacific NW
From the DCS site

FAQ: What are your reference network systems?

Our network products are currently developed and tested using the following.
NAS drives: QNAP TS412, Synology 216+, Netgear ReadyNAS Duo v2.
UPnP software: Twonky, MinimServer, Asset.

What are Twonky, MinimServer, Asset and what are you using? :confused:

These are server apps that reside in the NAS and are responsible for indexing and serving up the digital files to the DCS streamer (renderer) My QNAP NAS comes with Twonky preloaded however since I use the NAim HDX to rip music and act as the server....I have turned Twonky off.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
These are server apps that reside in the NAS and are responsible for indexing and serving up the digital files to the DCS streamer (renderer) My QNAP NAS comes with Twonky preloaded however since I use the NAim HDX to rip music and act as the server....I have turned Twonky off.

Thanks. Does the choice affect sound quality?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin

I am guessing it does. I'll try a few over time. For now I started with Minimserver. So I have a Synology DS716 II+, Western Digital Red Pro 3tb drives. Apple Airport Extreme, and Transparent Ethernet Cables. About $1500 total. The Synology and Airport plugged into one outlet on my Shunyata DPC-6

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

I run both MinimServer and Twonky simultaneously on my QNAP NAS, and I haven't heard significant differences between the two of them, in terms of sound quality. I don't use it on dCS, though...

The differences between the two are mostly in performance and usability. Unless you want to tweak and configure, MinimServer would be the best option, as it has server-side searches (much faster), while Twonky has a better user interface for configuring miscelaneous options.

number95

May 14, 2014
I was just gonna write now I tested f5 for dsd and pleased with it! Now saw your comments. Damn, these filters are so confusing:))

So far stick to Filter 1 for DSD. To my ears the most accurate presentation of instruments including dynamic range and most appropriate proportions at the soundstage.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hi a DS716 II+. With Western Digital Red Pro drives (x2). I thought I'd try this config first. Then if I really got into it, I'd buy a 4 bay drive and do what you mention above. And move this drive be a back up to the main RAID. I may do the RAM upgrade on this DS716 II+ first and consider a different power supply.
Anyone have any power supply ideas?

Here are some photos of the products of a popular PSU workshop in Hong Kong. The boss is Kenneth Lau :

101836cnn8dmgq2jbg7tfn.jpg
101934pbmpl2z2pxlc45x2.jpg
101818lrmrmr4vzua4ruvn.jpg

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
So far stick to Filter 1 for DSD. To my ears the most accurate presentation of instruments including dynamic range and most appropriate proportions at the soundstage.

Interesting. I know this comes down to what your ears and your system likes best. No filter is "best." I did find I liked different filters after things were broken in...curious after a few weeks if you find the same.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Here are some photos of the products of a popular PSU workshop in Hong Kong. The boss is Kenneth Lau :
Wow, you can tell he put time and attention into build quality.

number95

May 14, 2014
Interesting. I know this comes down to what your ears and your system likes best. No filter is "best." I did find I liked different filters after things were broken in...curious after a few weeks if you find the same.

Sure John. I agree each one may perhaps outperform at different systems. I understand there are some characteristic differences though. For instance, it looks like Filter1 has the most improved dynamic range perhaps at the risk of more prominent high frequencies. If the rest of the system also makes highs a bit forward, that may lead to some harshness or create some listening fatigue. There are some other more relaxed filters which also have phenomenal midrange perhaps at the expense of a bit limitation at dynamic range and transient response. While writing that, checked my user manual for what dcs says about filters again. If I am not wrong, what the manual suggests is filter 1 should provide the maximum dynamic range (not equivalent to best for sure) while having the maximum out of the band noise. Others are compromised filters between out of the band noise and dynamic range.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011

Your dCS stuff isn't even broken in yet...wait 4 more days and then start talking about filters and Map settings. You have no idea whats in store for you in 4 more days.It'll be like a light switch was turned on..

number95

May 14, 2014

Your dCS stuff isn't even broken in yet...wait 4 more days and then start talking about filters and Map settings. You have no idea whats in store for you in 4 more days.It'll be like a light switch was turned on..

Thanks Kingsrule, let us see how it goes. What is your preference for filters may I ask?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Did any one compare the DCS Vivaldi DAC single ended output with the balanced one?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin

After a few days of NAS drive playback. Just went back to the transport. It's more analog like...more interesting to listen to. Just spinning a red book cd via upsampler...not a SACD yet. Both sound good. One just sounds a little better right now.

I have not done the upsampler update yet...so this can change soon...

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
What model of iPad or iPod are people using with their Vivaldi's?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing