DCS Vivaldi

I'm going to order a Synology NAS drive tomorrow. Set up Ethernet into my upsampler vs USB keys. This is part in prep for my UPS upgrade, also just ordered 2 Transparent Ethernet cables for NAS and router...

If you are planning to locate the NAS in your audio rack, I strongly recommend a fanless model. I don't know the Synology line but I recently got a QNAP TBS-453A. It is fanless and I loaded it with 4 1GB SSD's. I used to have a regular NAS in the rack and the fans made too much noise. I don't hear any SQ different between rotating discs and SSD but I figure the SSD to be cooler running and more reliable.

I'm going to order a Synology NAS drive tomorrow. Set up Ethernet into my upsampler vs USB keys. This is part in prep for my UPS upgrade, also just ordered 2 Transparent Ethernet cables for NAS and router...

Can you tell us which Synology model you are getting? Looked at my usual hardware supplier and found too many models.

Make sure you get an i3 or i5 processor. Now or in the future you will need the processor power......The new QNAP's with 4 bays +2 for ssd's are the way to go (TVS 682)

If you are planning to locate the NAS in your audio rack, I strongly recommend a fanless model. I don't know the Synology line but I recently got a QNAP TBS-453A. It is fanless and I loaded it with 4 1GB SSD's. I used to have a regular NAS in the rack and the fans made too much noise. I don't hear any SQ different between rotating discs and SSD but I figure the SSD to be cooler running and more reliable.

Are you addressing this NAS http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/network/94402-qnap-tbs-453a-nasbook/? It looks it has a fan.

Can you tell us which Synology model you are getting? Looked at my usual hardware supplier and found too many models.

This is what I ordered...for better or for worse:

Synology DiskStation DS716+II 2-Bay NAS Enclosure
Western Digital x2 3TB Red Pro NAS Storage OEM Internal Hard Drive

Also 2 Transparent ethernet cables...

I was going to start off with it on the audio rack...if the fan bothers me...i see some aftermarket fans or a may order a longer ethernet cable...

This is what I ordered...for better or for worse:

Synology DiskStation DS716+II 2-Bay NAS Enclosure
Western Digital x2 3TB Red Pro NAS Storage OEM Internal Hard Drive

Also 2 Transparent ethernet cables...

I was going to start off with it on the audio rack...if the fan bothers me...i see some aftermarket fans or a may order a longer ethernet cable...

I have the same setup, expect I have the original DS716+. I did do the ram upgrade to: Crucial 8GB Single DDR3L 1600 MT/s (PC3L-12800) SODIMM 204-Pin Memory - CT102464BF160B. The DS716+II appears to use the same. Can be found on amazon for <$30.

I don't have the NAS near my audio gear, but do have it near me in the home office. I can hear the drives spinning during time machine backups over any fan noise present and even then its really quite.

Thanks - the Sinology is easily available locally. Do you know if there is any advantage in terms of sound quality using SDD storage with the Vivaldi system, including the upsampler?

Thanks - the Sinology is easily available locally. Do you know if there is any advantage in terms of sound quality using SDD storage with the Vivaldi system, including the upsampler?

Hard to say here. I am considering getting a SSD drive just to compare. Could be that with more memory in the NAS...it's mute...or the new upsampler board maybe buffering it into memory to...I've heard the ethernet cables make a nice improvement.

Hard to say here. I am considering getting a SSD drive just to compare. Could be that with more memory in the NAS...it's mute...or the new upsampler board maybe buffering it into memory to...I've heard the ethernet cables make a nice improvement.

Can you have a SSD drive in one bay and a WD 3T disk in the other?

DCS test their products with both Sinology and QNAP NAS's at the factory and do not seem to have any preference.

Can you have a SSD drive in one bay and a WD 3T disk in the other?

DCS test their products with both Sinology and QNAP NAS's at the factory and do not seem to have any preference.

Yes...I am considering a SSD drive in one bay also...

Just got my Vivaldi Transport and DAC. Initial impressions, I am really amazed. The first 1-2 hours were certainly not the case but after 10-12 hours, things really started to move. Just experimenting with filters and some other settings, preferred 6V to 2V+a bit vol control via Ref 10 pre. For CD, preferred DXD over DSD or DSD^2, preferred MAP1 over MAP2 or MAP3. Using DAC as master clock, transport slaved to DAC clock. Preferred so far Filter6 for DXD while still experiencing DSD filters for DSD playback.

Can anyone share his own views for filters? Which filter settings do Vivaldi owners prefer for DXD and DSD? Really appreciate any comments.

Just got my Vivaldi Transport and DAC. Initial impressions, I am really amazed. The first 1-2 hours were certainly not the case but after 10-12 hours, things really started to move. Just experimenting with filters and some other settings, preferred 6V to 2V+a bit vol control via Ref 10 pre. For CD, preferred DXD over DSD or DSD^2, preferred MAP1 over MAP2 or MAP3. Using DAC as master clock, transport slaved to DAC clock. Preferred so far Filter6 for DXD while still experiencing DSD filters for DSD playback.

Can anyone share his own views for filters? Which filter settings do Vivaldi owners prefer for DXD and DSD? Really appreciate any comments.

Congrats!

So far for DSD recordings, Filter1 seemed much better to my ears I presume it is also a question of rest of the system.

Congrats!

Cheers. So far a big smile on my face.

They keep getting better. Will wait 150-200 hours before a critical listening and comparison to my analog.

So far for DSD recordings, Filter1 seemed much better to my ears I presume it is also a question of rest of the system.

Have you tried DSD Filter 5? That's by far my favorite. Before the v2 update I went from F1 to F3. F3 was more relaxed. F1 more crisp. But could be breakin related on your end...as you get more time on the clock...(sorry for the clock pun :) I wonder if your filter choices change...

Have you tried DSD Filter 5? That's by far my favorite. Before the v2 update I went from F1 to F3. F3 was more relaxed. F1 more crisp. But could be breakin related on your end...as you get more time on the clock...(sorry for the clock pun :) I wonder if your filter choices change...

I was just gonna write now I tested f5 for dsd and pleased with it! Now saw your comments. Damn, these filters are so confusing:))

Hi number95,

Big Congrats!
I have a frd who are using the same ARC Ref10 and Vivaldi transport+dac.

If you are slaving the transport to dac, the clock cable affects the sonic performance very much.
The original dCS clock cable is mediocre.
Pls try a better BNC cable such as Black Cat Cable Digit75 or Nordost Vahalla.
The sonic performance is huge!

CK

Hi number95,

Big Congrats!
I have a frd who are using the same ARC Ref10 and Vivaldi transport+dac.

If you are slaving the transport to dac, the clock cable affects the sonic performance very much.
The original dCS clock cable is mediocre.
Pls try a better BNC cable such as Black Cat Cable Digit75 or Nordost Vahalla.
The sonic performance is huge!

CK

Hi CK,

Thank you.

I have Transparent XL Bnc for clock connection.

NAS drive up and working. Off the bat sounds better than USB flash key. Which sounded better than USB / MacBook

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing