DCS Vivaldi

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin

caseyse

Dec 13, 2015
What model of iPad or iPod are people using with their Vivaldi's?

I purchased the large iPad Pro 12.9 solely to operate the Vivaldi, with their keyboard. dCS indicated I should not wait for their Vivaldi App Android version in 2016 or anytime soon.

This is my first Apple purchase (I'm a Linux/Android user). I have read that the iPad might be challenged with future iOS upgrades beyond V.10 having only 2GB of RAM, so the 4GB RAM in the Pro 12.9 "might" be supported a little longer. Knowing Apple, they will likely pull future support in a couple of years even if the Pro 12.9 is capable of processing a newer iOS.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I use an iPad Air.

Jfrech-did you get the 2.0 umpsampler upgrade yet. If so....thoughts?

I get mine just before Labor Day

Not yet. Hoping in the next 2 weeks ... Looking forward to it for sure ...

ksalno

Mar 29, 2015
What model of iPad or iPod are people using with their Vivaldi's?

I actually have a variety. My work iPad is an iPad Pro 12 which I use when working from another room. But I also have an older iPad and an iPad Air setup with all of my music control apps and leave at least one of them charging in my audio room at all times. They all work fine with the Vivaldi app.

I recently got the upgrade to my Upsampler, so I can now use the latest Vivaldi app. It isn't my favorite UX but it is serviceable once you get used to it and it has control features for the Upsampler and DAC that no other app can do. I do find the new app not very stable, it crashes on a somewhat regular basis, so it still needs some time to work out the bugs.

When I don't use the Vivaldi app, I either use JRemote or Roon Remote as my control app. I use Accourate for room correction. I am using JRiver as the server, I set it up to run the convolution directly and then I can stream directly to the Upsampler bridge via ethernet. If I use Roon Server (e.g., to stream Tidal), then I use the Acourate Convolver for room correction and thus am limited to using the USB connection. I don't actually hear a big different between the two. I also have a PS Audio DSD and there is a much bigger difference between the USB and ethernet connections on that DAC than what I hear with the Vivaldi. I've also tried various popular USB cleansers on the USB input to the Upsampler and haven't found any that are effective. They either make no difference or degrade the sound quality.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Not yet. Hoping in the next 2 weeks ... Looking forward to it for sure ...

My VUP went back yesterday. Should have it upgraded by end of next week...

Enatai252

Mar 2, 2013
Pacific NW
My VUP went back yesterday. Should have it upgraded by end of next week...

I think you will be very happy. I have about 2 weeks on mine. It may take some time to adapt to the new app UI....I have the Rossini so was already working with it. Music streamed via Ethernet from my server improved in terms of resolution and what I call presence. Performers gained more definition and I feel like the I receive more spatial clues from the recording venue especially from live jazz or acoustic selections. So far I believe the DAC 2.0 was still bigger improvement but the upsampler plus is well worth the cost and time to upgrade. Listening to lots of piano, female acoustic and Horns (Coltrane and Miles). Incredible

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I think you will be very happy. I have about 2 weeks on mine. It may take some time to adapt to the new app UI....I have the Rossini so was already working with it. Music streamed via Ethernet from my server improved in terms of resolution and what I call presence. Performers gained more definition and I feel like the I receive more spatial clues from the recording venue especially from live jazz or acoustic selections. So far I believe the DAC 2.0 was still bigger improvement but the upsampler plus is well worth the cost and time to upgrade. Listening to lots of piano, female acoustic and Horns (Coltrane and Miles). Incredible

Received my VUP (Vivaldi Upsampler) today for it's plus update (I think it's called that). Just a few hours on it, it's better, no if's an's or but's about that. Cool that I can now do native DXD and native 2xDSD right from the hard drive via ethernet. What is just killer initially, is doing 2xDSD off the transport via F5. Damn...sweet and very nice. Been listening to analog only the last few days until this showed up. It's really erasing any digital vs analog gaps on any well recorded redbook cd's.

I'll post more to come after a few days of listening.

My Transparent Opus Isolators shipped today...just in time for fall listening...AC units not whining 24x7 now we're into October in Texas !

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Listening to Gerry Mulligan, "What is there to say" Redbook, F5 off the VUP 2xDSD output to the DAC at DSD F5 right now.

It really remarkable how its presenting the cymbals and the brushes. More resolution, more realistic images (more 3d like and instruments separated better), seemingly able to feel the movement of the brush strokes in a way not ever noticed before (I have this in Redbook and 45 RPM vinyl). But at the same time warm, relaxed, it's less aggressive but more energy. Nice trick dCS has pulled off...

It's impressive dCS provides these upgrades to Vivaldi owners. Talk about building brand/dealer loyalty !!!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Now that the DCS stack has 3 weeks burn-in I have to say that what impresses me more is the very good work it does playing my CDs.

It constantly impresses me with its life like characteristics and perfect control of dynamics - with much more energy than any other digital system I have experienced until now.

I have now played with several amplification systems using it, and although when used with solid state amplifiers I preferred it going through a tube preamplifier, when using powerful tube amplifiers I was not so sure any more - there is a freshness and immediacy in the direct mode that brings instruments directly in your room in the direct mode. But still a lot to learn about this great system.

As a sad note to spoil my enjoyment I am still unsuccessfully trying to install minimserver in the Synology 416J ...:mad:

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
As a sad note to spoil my enjoyment I am still unsuccessfully trying to install minimserver in the Synology 416J ...:mad:

This was very straight forward to me. Click on the java8 app first in the package center/developer tools. Then click on minim server in package center/multimedia ..and it's done. Feel free to PM me offline and I'll see if I can help...On my DS716+II was as easy as a iPhone app...

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Listening to Gerry Mulligan, "What is there to say" Redbook, F5 off the VUP 2xDSD output to the DAC at DSD F5 right now.

It really remarkable how its presenting the cymbals and the brushes. More resolution, more realistic images (more 3d like and instruments separated better), seemingly able to feel the movement of the brush strokes in a way not ever noticed before (I have this in Redbook and 45 RPM vinyl). But at the same time warm, relaxed, it's less aggressive but more energy. Nice trick dCS has pulled off...

It's impressive dCS provides these upgrades to Vivaldi owners. Talk about building brand/dealer loyalty !!!

Try DXD, F3, MAP3 on the USampler It's much more natural
I imagine with the soft top end of the Rockports your DSD setting would compensate if necessary but for rebook the above settings are best.....

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
This was very straight forward to me. Click on the java8 app first in the package center/developer tools. Then click on minim server in package center/multimedia ..and it's done. Feel free to PM me offline and I'll see if I can help...On my DS716+II was as easy as a iPhone app...

I did the same - Java8 went perfectly. However when trying to install mimiserver from the package center it asks me to upgrade Java8 and stops! I have tried resetting from zero and installing again and the problem persists. Unfortunately I have no experience with Linux.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I did the same - Java8 went perfectly. However when trying to install mimiserver from the package center it asks me to upgrade Java8 and stops! I have tried resetting from zero and installing again and the problem persists. Unfortunately I have no experience with Linux.

mine is asking me to update java8, i better not...could be a java bug...have you emailed synology support? I'll you..the network input is pretty special in it's own right...

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Try DXD, F3, MAP3 on the USampler and F3, MAP3 on doc. It's much more natural
I imagine with the soft top end of the Rockports your DSD setting would compensate if necessary but for rebook the above settings are best.....

I would never characterize my Rockports as a soft top end. Incredibly revealing and but not aggressive. So far I am liking the 2xDSD better than DXD. But this can change over time and if there is any break in with the new network board...I do have a few native DXD files that I only play back in DXD...pretty spectacular too.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
mine is asking me to update java8, i better not...could be a java bug...have you emailed synology support? I'll you..the network input is pretty special in it's own right...

Using an alternative java8 solution, not the one coming with Synology NAS, I managed to install Minimerver. The DCS aplication now sees the server MinimServer[musica] (musica is the volume name) but shows No entries. I have created a folder called classica where I have some music files. Do you know how can I can get the DCS application to see the folder classica?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Using an alternative java8 solution, not the one coming with Synology NAS, I managed to install Minimerver. The DCS aplication now sees the server MinimServer[musica] (musica is the volume name) but shows No entries. I have created a folder called classica where I have some music files. Do you know how can I can get the DCS application to see the folder classica?

In minimserver did you rescan after you added files to the folder? This is done on the settings screen ... and has to be done every time you add files. Then click the status button to make sure minim restarted.

I'm assuming you entered your file folder address on this same screen after installation ?

Other than that - the dCS app just found it for me. (Assuming your routers are upnp compliant)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
In minimserver did you rescan after you added files to the folder? This is done on the settings screen ... and has to be done every time you add files. Then click the status button to make sure minim restarted.

I'm assuming you entered your file folder address on this same screen after installation ?

Other than that - the dCS app just found it for me. (Assuming your routers are upnp compliant)

Thanks a lot - just did the Rescan and it shows the files now!
BTW, where did you learn about this need to Rescan? Is there any quick guide for ignorant DCS users?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Thanks a lot - just did the Rescan and it shows the files now!
BTW, where did you learn about this need to Rescan? Is there any quick guide for ignorant DCS users?

I think I learned the same as you. Tried it. Got frustrated and someone told me that trick...

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Why are u guys messing with java8 rescans, etc?
Roon end point for dCS Rossini and Vivalidi/Upsampler 2 will be here any day and I can tell you its awesome......

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing