Ddk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I expect you to be a Steve apologist
were it so, Steve would likely be surprised. we've had our differences. i just read what Steve wrote. was it not true?
but this response tells me you don't understand the issues at play. There is more than a single-sided perspective to all of this.
please explain if it's relevant.

Reactions: hogen

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
If the forum software has modern access control, then any of its objects should be governable via permissions.

Via access control, could moderators:
-- prevent two or more participants from addressing one another for a cooling off period, or
-- prevent access to the thread in question for those in heated dialog, or
-- put the afflicted posts in a private msg and send the perpetrator's there to finish their disagreements
-- and other options.

(Hint for KeithR: mediation)

There are lots of ways to address conflict beyond the heavy-handed protocol the owners/moderators adopt. Warn-and-wait for compliance then suspend/ban is crude, people being people. Unless the aim is humiliation or punishment. The conflict in this issue is long forgotten, but the consequences of how it was dealt with will be here for a long time. Time to look for other ways.

Last edited:
Reactions: shakti

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
If the forum software has modern access control, then any of its objects should be governable via permissions.

-- prevent two or more participants from addressing one another for a cooling off period, or
-- put the afflicted posts in a private msg and send the perpetrator's there to finish their disagreements
-- and other options.

There are lots of ways to address conflict beyond the heavy-handed protocol the owners/moderators adopt. Warn-and-wait for compliance then suspend/ban is crude, people being people. Unless the aim is humiliation or punishment. The conflict in this issue is long forgotten, but the consequences of how it was dealt with will be here for a long time. Time to look for other ways.
Not bad ideas. Remember, the moderators are not paid and have full time real jobs elsewhere. Your creating hours of work. Do you have a solution for the manpower required to implement process such as you note.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Not bad ideas. Remember, the moderators are not paid and have full time real jobs elsewhere. Your creating hours of work. Do you have a solution for the manpower required to implement process such as you note.

You know much more about the moderators than I.

I see no real issues here with the functionality done in software.

What is it worth to you to prevent, or at least try to prevent, the loss of key contributors?

Too many people here are reactionary. Quick to question, find fault or doubt, but slow or dull on proactivity. What I would like to see are attempts at problem solving and positive contributions.

Reactions: SCAudiophile

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
What exactly would you like to know? If someone reports a post we generally respond back to that poster to explain our actions.

Or, are you looking to know that JoeABC was banned for x days because he did this and that?
I'd really like to know how measured you moderators are in making your decisions why a ban is issued on a member

Based on several of your posts I really doubt u get it.......

Reactions: PeterA and tima

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I'd really like to know how measured you moderators are in making your decisions why a ban is issued on a member

Based on several of your posts I really doubt u get it.......

When issues arise the 3 of us discuss things via text or in a moderator thread. Sometimes the discussions take hours. We only take action when all 3 are in agreement. Otherwise we do nothing.

So, saying that “I don’t get it” really has no meaning since none of us take unilateral action. That is something we agreed upon.

But tell me, what have I posted which indicate to you that “I don’t get it?”

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Oh dear me!--this thread is growing legs faster than Analog Vs Digital ;) --what should have been just a stand in the naughty corner for 3 days has turned into an outpouring of angst/urge to pontificate /blame/woe/sarcastic quips/good show/ bad move/etc /etc:p!
One takes their stance --the tribes have spoken( apologies to Survivor!)-Yes even to a serial fence sitter like Moi --its pretty obvious the "camps"

Taking in all the scenario presented, while David will admit a certain abrasiveness in some postings his knowledge here has indeed been of extreme usefulness to many of you--deep down he knows his craft that comes from experience and a time when hands on in the game and street nous got the results that demanded perfection-Kudos to him.

An aside I had chuckle at some of the chat posted :p -in the distant past when I was Davids age I behaved just like him on the early days of other forums -- got reprimanded /banned/threatened/tarred and feathered!-- and hey!--I'm still kicking on.

Steve and Ron have, I'd honestly say the most respected US Audio forum and the moderators get my vote--to those of you that have not felt the ire of the Mods on other Audio forums --WBF is a catwalk--trust me!

So for what it's worth I'm sorta of the opinion if something piques his interest David may re enter the den--I think it would be beneficial myself.

BruceD

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
There have been some interesting proposed solutions to automating moderation. As far as I know none of them are supported in the software but that is up to Ron and Steve to confirm and/or implement changes.

I have a novel idea. How about if people re-read the term of service and just follow them. Then we won’t need any moderators because I can tell you, moderation is no fun. We do it voluntarily as a favor to Ron and Steve since they do not want to moderate. A good day is when no posts are flagged.

Also, remember, moderators do not read 95% of the posts on WBF since we don’t go looking for issues. 99% of what we act on are reported by other users. I have been a moderator for 4 months and have never reported a post. So, other people clearly want stuff moderated or they wouldn’t report it.

In 4 months there have been 4 warnings to 3 people. 2 were to the same person and 1 each to 2 others. It isn’t as though this is common. In fact, it is rare.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
When one enters a friend’s social club one accepts the rules of the club — especially if the rules are few and simple, and especially if it’s a dear friend. If one enters the club and chooses to get into a fight and gets thrown out by not one bouncer but a unanimous committee of bouncers, how is that the friend’s (the host’s) fault?

I genuinely don’t understand why any of the foregoing analogy is controversial.

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
When one enters a friend’s social club one accepts the rules of the club — especially if the rules are few and simple, and especially if it’s a dear friend. If one enters the club and chooses to get into a fight and gets thrown out by not one bouncer but a unanimous committee of bouncers, how is that the friend’s (the host’s) fault?

I genuinely don’t understand why any of the foregoing analogy is controversial.
It might be a little strained if certain fights were allowed. If you bought a gun to a knife fight. You broke the rules. The error of opinion must be tolerated. Civility must be maintained.

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
The members give the forum its value.
100% agree
We learn from those members who are willing to share their greater knowledge and experience with the rest of us.

100% agree, I think we should try to back David , David is expert and in all the world very few Audiophiles have this level of experience/knowledge , we should respect him

Last edited:
Reactions: Lagonda and PeterA

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
I joined this forum without reading the term of agreement. Now that Steve and dminches pointed out some of them. I no longer want to share and participate.
So much of our digital life involves ' click here to agree before proceeding ' and it's so much information we tend to push forward without reading. So I get it, perhaps a feeling of 'hey wait a minute...you own my content?!'. If we read carefully the terms of all the apps on our phone bet same feelings would arise :)

I will miss your special way of getting to the heart of a matter very much.

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
Steve gave the answer, the only one that matters, David did not want to be moderated. no one made him tell Steve that. who knows all the reasons he left, only the final one was this.

David was never going to let anyone tell him what to do. ever. a bad thing. no, just a thing.

this is nothing new. 20+ years ago Romy the Cat did the same thing. he refused to be moderated in any audio forum, so went and did his own. now he is master of that forum. no one can tell him anything. i assume he is happy.

and those of us who are ok being moderated can choose from various forums where we have to live with that.
Mike
excuse me for my comment, I am peaceful and I do not like hurt any audiophile but :
If you want to learn more you should Respect smart/expert/professional audiophiles like Romy the Cat or David.
high end world is full of non-sense information spread by magazines and also many audiophiles and only very very few Audiophiles like David or Romy the cat help us to have better sound/knowledge.

The expert members give the forum its value.

Last edited:

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
100% agree

100% agree, I think we should try to back David , David is expert and in all the world very few Audiophiles have this level of experience/knowledge , we should respect him
Respect is something someone has to earn. Respectful behavior towards other members with different opinions is in that regard one of the key elements.

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
Respect is something someone has to earn. Respectful behavior towards other members with different opinions is in that regard one of the key elements.
Audiocrack
Peace, respect and love all are important to have better world but finally we are here to learn from each other. I think David changed WBF forum to a better place for me and leaving here is not good at all

Reactions: tima

Chop

Aug 9, 2020
England
Mike
excuse me for my comment, I am peaceful and I do not like hurt any audiophile but :
If you want to learn more you should Respect smart/expert/professional audiophiles like Romy the Cat or David.
high end world is full of non-sense information spread by magazines and also many audiophiles and only very very few Audiophiles like David or Romy the cat help us to have better sound/knowledge.

The expert members give the forum its value.
Amir, I'm afraid I disagree with your post. You mention Respect for Romy and David (my bold), implying we as WBF should put up with however David wants to express himself. That's an interesting concept which I fundamentally disagree with. I think David's opinions are valuable and interesting to many (Including me) but IMO, his style of posting regularly borders on the abusive if you have the temerity to have a different opinion. If not abusive it quickly becomes disrespectful. Should that be acceptable? From anyone?

This thread is fascinating.... Its taken six pages of hand wringing over a simple question: whether WBF has the right to moderate OR whether it should stop moderating certain people in order to keep them here. IMO the latter way descends into chaos, because one standard for some and one (higher?) standard for everyone else would never work.
So IMO, OF COURSE we need the civility standards which come from moderation. Of course there will be times when people don't like the moderation but that's normal too. My only concern with that moderation is that we should expect the same standards from everyone, individual or manufacturer, financial contributor or otherwise, and apply those standards consistently.

I was told years ago in a business context that if you don't set standards you get them anyway, they will just be ones you didn't want. There are some forums in the UK which are pretty much without moderation and trust me, its not a direction you want to go in. It's a real shame he has gone but nothing is worth the degradation of standards that could have come from the steps "necessary" to keep him.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
There have been some interesting proposed solutions to automating moderation. As far as I know none of them are supported in the software but that is up to Ron and Steve to confirm and/or implement changes.

No one made suggestions about automating moderation. Kingrex said that alternatives to the current approach would be time consuming. Not if that is done with software options to enable alternatives to the current approach while still requiring human judgement. Have you no interest in ways to moderate conflict beyond the big stick approach of warn and ban?

-- and other options.

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
Chop

I am not against peaceful world but what i expect from WBF admins (Ron and Steve) is managing the problem without making bigger problem.
look at over 6272 posts by David , he is not new to this forum and he shared many interesting information in this forum. I ask Ron and Steve why he should leave here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing