Denafrips product owners please fall in

Blake

Jun 28, 2018
Hi, welcome to the forum @Jaytor! Congrats on the Gaia purchase. I prefer i2S input with both of my Denafrips DAC's but of course experiment and see what you think. There are no rules and we all hear differently and have our own sonic preferences. I think I2S sounds more open and airy with a larger, more well-defined sound stage. Of course this could be system dependent.

HDMI cables can be a bit finicky. My Gaia has worked with all HDMI cables (audiophile and generic) but my Iris DDC only seems to work with a generic HDMI. My Tubulus Argentus and Blue Jeans HDMI's work for a little bit between the Iris and Venus 2, then noise takes over. I am still trying to figure out why. The Argentus is very full-bodied while still having good detail. I think it balances nicely with the Denafrips DAC's in OS mode, slow filter.

I do like the Argentus. I had a Revelation Audio Labs HDMI which was defective, sent back for a replacement and I have been waiting for the replacement cable for around 3 months. Supposedly the Revelation is exceptionally detailed, but not as full bodied, but right now, I'd just say it is very silent sounding, like there is no cable, because, there is no Revelation cable in my system.:(

If the Revelation never shows up, I'm quite happy with the Argentus and don't plan to do any more experimenting.

Edited to add further detail.

Last edited:

Jaytor

Dec 22, 2020
OR, USA
I've had my Gaia for a little over 24 hours. I've got it connected to my Terminator using i2s with a generic 3ft HDMI cable. Even with limited time and a cheap cable, I'm seriously impressed. The sound is clearer with more detail, imaging is sharper, and bass seems to have more texture and weight.

The Gaia is connected directly to my Roon ROCK server (fanless NUC8i7 with LPS) via AQ Diamond USB. NUC is connected to my router through an EtherRegen, also with an LPS. Before the Gaia arrived, I was using a Bryston BDP-2 (with upgraded IAD) connected to the DAC via AES.

I've just ordered a Tubulus Argentus 0.75m HDMI cable. Can't wait to see what it can do.

Reactions: Koso and Abyss Man

alvin1118

Nov 2, 2015
Singapore
www.vinshineaudio.com
Good to hear, Jay. Awesome! Enjoy the new sound!

I am a visual guy, picture paints a thousand words :)
Gaia Terminator.jpg

Koso

Aug 31, 2020
Trnava, Slovakia
Hi all. Here is my small review of Venus II DAC:

First, let me explain why I decided to try Venus II. I was quite happy with my previous DAC in my setup (Simaudio Moon 380D dsd), but when I added Denafrips Gaia as DDC between Moon and Aurender streamer last year, something happened. I was aware of fact, that DDC can improve sound quality (as my former DDC Matrix audio X-SPDIF2), but this time it was GREAT update sonically, not subtle as with Matrix. For details see my review of GAIA on Denafrips web (Nov 9, 2020 post). After good experience with GAIA I was very curious what Denafrips DAC could do with sound of my setup. I decided to try Venus II model, which seemed to be not fair rival to twice as priced Moon 380D, but who knows…

2A87E006-9314-4DF1-B506-BB10A3CF20BD.jpeg

Built quality:
Built quality of Venus II is great (and I expected this as GAIA owner). Aluminum housing is nicely finished with no sharp edges and minimum visible screws, quite hefty for the size. Front panel buttons have accurate, firm tactile feel. Brightness of LEDs on the front panel is just right. Number of inputs is great, I do like two AES/EBU inputs, as this is my preferred input so far and I have bunch of decent quality AES/EBU cables to test... The only feature I am missing is remote control.

Sound quality:
As always, my critical listening and comparison began after I was sure that unit is properly burned-in, which, in this case took about three weeks of non-stop playback. All my evaluation of sound quality applies to NOS mode, balanced output to amp and AES/EBU input from GAIA (I do have brand new I2S HDMI cable, but it is not burned in yet, so it would be not fair comparison to other inputs).
Sound is very detailed, micro and macro dynamic are great, soundstage is believable wide and 3D rendering of good recordings is best I have ever heard in my listening room. Timbre of acoustic instruments is accurate, human voices are very natural with real focus. Bass is controlled and goes very deep. Mids. are sweet (although not as sweet as on Moon DAC) and high frequencies are detailed and crisp but not harsh. Overall sound character in my setup is quite neutral, not too bright or too soft. Just right. Or take it this way. Bright recording sounds bright, dull recording sounds dull, but good recording sounds unbelievable real!

Comparison to Moon 380D dsd:
Moon 380D dsd is great DAC with almost no apparent flaw, but overall sound is quite soft compared to Venus II. In fact, after several weeks of listening to Venus, too soft. Venus II has better macro dynamic, bass has better punch and goes slightly deeper. High frequencies are in par, but again Moon has slightly softer presentation. Soundstage on Venus is little bit deeper and more realistic. The only thing, which Moon does better in my setup are mids. Moon can render mid frequencies with unique sweetness, which is hard to describe. But that’s it. I have to say that Venus II is (at least in my setup) better DAC!

Conclusion:
Venus II DAC represents exceptional value for the money. Great sound and built quality can compete with much more expensive converters.

Abyss Man

Jun 17, 2019
Hi all. Here is my small review of Venus II DAC:

First, let me explain why I decided to try Venus II. I was quite happy with my previous DAC in my setup (Simaudio Moon 380D dsd), but when I added Denafrips Gaia as DDC between Moon and Aurender streamer last year, something happened. I was aware of fact, that DDC can improve sound quality (as my former DDC Matrix audio X-SPDIF2), but this time it was GREAT update sonically, not subtle as with Matrix. For details see my review of GAIA on Denafrips web (Nov 9, 2020 post). After good experience with GAIA I was very curious what Denafrips DAC could do with sound of my setup. I decided to try Venus II model, which seemed to be not fair rival to twice as priced Moon 380D, but who knows…

View attachment 73872

Built quality:
Built quality of Venus II is great (and I expected this as GAIA owner). Aluminum housing is nicely finished with no sharp edges and minimum visible screws, quite hefty for the size. Front panel buttons have accurate, firm tactile feel. Brightness of LEDs on the front panel is just right. Number of inputs is great, I do like two AES/EBU inputs, as this is my preferred input so far and I have bunch of decent quality AES/EBU cables to test... The only feature I am missing is remote control.

Sound quality:
As always, my critical listening and comparison began after I was sure that unit is properly burned-in, which, in this case took about three weeks of non-stop playback. All my evaluation of sound quality applies to NOS mode, balanced output to amp and AES/EBU input from GAIA (I do have brand new I2S HDMI cable, but it is not burned in yet, so it would be not fair comparison to other inputs).
Sound is very detailed, micro and macro dynamic are great, soundstage is believable wide and 3D rendering of good recordings is best I have ever heard in my listening room. Timbre of acoustic instruments is accurate, human voices are very natural with real focus. Bass is controlled and goes very deep. Mids. are sweet (although not as sweet as on Moon DAC) and high frequencies are detailed and crisp but not harsh. Overall sound character in my setup is quite neutral, not too bright or too soft. Just right. Or take it this way. Bright recording sounds bright, dull recording sounds dull, but good recording sounds unbelievable real!

Comparison to Moon 380D dsd:
Moon 380D dsd is great DAC with almost no apparent flaw, but overall sound is quite soft compared to Venus II. In fact, after several weeks of listening to Venus, too soft. Venus II has better macro dynamic, bass has better punch and goes slightly deeper. High frequencies are in par, but again Moon has slightly softer presentation. Soundstage on Venus is little bit deeper and more realistic. The only thing, which Moon does better in my setup are mids. Moon can render mid frequencies with unique sweetness, which is hard to describe. But that’s it. I have to say that Venus II is (at least in my setup) better DAC!

Conclusion:
Venus II DAC represents exceptional value for the money. Great sound and built quality can compete with much more expensive converters.
Hi Koso,
Nice clean setup buddy. Thank you for the nice write up.

Reactions: Koso

Koso

Aug 31, 2020
Trnava, Slovakia
I've just ordered Tubulus Argentus HDMI cable yesterday. Two weeks to wait... Hope it was right choice for my Gaia + Venus II combo. Already sounds great, so I am quite curious what can this HDMi cable bring to table.
What burn in time period do Tubulus owners recommend for this cable?

Jaytor

Dec 22, 2020
OR, USA
I received my Tubulus cable on Monday, so don't have much time on it yet. It does seem to be a small improvement over the cheapo cable I had installed, but so far no where near as much a change as adding the Gaia with i2s connection in the first place.

Reactions: Koso

Blake

Jun 28, 2018
I've just ordered Tubulus Argentus HDMI cable yesterday. Two weeks to wait... Hope it was right choice for my Gaia + Venus II combo. Already sounds great, so I am quite curious what can this HDMi cable bring to table.
What burn in time period do Tubulus owners recommend for this cable?
Argentus is a great choice. After you complete burn in on that cable, go back and swap between NOS and OS and see which one you prefer with the Argentus in place.

It think it sounds very good in both NOS and OS, but I found the Argentus to be most complementary with OS. I think the Argentus is a full-bodied sound while the OS is more open, detailed and airy, so they are synergistic.

Of course, there is no right or wrong answer- your ears, system, music preferences is all that counts. It is nice to have options though with a simple push of a button or swap of a cable.

Reactions: Abyss Man and Koso

Abyss Man

Jun 17, 2019
Argentus is a great choice. After you complete burn in on that cable, go back and swap between NOS and OS and see which one you prefer with the Argentus in place.

It think it sounds very good in both NOS and OS, but I found the Argentus to be most complementary with OS. I think the Argentus is a full-bodied sound while the OS is more open, detailed and airy, so they are synergistic.

Of course, there is no right or wrong answer- your ears, system, music preferences is all that counts. It is nice to have options though with a simple push of a button or swap of a cable.
Hi Blake,
I sooooo agree with you man. I kinda stumbled on OS on the TP and it really is darn damn good. I was not a fan of OS anything but the TP has changed this now. I was also toying arnd with some footers and found that the TP reacts quiet a bit to certain footers as does the Gaia. I now have 6 Cold Ray footers on the Gaia, 3 of them concentrated on where the transformer is and boy did that make a difference. Music is very nicely focused now. I love my life. LOL.

Reactions: Blake

Blake

Jun 28, 2018
Hey Raj! Yes, footers should not be overlooked. I had the same findings for sure- once you get the basics covered and you want to further experiment and tune, footers make a very noticeable difference on these Denafrips DAC's and D/D converters, no doubt.

Reactions: Abyss Man

Abyss Man

Jun 17, 2019
Hey Raj! Yes, footers should not be overlooked. I had the same findings for sure- once you get the basics covered and you want to further experiment and tune, footers make a very noticeable difference on these Denafrips DAC's and D/D converters, no doubt.
Hi Blake,
What footers are u using on the TP? If I may. I’m using Cerabase now, wondering about stillpoint.

cazone

Jul 24, 2020
WhatsApp Image 2021-01-25 at 11.30.49.jpeg
I think the footers under a DAC can play a big role.
My principle would be to look for something to drain internal vibrations out of the DAC. Like the Taiko Daiza platform does.

I'm using pumice stone blocks with little brass plates on top under my Terminatior and the effect is very impressive.

c*

Reactions: Blake and Abyss Man

Abyss Man

Jun 17, 2019
View attachment 74121
I think the footers under a DAC can play a big role.
My principle would be to look for something to drain internal vibrations out of the DAC. Like the Taiko Daiza platform does.

I'm using pumice stone blocks with little brass plates on top under my Terminatior and the effect is very impressive.

c*
Hi,
I see you are also using the IKEA bamboo butcher boards. I'm using a few too.

Reactions: cazone

Blake

Jun 28, 2018
Hi Blake,
What footers are u using on the TP? If I may. I’m using Cerabase now, wondering about stillpoint.

Hey Raj,

Under the TPlus, I am using Stillpoints Ultra's (2 aluminum version, 1 stainless steel- not intentionally, just ended to with a mix of Aluminum and Stainless steel versions). Mapleshade platform, and then the Mapleshade platforms are sitting on Boston Audio Tune Blocks.

Stillpoints.jpg

Oh, and then I installed IsoAcoustic's Stage 1 footers on the audio rack/table on which all the gear is installed (stock pic from IsoAcoustics, not my rack):

IsoStage-1.jpg

I had to flip them the other way around, here they are in my system:

IsoStage-1-2.jpg

Last edited:

StreamFidelity

Jun 30, 2020
Rostock, Germany
griggaudio.de

fis Magic Spacer

Resonances are derived from a ball. ;)

Various balls are available for different resonance frequencies:
- Glass
- Rose quartz
- Steel

Abyss Man

Jun 17, 2019
Hey Raj,

Under the TPlus, I am using Stillpoints Ultra's (2 aluminum version, 1 stainless steel- not intentionally, just ended to with a mix of Aluminum and Stainless steel versions). Mapleshade platform, and then the Mapleshade platforms are sitting on Boston Audio Tune Blocks.

View attachment 74124

Oh, and then I installed IsoAcoustic's Stage 1 footers on the audio rack/table on which all the gear is installed (stock pic from IsoAcoustics, not my rack):

View attachment 74125

I had to flip them the other way around, here they are in my system:

View attachment 74126
Thanks Blake,
Currently eagerly awaiting the arrival of my Tellurium Silver Diamond XLR. Traded in my Black Diamond. Just got word that Tellurium are going to release a Statement version of their USB cable. Looks like a another trade-in is in the pipeline. Currnetly running 2xSD USB . Hope its not too expensive though, but with Tellurium every jump is usually 2x. Ouch!!!!!!

Blake

Jun 28, 2018
Thanks Blake,
Currently eagerly awaiting the arrival of my Tellurium Silver Diamond XLR. Traded in my Black Diamond. Just got word that Tellurium are going to release a Statement version of their USB cable. Looks like a another trade-in is in the pipeline. Currnetly running 2xSD USB . Hope its not too expensive though, but with Tellurium every jump is usually 2x. Ouch!!!!!!

The Tellurium cables look incredibly nice. Expensive, yes, but from what I've read online, they really are exceptional in terms of sound quality.

Reactions: Abyss Man

Nuprin

Jan 9, 2020
NC
Hi, great thread so far!

As I’ve dived down the deep end again into my music system, I currently have an Ares II but also an MSB S202 (way different price ranges but I got an offer to trade in my S201 that I couldn’t pass up!).

Does anyone have experience comparing the Terminator + to MSB Dacs? Does the TP compare with the Direct Dac (I believe the same price range) or even the Premiere? Or is it more of a fair comparison of the TP and Gaia vs the range of MSB dacs?

Considering the Zenith MK III as the server streamer.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing