Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
Other companies have less expensive tonearms, but they aren't as good ...

? https://www.technics.com/ca_en/products/grand-class/direct-drive-turntable-system-sl-1200g.html

Northstar yes yes very funny - Maybe post me a Jelco or a Rega rb250

Please don’t shout me down too hard because In fairness I was more thinking af2 and af3 style derivatives of the af1 so to speak - ie 15k and 10k versions of this arm as opposed to a sub 5k arm which I appreciate is not possible.

A good friend of mine makes guitars for over £10,000 and he has said that when he started his guitars were sold to musicians and music lovers but as demand has forced up the price its become an item purchased by the wealthy who are not necessarily such enthusiasts.

Let me make it plain I appreciate reading about the state of the art and it’s associated theory - it would be better still to have the experience of it.

As to the looks - fair enough -

Derainer

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
Apr 23, 2011
Germany
www.dereneville.de
A good friend of mine makes guitars for over £10,000 and he has said that when he started his guitars were sold to musicians and music lovers but as demand has forced up the price its become an item purchased by the wealthy who are not necessarily such enthusiasts.

The same can happen with this tonearm as well. Who knows...

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
With this design does your expertise have you place the arm as the most important part of the analogue chain? ie is your arm on a decent deck, than a decent arm on an exceptional turntable?
I ask this out of pure interest in your great design - anything that defines and stretches technology must be applauded

Reactions: Vienna

BillWojo

Jun 11, 2015
Burlington, NJ
I'm not answering for the engineers behind this but I think almost all upper tier platters and motors work perfectly fine. Even the higher tier older Japanese models.
Having a tonearm that can trace the groove as closely as it was cut on the master will make the most improvement. Of course compliance, VTF, and VTA must be adhered to as well. Important no matter what you trace the grooves with.
Technically the only type tonearms that can trace the grooves as cut on the master disc is a linear tracker. Any type of swing tonearm introduces geometry errors.
On Edit: I just looked at the new Technics SL-1200G posted above. It has maximum tracking error of over 2.5 degrees verses say my Yamaha that has a maximum tracking error of 0.15 degree. This tonearm has a small fraction of even that.
Lets see what the OP has to say.

BillWojo

Last edited:
Reactions: DerHannes

airbearing

May 2, 2012
Munich - Germany
BillWojo I support your engagement for linear trackers. Nevertheless regarding the PX-1 arm I would not praise it as the worlds wonder No. 8. It had many problems the technicians started to develop it were all faced with. No tangential arm of this period was a breakthrough in terms of sound quality. They had to deal with too many parts having impact on the tracking. The Japanese turntables of this time are a different matter.
I guess if you would compare your Yamaha with a Derenville on a serious turntable in an excellent chain you would open your eyes , sorry ears!

Best
E.

www.audiocirc.com

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
BillWojo I support your engagement for linear trackers. Nevertheless regarding the PX-1 arm I would not praise it as the worlds wonder No. 8. It had many problems the technicians started to develop it were all faced with. No tangential arm of this period was a breakthrough in terms of sound quality. They had to deal with too many parts having impact on the tracking. The Japanese turntables of this time are a different matter.
I guess if you would compare your Yamaha with a Derenville on a serious turntable in an excellent chain you would open your eyes , sorry ears!

Best
E.

www.audiocirc.com
E,
Aren't you itching for one of this space age arm on your Caeles ;). I know you think this arm is technologically sounded.

best,
Tang

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Dereneville on Caeles? This is the second phase of the mantra "When I die, I hope I go the Heaven".

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
There's a saying "nature abhors a vacuum"
And there's a vacuum on that L side Lol.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Derainer

Apr 23, 2011
Germany
www.dereneville.de
I know you think this arm is technologically sounded.
Please let me say something remarkable about this.

In all installations of this linear tracking tonearms, together with our turntables,
the first statement from the customer has always been: "The tonearm and the turntable
have no character of their own - both are completely pushed into the background."

"Only the pure music flows and pours itself comfortably into the room.
This is the perfect condition."

Thanks Rainer

Last edited:

Derainer

Apr 23, 2011
Germany
www.dereneville.de
Hi folks,
and here it is, the new linear tracking tonearm Dereneville DTT-05
He plays perfectly and divinely. Exactly like his big brother.
The first presentation will be in Germany on an audio show in November.

05-frei-gedreht.PNG

thanks,
Rainer

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing