Doctor's Orders-Part Two-The New Listening Room Of Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I think in the context of a $5600 upgrade ($700/Ultra 5 x 8 Ultra 5s), the question is do you feel both are value for money at their respective prices? In the context of my own experience, I found the Ultra 5s and HRS M3/Nimbus Couplers to do something to my existing component I could not find any other way to replicate...and yes, the upgrade in sound was significant enough I am happy to have done it.

Lloyd

In the great scheme of things, this is absolutely staying in my system

When I first sat down to listen, my first impression was that I had give something up (specifically a bit of punch or sharpness) in spite of having amazing improvements in my deep bass and midbass. This bothered me and as I said I felt the change in speaker height would require some adjustment of my upper modules which I preferred to do rather than elevate my chair accordingly.I spent a few hours this morning disassembling the upper modules and re-setting the rear spike positions, let the system warm up and have been here for the past 3 hours.

Much to my pleasure, the punch that I lacked initially was now back. The focus of the singer's and the height of their mouths is now dead on. Once again I can understand Christian's comments that the sound stage of some music will exceed the outer boundaries of the speakers. Well a few tracks I played did in fact do that very thing

I was mesmerized. Once again thanks to you guys for bringing the topic to the fore front and keeping it active.

I am a very happy camper

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Hey Steve -- very happy that this seems to have pushed the ball down the field.

Kudos for walking us through the process. Too often (myself included), we talk about how happy we are at the end point without elaborating upon the trail and error required to integrate a new piece of equipment or tweak. We can all learn from each others experiences and hopefully avoid repeating mistakes.

Last edited:

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
We all have different equipment on different racks in different rooms, I would think results would vary. And of course, we never lack for opinions. Another reason I think it's important for us to understand the context of one's opinions regarding the audition of equipment or application of specific tweaks. Opinions are useless to me without knowing, as a minimum, the makeup of one's system and the way that system is implemented. For example, I know which components, speakers and wires Christian uses, he lists them for all to see. I've seen pictures of his room, which he is kind enough to provide. His opinion means much more to me than someone who regularly chimes in on a specific component or tweak but never reveals the contents of the system on which he is basing his comments. Of course, as always, this is only my opinion.

+ 1 !!

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
We all have different equipment on different racks in different rooms, I would think results would vary. And of course, we never lack for opinions. Another reason I think it's important for us to understand the context of one's opinions regarding the audition of equipment or application of specific tweaks. Opinions are useless to me without knowing, as a minimum, the makeup of one's system and the way that system is implemented. For example, I know which components, speakers and wires Christian uses, he lists them for all to see. I've seen pictures of his room, which he is kind enough to provide. His opinion means much more to me than someone who regularly chimes in on a specific component or tweak but never reveals the contents of the system on which he is basing his comments. Of course, as always, this is only my opinion.
I think most posters have their systems listed, and many with room pictures as well?

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Well here it is end of day and I have to say this system kicks butt. I have been listening for hours and the one thing which I thought was lost with the Ultra 5's is just fine by resetting upper module settings. As Lloyd stated, in the greater scheme of things this is a tweak worth considering.

I am not planning adding any more. If I did, amps would be next and then Playback Designs but no room under the Playback Designs and my sense for my amps is 16 not 8 are required :eek:

These things aren't pretty under my speakers and again if anyone from Stillpoints read this, I wish there would be an anodized black option

jap

Banned
Apr 6, 2012
I think most posters have their systems listed, and many with room pictures as well?

Unless you've heard the poster's system, what difference does it make?

Just because you have a mega buck system like Frank750 or Christian, doesn't mean it's sounds good.

It's what works.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
That Rockport room at RAMF 2012 with Ultra SS under the disc player was using a Playback Designs; the good news is that they thought the Ultra SS sounded better under it than the Ultra 5 did.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV

Just because you have a mega buck system like Frank750 or Christian, doesn't mean it's sounds good.

It's what works.

I agree, but I also think that the makeup of a person's system does help characterize his sonic preferences; not the only thing, certainly. For instance, I know a little bit about Priaptor's system (his speaker and amp choice), but I'd like to know more.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY

It's what works.

Yes it does sound good. Why don't you share your system specifics ?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Well here it is end of day and I have to say this system kicks butt. I have been listening for hours and the one thing which I thought was lost with the Ultra 5's is just fine by resetting upper module settings. As Lloyd stated, in the greater scheme of things this is a tweak worth considering.

I am not planning adding any more. If I did, amps would be next and then Playback Designs but no room under the Playback Designs and my sense for my amps is 16 not 8 are required :eek:

These things aren't pretty under my speakers and again if anyone from Stillpoints read this, I wish there would be an anodized black option

Great stuff, Steve. As was said earlier, thanks for walking us all through this one. That was quite a lot of fun. Enjoy!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Not to mention different floors and positions in the room. The latter is very important. :)

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I've now spent several days doing some serious critical listening and I really love what I hear. However the placement of the Ultra 5's has clearly raised my speakers by 3/4"-1" and therefore the singer's voices and mouths does sound high to me and definitely needs correction

Some terrific ideas have been offered as to putting wood under the chair or it's 4 posts to raise it the corresponding amount to offset the speaker height increase.

Being a short guy I am not keen on putting wood under my chair. For me the answer is simple by adjusting the upper modules on the speaker one click forward. I did this when I took off the rollers and spiked the speakers. IOW the speakers sit ~ 3/4" lower on spikes than rollers. Problem of change in imaging was resolved at that time by moving the upper modules forward one click. IMO the Stillpoints raise the speakers to the same height as the rollers. Thus I will do this adjustment this morning and report back my findings.

Some have commented that the Wilson algorithms allows for this 3/4" wiggle room. For my ears, I am not buying this and adjustment is necessary

Steve, I agree that adjusting the speaker modules should be the better approach. Just adding height to the listening seat will not account for the different reflection times off the ceiling and floor that are a result of the speaker now being 3/4"-1" higher off the ground. In my experience, moving the speaker up or down effects the sound just like adjusting toe-in by 1/8" or some other front/back or side/side movement.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Hey Steve -- very happy that this seems to have pushed the ball down the field.

Kudos for walking us through the process. Too often (myself included), we talk about how happy we are at the end point without elaborating upon the trail and error required to integrate a new piece of equipment or tweak. We can all learn from each others experiences and hopefully avoid repeating mistakes.

Great comment. I agree that this has been a very helpful thread to understand better how the Stillpoints have changed the sound of Steve's system. In fact, these last few pages in this thread have been as or more helpful that those in the dedicated Stillpoints thread. Thanks Steve for sharing your experience with such detail.

Steve Williams

Great comment. I agree that this has been a very helpful thread to understand better how the Stillpoints have changed the sound of Steve's system. In fact, these last few pages in this thread have been as or more helpful that those in the dedicated Stillpoints thread. Thanks Steve for sharing your experience with such detail.

Peter

when I first installed the Ultra 5's I felt that I gained a lot in the bottom end but had given up some some slam which only returned with speaker positions reset. Once done I can honestly say that the changes in my system from the Shunyata additions as well as now the Stillpoints have resulted in the best sound I have ever heard from my system.

I am very happy

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Peter

when I first installed the Ultra 5's I felt that I gained a lot in the bottom end but had given up some some slam which only returned with speaker positions reset. Once done I can honestly say that the changes in my system from the Shunyata additions as well as now the Stillpoints have resulted in the best sound I have ever heard from my system.

I am very happy
Congrats, Steve. Over time, by the way, having isolated every single component with Ultra 5s and HRS M3s, I have noticed my system is now even more sensitive to subsequent changes than ever before. Moving a single damper across the top of the unit has a very big impact now whereas before I did not notice these. That said, the same is true of details from my recordings which is a lot of fun to 'listen anew' and 'rediscover'. Enjoy!!!

Dizzman

Mar 2, 2014
sounds pretty amazing steve. Congrats! i was driving up the 680 today and thought about you. glad to hear all is well.

vinod-david

Mar 3, 2014
India
Wow, beautiful room and gear.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing