EMI/RFI/Noise Testing of Power Conditioners and Power Cables

Gladiator

Oct 8, 2015
1kmv range would be a lot.

This is interesting, wil! So maybe high EMI noise such as that detected by the EM100 doesn't translate into untoward and problematic sonic effects on the sound coming out of our stereos? Is worrying about high EMI readings just audiophile nervosa?

On the other hand it seems to me that a high ambient EMI environment couldn't be doing anything good for the sound coming out of our stereos . . .

It would be interesting if some of our equi-tech, Torus, Audioquest Niagra, Shunyata, Entrec, Tripoint, etc., owners here played around with an EM100 and reported the results.
A few months ago, I took on the task of trying to get my EMI noise down to the low teens or single digits. I discovered that my PS Audio P10 was "noisy", and my P5 was even "nosier". The Torus AVR was "noisy" and the Torus MAX and BIT-15 even "noisier". ..... BUT... when I powered a PS Audio Duet or Quintet via any outlet, the noise levels on the EM100 dropped significantly. (Not on the Duet itself but on the device that powered the PS Audio Duet)...........And just for reference purposes... My wall outlets always linger in the 28-30 range. All the other devices listed above ranged from 35-72.
Deploying 4 PS audio Duets and 1 Quintet all throughout the Wall, P10, P5, TOT & BIT-15, I was able to get readings in the 9-18 range on the EM100. I also observed the same behavior when I tested a TOPAZ Isolation transformer. The EM100 Noise meter was in the 300-400 range when powered by the Topaz. With only one PS Audio Duet plugged into the Topaz the readings dropped to the 30-40's. With a Quintet powered by the Topaz the readings dropped to the 20-30's.

Adding the PS Audio Duets (or Quintet) helped lower the EMI Noise readings on the EM100... This was appealing in the beginning but not in the long run. Something was off. I attempted to remedy the situation by reducing the number of Powered PS Audio Duets in the chain. But, In the end I chose to quit chasing the low EMI readings. Currently, only the Torus Transformers run my 2 channel system and I smile from ear to ear every time I sit for a session, something I never did with the low EMI readings. I often wonder if the initial appeal I experienced was mental. Maybe knowing that I had rid my system of EMI noise using the EM100 might have triggered a satisfaction marker in my head. Does EMI noise translate to anything audible? good or bad......Give it a try, YMMV.

Reactions: Pokey77 and wil

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
A few months ago, I took on the task of trying to get my EMI noise down to the low teens or single digits. I discovered that my PS Audio P10 was "noisy", and my P5 was even "nosier". The Torus AVR was "noisy" and the Torus MAX and BIT-15 even "noisier". ..... BUT... when I powered a PS Audio Duet or Quintet via any outlet, the noise levels on the EM100 dropped significantly. (Not on the Duet itself but on the device that powered the PS Audio Duet)...........And just for reference purposes... My wall outlets always linger in the 28-30 range. All the other devices listed above ranged from 35-72.
Deploying 4 PS audio Duets and 1 Quintet all throughout the Wall, P10, P5, TOT & BIT-15, I was able to get readings in the 9-18 range on the EM100. I also observed the same behavior when I tested a TOPAZ Isolation transformer. The EM100 Noise meter was in the 300-400 range when powered by the Topaz. With only one PS Audio Duet plugged into the Topaz the readings dropped to the 30-40's. With a Quintet powered by the Topaz the readings dropped to the 20-30's.

Adding the PS Audio Duets (or Quintet) helped lower the EMI Noise readings on the EM100... This was appealing in the beginning but not in the long run. Something was off. I attempted to remedy the situation by reducing the number of Powered PS Audio Duets in the chain. But, In the end I chose to quit chasing the low EMI readings. Currently, only the Torus Transformers run my 2 channel system and I smile from ear to ear every time I sit for a session, something I never did with the low EMI readings. I often wonder if the initial appeal I experienced was mental. Maybe knowing that I had rid my system of EMI noise using the EM100 might have triggered a satisfaction marker in my head. Does EMI noise translate to anything audible? good or bad......Give it a try, YMMV.
Thank you very much for telling us about your experience on this!

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Let me try an analogy here…

I can make your race car vibrate less… by detuning and making it less of a race car. But if I know what I am doing and understand the car, I can reduce vibrations without sacrificing the point of the car.

Power conditioning is like that. A simple measurement tells you nothing about sound.
One of the most underrated statements in the plethora of statements on this and any forum (applies to any gear). Congrats mi amigo.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing