Entreq Tellus grounding

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Still waiting for the Pluton and Olympus cables to arrive, stuck in customs. For Pluton placement I only have two options, one, on my rack shelf, but I would have to remove a shelf to have room for it which I don't want to do, or beside the rack on the floor, but because of limited space the Pluton would have to lay on its side. Any reasons I cannot use the Pluton laying on its side?
Yes I know the problem.
My new Sikora turntable caused me a similar problem as both the Scarlatti transport and the tt didn't have enough room to go on the top Entreq rack double rack together, and the Scarlatti is too big to go the other shelves.
I have had to rearrange with two more shelves for my single Entreq rack on order plus a new Tellus Infinity ground box as I also needed to reduce the overload on my Olympus Tellus groundbox. Fortunately, accommodating the new Tellus Infinity should not be a problem, Delivery due in about 10 days time.
I don't believe it would be a good idea to place your Pluton on its side. I have never seen the Entreq ground boxes used in that way and I am sure the internal grounding materials will be tilted in the wrong way to the detriment of its performance. I think you need to find an alternative arrangement.

Reactions: HK Panda

dts-99

Nov 15, 2018
How effective would it be to just ground my pream?
This is one of the top three spots that I would connect to the Entreq ground box as all your components connected to the pre.

The next spot will be the power conditioner if you have one. The most expensive Entreq ground cable that I used was connected to there.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
This is one of the top three spots that I would connect to the Entreq ground box as all your components connected to the pre.

The next spot will be the power conditioner if you have one. The most expensive Entreq ground cable that I used was connected to there.
Yes I agree.
My top power cable, an Atlantis Infinity, connects my power block to the mains and is earthed with an Apollo Infinity ground cable,

HK Panda

Nov 28, 2012
HK
What a great post...super detailed and informative! I thought I would add my own personal experiences/observations having now completed the setup and settling in of the Entreq system.

After several weeks of listening to the latest in Entreq grounding (after not exploring grounding in nearly 12 years)...conclusion: We are keeping the Tripoint and adding an Entreq dual Pluton & Olympus Infinity T system to it. Observations and and listening notes as follows:

Final Setup
- Tripoint Troy SE: Zanden 4-box Chassis Ground + Torus Grounding Post
- Entreq Dual Plutons + Olympus Infinity Tungsten (full complement of Olympus Wiring & Peak 4 Binding Posts
- 7 Totally Isolated individual Grounding Modules
- 1 x Pre Grounding Posts
- 1 x DAC Signal Ground
- 1 x Pre Signal Ground
- 1 x Sub Signal Ground
- 1 x Each Mono
- 1 Split to 'supercharge' each Mono
- Peak 4s across the board where there is a cable connected. On unconnected grounding posts, original wooden binding post worked best with only exception being the Subwoofer.

Listening Notes - Trial Set Up
We originally started with 1 x Entreq Pluton + 1 x Olympus Infinity T. It took 5.5 days for the first iteration to bake in...and it was both shocking and well worth the wait:
- Day 0-1: I do hear more mid/bass detail and power...some extension...it IS what I was looking for directionally...but was that all we'd get?
- Day 2-3.5: OK better...its not something you would readily pull out of the system...but it is expensive for what it is
- Day 4.-4.5: Just about making me 60-40 in favor of justifying the cost
- Day 5.5: Blew me away into 'I would not have the system without it any longer'

Listening Notes - Final Set Up
We then went to dual Plutons + Olympus Infinity T to give each connection its own separate grounding module...plus giving 1.5 grounding modules to each mono. This system took 9.5- days to get to wow...and around 12.5 days to settle down finally.

Results?

The best way I can describe something [that no other component has ever done before [including Tripoint which is about extreme clarity and purity of detail] for music is:

1.Super-hero reflexes, strength and agility. The Wilsons sound more like electrostatics than I have ever heard them before...BUT also maintaining the sheer depth/power of cones. I am able to cerebrally appreciate/listen/pay attention to and 'study' more Glenn Gould solo piano technique, or more interplay between Clapton and the rest of the band, or Yo Yo Ma's counterpoint to his fellow musicians at Mandolin and Bass...but at the same time, because I can do that effortlessly, without trying...it really is emotionally just super super gratifying.

2. Timing, timing, timing of the most minute touches go from being unheard not just to being heard but to becoming actual musical moments to relish...a pregnant pause in between 2 piano keys, the extra hold on a mandolin string.
- On deep house electronic, whereas you might count 7 lines of coordinated bass rhythms and 3-5 separate sound effects...now what happens is that 4 of the 5 of those separate sound effects suddenly become another rhythm that match the first group of 7 rhythms.
- Very, very subtle, but you realize that those tracks were layered with the most subtle of syncopated rhythms in time with the main rhythms of the music...something that was not apparent before...that zooming left to right swish, or that whispered word in the back...were actually all done in time with the main beats. VERY COOL.

3. Musical Nuance. There is SOMETHING about its ability to remove that fine dust which obscures the extra pressure of the fingertip, or the light touch at the end of the bow...but doing so all the time, with every note, across the entire musical score...you are suddenly filled with a level of musical insight.
- Put another way, it gives you that extra special sense of insights that the best electrostatics do in terms of fingering, nuance, technique...BUT (and its a big but)...BUT you get that fulness and depth of power and corporeal note saturation that comes from the best of cones (except with again super hero speed/reflexes)

4. LIFE in your notes. Unlike any single component, the Entreq has contributed most to allowing the system to uncover LIFELIKE FULLNESS in the musical notes.
- Again, you really do get at quite an upclose/personal granular level a sense of the artists' interplay on something like Bach Trios between Yo Yo Ma and his fellow musicians on mandolin and bass.
- But in addition to the interplay element, each instrument has a far greater corporeal BODY present in the room.
- The mandolin certainly has the weight of a real instrument in the room.
- The Cello certainly approaching in-the-room power (NOTE: it is not as much about the actual live power of the true cello instrument but more how the live cello strokes can 'attack the air' around you which often gets slightly 'blurred' or 'slurred' in systems where it becomes more obvious, it is system, not the real thing. Here with the electrostatic-like reflexes plus the power/depth of note of the cone...you get a startling amount of instantaneous power...which is what I feel when up close with a cello in real life.

This includes a great sense of propulsion and power as well as super-soft pianissimo notes which seems to have unlocked the system whereby now the Robert Kodas in place produce notably greater power than the Gryphon Mephisto but with far greater detail...whereas before it had the detail over the Mephisto but its power only edged out the Mephisto overall.

5. In visual/camera terms, the best analogy is Entreq is like the moment you see Pinocchio (thru a Pentax Zoom) suddenly turn into a real boy (but now thru a Nikon F/2.0)...the natural movement, intonation become vividly natural...but you ALSO get very very unique insight into details like the 'character of your space' (ie, so not just bigger space or deeper space, but you get a sense of the character/nature of that space (ie, so a large recording studio, a small damped rehearsal room, a small, brick/stone walled-underground jazz club space, etc)

6. The Tripoint Troy SE is spectacular at purity of detail, cleanliness and given its age at over 12 years is a testament to Miguel's design prowess. We are keeping it.

7. The Entreq Pluton is their latest design and it is quantums ahead of the 12-year old Silver Tellus (which also cost a lot less). The Pluton and Tungsten-based Entreqs are about flow, rhythm...(its work on deep house electronic is just artwork)...but delivers this thru electrostatic reflexes in your system, unleashing a lot more sheer power/dynamic range and then by removing grunge allowing a finely hidden world of detail to emerge forward.

I remain an enormous fan of Tripoint and am glad to say the Tripoint Troy SE is here to stay. In the same breath, Entreq has done masterful work which, in a word, has elevated music in our home to an artform which is well beyond our highest expectation when we set out to reexplore grounding. Well done, Entreq.
I really enjoyed your review and read it several times and was a deciding factor for me to pull the trigger on the Pluton. I wonder, do you recall the exact albums and tracks you used for this review? I am always on the lookout for well recorded music.

HK Panda

Nov 28, 2012
HK
Yes I know the problem.
My new Sikora turntable caused me a similar problem as both the Scarlatti transport and the tt didn't have enough room to go on the top Entreq rack double rack together, and the Scarlatti is too big to go the other shelves.
I have had to rearrange with two more shelves for my single Entreq rack on order plus a new Tellus Infinity ground box as I also needed to reduce the overload on my Olympus Tellus groundbox. Fortunately, accommodating the new Tellus Infinity should not be a problem, Delivery due in about 10 days time.
I don't believe it would be a good idea to place your Pluton on its side. I have never seen the Entreq ground boxes used in that way and I am sure the internal grounding materials will be tilted in the wrong way to the detriment of its performance. I think you need to find an alternative arrangement.
You are probably correct. I have fired off a message to Entreq in any case just to get their take on it. The Pluton might be able to just barely bit behind the right speaker, but it will be a really tight squeeze.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I really enjoyed your review and read it several times and was a deciding factor for me to pull the trigger on the Pluton. I wonder, do you recall the exact albums and tracks you used for this review? I am always on the lookout for well recorded music.
Hi iamtimbabb,

Glad to be of help with one person's opinion and experience. That said, I have also heard (and own) Tripoint Troy SE and spent probably now 12 years with grounding in the system...and this latest generation is quite special.

In terms of albums, my own instinct tells me the most valuable tracks will be the ones that you like the most and know the best...it gives you greater ability to discern changes, and lets face it...its more enjoyable to do all the ridiculous testing we all do -- over and over and OVER again!

As for me:
- Enya - Tall Ships track (from Orinoco Flow)
- Clapton - 1st, 2nd and 4th tracks (Unplugged)
- Zimmer - Opening Track (Sherlock Homes - the 2nd movie)
- I use a LOT of deep house electronic music
- John Digweed - Opening Track CD 1 (Cordoba)
- Fabric 15, 99
- Recondite (several of their albums)
- Nirvana - Opening Track (Unplugged)
- Tron Legacy - Opening Track, 2, 17 (Soundtrack of the more recent movie, not the original from the 1980s)
- Bach Goldberg Variations - Track 1, 2, 5 (Glenn Gould 1981 Recording Sony)
- Then AFTER that, I tend to play tracks I know well but do not obsessively know...the reason is that your impression is more important than your (read: my) OCD focus on laser-pin-pointed details. And what I find is that this is equally informative in a different way...I find with these kinds of secondary albums, you come away (when there are major improvements) with "wow...that album sounds radically different...the recording venue suddenly comes into the picture, etc, etc). I find this happens less often when you know the track 'too well'...and I suspect your brain is able to interpolate all the details or is already expecting the music a certain way, and you suddenly are doing too much work internally to really hear with a more 'objective ear'. My own personal experience anyway.
- As for what these secondary albums might be:
- Williams - Harry Potter Soundtracks
- Beethoven 5th - New Jordi Savall
- Chopin Nocturnes - Ivan Moravec
- Jon Iverson - Alternesia
- Zimmer - DaVinci Code and Angels & Demons Soundtracks
- Mark Isham - 1492 Soundtrack

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

HK Panda

Nov 28, 2012
HK
Yes I know the problem.
This reply from PO seems to indicate it's not a problem to place it on it's front however strongly suggests I use Magma feet.

Thunderbird Clipping (1?09?15 AM).jpg

Anyone have any experience with Magma feet?

Reactions: Barry2013

HK Panda

Nov 28, 2012
HK
Hi iamtimbabb,

Glad to be of help with one person's opinion and experience. That said, I have also heard (and own) Tripoint Troy SE and spent probably now 12 years with grounding in the system...and this latest generation is quite special.

In terms of albums, my own instinct tells me the most valuable tracks will be the ones that you like the most and know the best...it gives you greater ability to discern changes, and lets face it...its more enjoyable to do all the ridiculous testing we all do -- over and over and OVER again!

As for me:
- Enya - Tall Ships track (from Orinoco Flow)
- Clapton - 1st, 2nd and 4th tracks (Unplugged)
- Zimmer - Opening Track (Sherlock Homes - the 2nd movie)
- I use a LOT of deep house electronic music
- John Digweed - Opening Track CD 1 (Cordoba)
- Fabric 15, 99
- Recondite (several of their albums)
- Nirvana - Opening Track (Unplugged)
- Tron Legacy - Opening Track, 2, 17 (Soundtrack of the more recent movie, not the original from the 1980s)
- Bach Goldberg Variations - Track 1, 2, 5 (Glenn Gould 1981 Recording Sony)
- Then AFTER that, I tend to play tracks I know well but do not obsessively know...the reason is that your impression is more important than your (read: my) OCD focus on laser-pin-pointed details. And what I find is that this is equally informative in a different way...I find with these kinds of secondary albums, you come away (when there are major improvements) with "wow...that album sounds radically different...the recording venue suddenly comes into the picture, etc, etc). I find this happens less often when you know the track 'too well'...and I suspect your brain is able to interpolate all the details or is already expecting the music a certain way, and you suddenly are doing too much work internally to really hear with a more 'objective ear'. My own personal experience anyway.
- As for what these secondary albums might be:
- Williams - Harry Potter Soundtracks
- Beethoven 5th - New Jordi Savall
- Chopin Nocturnes - Ivan Moravec
- Jon Iverson - Alternesia
- Zimmer - DaVinci Code and Angels & Demons Soundtracks
- Mark Isham - 1492 Soundtrack

Hope that helps.
Thank you for that.

In your prior review you made this comment. Which Yo Yo Ma, and Glenn Gould were you referring to?

"Glenn Gould solo piano technique, or more interplay between Clapton and the rest of the band, or Yo Yo Ma's counterpoint to his fellow musicians at Mandolin and Bass...but at the same time, because I can do that effortlessly, without trying...it really is emotionally just super super gratifying."

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thank you for that.

In your prior review you made this comment. Which Yo Yo Ma, and Glenn Gould were you referring to?

"Glenn Gould solo piano technique, or more interplay between Clapton and the rest of the band, or Yo Yo Ma's counterpoint to his fellow musicians at Mandolin and Bass...but at the same time, because I can do that effortlessly, without trying...it really is emotionally just super super gratifying."
Ahhh...Glenn Gould - Bach Goldberg Variations 1981 Performance (Sony) and Yo Yo Ma - Bach Trios with Chris Thile

HK Panda

Nov 28, 2012
HK
Anyone out there have tried the Entreq Magma Feet?

Brave Browser Clipping (1?43?14 PM).jpg

Attachments

• Brave Browser Clipping (1?43?14 PM).jpg
    Brave Browser Clipping (1?43?14 PM).jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 1

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi iamtimbabb,

Actually, yes...though not as thoroughly as some would have. A set of 3 was dropped off as part of the Entreq Tungsten trial of the Pluton...and we ended up putting them next to the IEC of the DAC and amps...not to support any weight...just because when I was trying to hoist the powercable on top, i placed the Magma just next to the powercable in anticipation of lifting the cable...and I was surprised to hear a difference.

I thought I was crazy...and just left it next to the power cable to listen for a few minutes properly. In the end, the Magma was too thick to place under the powercable (we have something else underneath to keep the powercable stable since it is very heavy). But because of the difference in sound, I left it there.

Later that week, I asked why...and apparently there is 'some' element of the design that has some kind of magnetic field or other effect...frankly, I have no idea. All I know is that I thought these were just for weight-bearing/vibration...and I heard something better when it was placed next to the IEC.

As for its physical vibration isolation capability...I have no idea.

HK Panda

Nov 28, 2012
HK
Hi iamtimbabb,

Actually, yes...though not as thoroughly as some would have. A set of 3 was dropped off as part of the Entreq Tungsten trial of the Pluton...and we ended up putting them next to the IEC of the DAC and amps...not to support any weight...just because when I was trying to hoist the powercable on top, i placed the Magma just next to the powercable in anticipation of lifting the cable...and I was surprised to hear a difference.

I thought I was crazy...and just left it next to the power cable to listen for a few minutes properly. In the end, the Magma was too thick to place under the powercable (we have something else underneath to keep the powercable stable since it is very heavy). But because of the difference in sound, I left it there.

Later that week, I asked why...and apparently there is 'some' element of the design that has some kind of magnetic field or other effect...frankly, I have no idea. All I know is that I thought these were just for weight-bearing/vibration...and I heard something better when it was placed next to the IEC.

As for its physical vibration isolation capability...I have no idea.
What was the difference? Can you describe it?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Density of signal, particularly a sense of greater weight in the mids and lower mids. A richer sense of color without 'colorizing'...hope that makes sense.

HK Panda

Nov 28, 2012
HK
Density of signal, particularly a sense of greater weight in the mids and lower mids. A richer sense of color without 'colorizing'...hope that makes sense.
More meat on the bones?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
More meat on the bones?
Exactly. Enough that with one arm placing the Magma towards the back of the unit and my head partly under the shelf to reach...I was surprised to hear a difference to string music while I was placing it. And again...I had no idea it had anything in it relating to EMI...I thought it was ONLY for vibration isolation.

That said, more impact on DAC IEC inlet than on the 2 amps.

HK Panda

Nov 28, 2012
HK
Exactly. Enough that with one arm placing the Magma towards the back of the unit and my head partly under the shelf to reach...I was surprised to hear a difference to string music while I was placing it. And again...I had no idea it had anything in it relating to EMI...I thought it was ONLY for vibration isolation.

That said, more impact on DAC IEC inlet than on the 2 amps.
Which footer did you try?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

HK Panda

Nov 28, 2012
HK
I accidentally confirmed the Olympus Ten T (OTT) connected to the digital RCA on my DAC makes a huge difference. When I was shuffling around ground boxes the other day (making room for the Pluton), I moved the OTT over a bit and it seems to have loosened the wooden connector for the ground wire. I didn't notice it was loose and the music was just okay, but I felt something was missing, nothing was really grabbing me and I put it off as I was tired. Tonight same thing, so I decided to check all connections, and it was the OTT that was missing. After resetting that, the magic came back, and tracks I was just skipping the day before, became more involving and emotionally engaging.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I accidentally confirmed the Olympus Ten T (OTT) connected to the digital RCA on my DAC makes a huge difference. When I was shuffling around ground boxes the other day (making room for the Pluton), I moved the OTT over a bit and it seems to have loosened the wooden connector for the ground wire. I didn't notice it was loose and the music was just okay, but I felt something was missing, nothing was really grabbing me and I put it off as I was tired. Tonight same thing, so I decided to check all connections, and it was the OTT that was missing. After resetting that, the magic came back, and tracks I was just skipping the day before, became more involving and emotionally engaging.
I have had the same happen on at least 2 if not 3 occasions where I woke up...flat system. Thought it was something else...sub, the track, etc, etc. Frustrated...then checked connections...aha! Back in action.

Reactions: Frankie67

dts-99

Nov 15, 2018
Anyone out there have tried the Entreq Magma Feet?

View attachment 92292

There are three models of the Magma footer, the Magma Slim, the Magma T Slim and Magma T.

According to their web site, the Magma T works on the magnetic field surrounding a component other than vibration control. You can read the lines on what the other two models can do.

As I have always said, a set of good footers under the Entreq ground box will put its performance to another level. That's why I always get the larger multi-compartments ground box to minimize the number of footers I need to buy. So I have a set of four Magma T under the Hero and that is it.

Yes, they did provide a very positive improvement over the Finite Elemente Cerabase Classic that I have been using with the Hero for a couple of months. More lively sounds and more musical. The base is a tag less but is more refine.

My end game footers that I used almost every where are the Center Stage 2M 1.0 from Critical Mass Systems. Too bad I did not have a spare set of these to compare directly with the Magma T under the Hero. I have confident that the Magma T will beat out a lot of other footers on the market but may still shy of the Critical Mass Systems footers that I used elsewhere.

As I have other tweaks that tackled on the EMI/RFI issues, the feature of the Magma T that worked on the magnetic field may not be a huge benefit to me but will be for others. The cost of the Magma T is very pricy though.

Reactions: Raizen and HK Panda

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing