Esoteric K-01XD versus K1X?

MyFairLady333

Jun 7, 2021
Folks-

From what I can tell, that have both have the same internal hardware and software, but the K1X offers thicker walls and offers the option of adding an external power supply (for $$$$). Are there other differences? I have the K-01XD and could upgrade to the K1X for not much more money. Are there other differences?
Thank you in advance - Gerry

MyFairLady333

Jun 7, 2021
I will let you know what happened, although it may be that no one is interested, because the issue is too "esoteric." . Esoteric audio (Japan) is a great company - I bought a K-01XD, but it was from a build run in which the players would not load any SACDs that had a multichannel play layer. Since the disks would not even load, there was no opportunity to change the play area to SACD or CD, because the unit has to be stopped with the disk in the machine, which could not be done. Esoteric will replace the unit for free, because they knew about this issue, or, the they will sell me a K1X at a much reduced price. Although this may seem rational to some folks, to me it speaks volumes about the character and integrity of the company Esoteric (part of TEAC).

dandylinpsst

Jun 12, 2010
I found the Esoteric new models launched during the COVID-19 were more or less bug. A lot less time to do product stability testing.
My new PS1(esoteric K1x powersupply) also has the circuit design problem of ground loop .Be careful!!

Honey1

Mar 15, 2022
I found the Esoteric new models launched during the COVID-19 were more or less bug. A lot less time to do product stability testing.
My new PS1(esoteric K1x powersupply) also has the circuit design problem of ground loop .Be careful!!
Hello, I am new here. I am waiting for a K1X I ordered a few week ago and I am planning on buying a PS1 in a few months. Could you elaborate on the issue you encountered with the PS1? In particular, do you know if Esoteric is aware of the problem and if they fixed it?

Thanks a lot!

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
i have recently purchased a K-01xd and G-01x clock and found them a significant upgrade from the earlier models of the same class.

was looking into the grandioso and power supply/ clock combo but too large and expensive for my tastes, but they wouldn’t be so much more money just for the cases.

good luck with whatever you decide to buy

Honey1

Mar 15, 2022
i have recently purchased a K-01xd and G-01x clock and found them a significant upgrade from the earlier models of the same class.

was looking into the grandioso and power supply/ clock combo but too large and expensive for my tastes, but they wouldn’t be so much more money just for the cases.

good luck with whatever you decide to buy
Thank you Nemal1. I got a very good price on the K1X, and the same seller also made me a very good offer on the PS1.

My position on clocks is rather complex. At the end of the day, I feel a good clock makes certain aspects of the presentation better, but at the expense of other ones. I am not trying to be dogmatic about this, nor to convince anybody, it's just what I feel. Anyway, because of this, buying a clock is not my priority right now.

As for your purchase, I have heard very good things about the K-01xd and the G-01x. So, congrats!

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
Thanks very much, it’s surprising how good the new player/clock combination is compared to the previous ones. I also use the E-02 phono stage which is also pretty good!
if they made a power supply for mine, I’d probably purchase it as they can make a large improvement as well.

Windows X

Feb 28, 2011
www.fidelizer-audio.com
K-01XD focus on ATLAS transport with DAC design from N-05XD. K1X Grandioso uses ATLAS transport with DAC design from N-01XD. Personally I'd rather have digital output than digital input in K-01XD given how ATLAS will perform exceptionally good for years to come.

If you want the ATLAS transport and better discrete DAC design from N-01 series, you need to get K1X. And it's not just ATLAS transport but better power supply, clock system, and chassis along with other improvements in parts also.

D1X is flagship discrete DAC design with parts placement to reduce EMI in circuit. Sadly I can't afford P1X+D1X nor have room to install them so I'm settling down with K1X instead.

Regards,
Keetakawee

Reactions: Birdwatcher and ozy

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
K-01XD focus on ATLAS transport with DAC design from N-05XD. K1X Grandioso uses ATLAS transport with DAC design from N-01XD. Personally I'd rather have digital output than digital input in K-01XD given how ATLAS will perform exceptionally good for years to come.

If you want the ATLAS transport and better discrete DAC design from N-01 series, you need to get K1X. And it's not just ATLAS transport but better power supply, clock system, and chassis along with other improvements in parts also.

D1X is flagship discrete DAC design with parts placement to reduce EMI in circuit. Sadly I can't afford P1X+D1X nor have room to install them so I'm settling down with K1X instead.

Regards,
Keetakawee
The K-01XD (which I own) came out a year or two earlier than the N-05XD. I would say that it's DAC implementation is a step above the N-05XD's, closer to the N-01XD's without the streaming features/additional inputs. Although both the K1X and the K-01XD have ATLAS transports, the K1X's version of this transport is a mite heavier duty.

Last edited:

Windows X

Feb 28, 2011
www.fidelizer-audio.com
I don't think so. The K-01XD (which I own) came out a year or two earlier than the N-05XD. I would say that it's DAC implementation is a step above the N-05XD's, closer to the N-01XD without the streaming features/inputs. Although both the K1X and the K-01XD have ATLAS transports, the K1X's version of this transport is a mite heavier duty.

Sure DAC in K-01XD is better version of N-05XD but both still shares the same design principles. K1X and N-01XD use 4 single opamps in each board. K-01XD and N-05XD uses dual version having 2 dual opamps in each board. You can inspect internal circuit boards yourself but my point still stands for K-01XD being ATLAS + improved N-05XD and K1X being ATLAS + improved N-01XD.

Reactions: ozy

Whbgarrett

Oct 7, 2019
Thought I would chime in here. I have a slide deck from Esoteric that I will try to attach later. The deck is mostly about the new DAC architecture they adopted, starting with the D1X, and which has now shown up in the K1X, K01XD, N01XD, N05XD and K03XD. However, slide #15 explains the difference in the DAC implementation details between and among the D1X, K1X, K01XD and K03XD. A reasonable summary is that the K1X DAC section has more in common with that of the D1X, but is a slightly lighter weight implementation (in addition to being one box and having a transport), there is more significant step down to the DAC in the K01XD, and the K03XD is a lighter weight version of the DAC implementation as compared to the K01XD. I read elsewhere that the DAC implementation in the K01XD is identical or nearly so to that in the N01XD, except one has a transport and one has a streamer. That leads me to believe it is possible/likely that the N05XD is the same DAC as the K03XD. As someone noted, the Atlas transport in the K1X is the same as the P1X (without its own box and I think lesser power supply implementation) and the transport in the K01XD is a lighter weight version of the Atlas than in the K1X and the P1X. Finally, adding the PS1 to the K1X brings its performance even closer to the D1X, and further distances it from that of the K01XD.

Last edited:

dandylinpsst

Jun 12, 2010
Hello, I am new here. I am waiting for a K1X I ordered a few week ago and I am planning on buying a PS1 in a few months. Could you elaborate on the issue you encountered with the PS1? In particular, do you know if Esoteric is aware of the problem and if they fixed it?

Thanks a lot!
If your system uses single-ended(RCA) connections, will cause your speakers to produce a noticeable hum due to the ground loop.
My dealer has reported to the Esoteric factory, and a jump cable(black wire) was added under the instructions of the Esoteric factory.

Attachments

• ED1AD617-E526-46A7-8D66-DF78F2A99F31.jpg
    ED1AD617-E526-46A7-8D66-DF78F2A99F31.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 28
  • EE76848A-DFB0-41C9-958D-B0C03B34739C.jpg
    EE76848A-DFB0-41C9-958D-B0C03B34739C.jpg
    301 KB · Views: 28
Reactions: manubewin

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing